Jump to content

leflore

Worst sports city year ever?

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Max basically took himself out, fine, he knows his limits.

So you bring in quasi-starter Smyly and treat it like a new ballgame. He's your man for the 8th and 9th unless he totally blows up. In how many of his 18 starts in 2012 or 25 starts in 2014 (he didn't start any games in 2013) did Smyly give up 5 runs in the first 2 innings of the game? I'm betting only once or twice.

Mumbles brought in Smyly after Veras had already faced 2 batters.  Smyly faced Ellsbury, and proceeded to walk him on 6 pitches.  Then the old Coot immediately pulled Smyly and brought in BBQ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

Mumbles brought in Smyly after Veras had already faced 2 batters.  Smyly faced Ellsbury, and proceeded to walk him on 6 pitches.  Then the old Coot immediately pulled Smyly and brought in BBQ.

Or for sure, I know what DID happen. I was suggesting what should have happened.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Or for sure, I know what DID happen. I was suggesting what should have happened.

I applaud you for that! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But at least college basketball is going...okay...

 

This coming from the UM fan that got shelled by MSU today ;) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Veras screwed the pooch in game 2 then gave up the grand slam to Victorino in game 6 which essentially put the game and series away.  He was another trademark DD reliever acquisition.   He loved to go out and trade for relievers that had good superficial stats but didn't have the peripherals to match it, and like clockwork they would generally regress after we got them.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yoda said:

And what a ****ing crybaby Hunter was about this. Trying to make everyone feel sorry for him. Can't say I've ever disliked a Tiger as much as him. 

I forget what he was whining about.  What happened?

I was never really much of a fan of his.  He was a good player and all.  But I don't think he was the player that the Tigers had hoped he would be for that two year contract.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

He was an overrated phony most of his career.  

I kind of wonder about that.  Supposedly he was a great clubhouse guy, but I wonder sometimes about those things.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I forget what he was whining about.  What happened?

I was never really much of a fan of his.  He was a good player and all.  But I don't think he was the player that the Tigers had hoped he would be for that two year contract.

He posted a 2 WAR and 800 OPS his first season and was 3 WAR overall in two seasons in Detroit. I think they got what they had hoped for. He was slightly below his career averages but that should be expected with someone in their age 37 and 38 seasons.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I kind of wonder about that.  Supposedly he was a great clubhouse guy, but I wonder sometimes about those things.

Everyone who smiles a lot in public is a "great clubhouse guy". 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He posted a 2 WAR and 800 OPS his first season and was 3 WAR overall in two seasons in Detroit. I think they got what they had hoped for. He was slightly below his career averages but that should be expected with someone in their age 37 and 38 seasons.

And made a lot of dumb mistakes in the field at important times. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Yoda said:

And made a lot of dumb mistakes in the field at important times. 

well for sure he was just a terrible fielder coming back the next year after going over the fence. I always believed watching him play that Torii's back was hurt a lot worse in that fall than he ever let on. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

He posted a 2 WAR and 800 OPS his first season and was 3 WAR overall in two seasons in Detroit. I think they got what they had hoped for. He was slightly below his career averages but that should be expected with someone in their age 37 and 38 seasons.

$26M for 3 WAR?  I doubt that is the going rate.

Edit:  I will say, after reviewing his states with Detroit, he did hit a bit better than I thought he did.  I was thinking his OPS+ in his final season with Detroit was below 100, but he was 115 and 114.  He was 91 in the next (and his final) season in Minnesota.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Casimir said:

$26M for 3 WAR?  I doubt that is the going rate.

Prince Fielder put up half that WAR in his two seasons in Detroit and paid him a lot more than Hunter. Victor Martinez in 2013 made the same as Hunter and posted a WAR a full win lower than Hunter. Magglio Ordonez his last four seasons in Detroit posted the same WAR as Hunter did in two seasons and made a lot more money. Hunter's offensive numbers were the same as they always had been. His defense regressed which is expected for a 37 year old. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

79/80 was pretty bad....the Lions started Jeff Komlo at QB for God's sake

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lei Pong said:

79/80 was pretty bad....the Lions started Jeff Komlo at AN for God's sake

Bobby Layne was before my time, but in my Lion's lifetime the QB position up until Stafford has been one long slow motion train wreck. Greg Landry was reasonably competent, Danielson almost reasonably competent. Scott Mitchell gave us one season out of the blue.  It would have been interesting to see how good a healthy Chuck Long could have been. Other than that - nada.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still think Landry would have been special had he not ruined his knees. But I was a kid whose spirit had yet to be crushed by the Ford family

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Yoda said:

How the **** do people remember this stuff? 

Bref 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Bobby Layne was before my time, but in my Lion's lifetime the QB position up until Stafford has been one long slow motion train wreck. Greg Landry was reasonably competent, Danielson almost reasonably competent. Scott Mitchell gave us one season out of the blue.  It would have been interesting to see how good a healthy Chuck Long could have been. Other than that - nada.

only a lions fan raised on lions qb ineptitude would remember danielson as almost reasonably competent.

the two best lions qbs of my lifetime are matt stafford (of course) and probably erik freaking kramer.

  • Confused 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

remember when the lions chose to sign scott mitchell to a huge contract instead of warren moon?  ah lions, dont ever change.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I still recall leaping out of my chair after Chuck Long completed his first pass which went for a TD. I had hope, which is a delusion as a Lions fan. It's fact. They are below ****.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Lei Pong said:

79/80 was pretty bad....the Lions started Jeff Komlo at QB for God's sake

The Lions went 2-14  in 1979, tied with San Francisco for the NFL's worst record

The Pistons went 16-66 in 1979-80, the worst record in the then 22-team NBA

The Wings got 63 points in 1979-80, only the 4th worst record in the then 21-team NHL, BUT the 3 teams behind them were all ex-WHA teams playing their first NHL season after the merger.

However, the Tigers went 85-76 in 1979 and 84-78 in 1980, which is better than any of the current Detroit teams will do.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Prince Fielder put up half that WAR in his two seasons in Detroit and paid him a lot more than Hunter. Victor Martinez in 2013 made the same as Hunter and posted a WAR a full win lower than Hunter. Magglio Ordonez his last four seasons in Detroit posted the same WAR as Hunter did in two seasons and made a lot more money. Hunter's offensive numbers were the same as they always had been. His defense regressed which is expected for a 37 year old. 

Fielder was another drunk Uncle Mike impulse buy because of the Martinez injury.  I'm not sure using that contract as a basis for Hunter being good makes much sense.

Martinez' first contract was fine considering the flukey season out due to injury.  I would guess his 2013 was hampered due in part to recovery from the injury, probably more so timing than actual physical condition.  If you look at his 2013 splits, I think those results make sense that he wasn't quite ready for swinging a bat like he had previously.  A 1st half OPS of .693 followed up by .913.  And then a 5.5 WAR in 2014.  Over the life of that 4 year contract, Martinez was a 10 WAR player for 3 seasons of work.

I don't think Ordonez' contract is a good comparison because of the different nature of the team at the time of that deal.  The Ordonez deal was an attempt to build a foundation when Detroit wasn't a reasonable free agent destination.  It was different when Hunter signed his deal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I always fantasize about the Tigers situation if they had signed Beltre instead of VMart prior to 2011... I have no idea if that was possible.  I don't recall any talk of it or anything like that, just something I think about.  

DIdn't DD also say that they did have a deal to get VMart from Boston in 2009 but instead we got.... Aubrey Huff.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Buddha said:

remember when the lions chose to sign scott mitchell to a huge contract instead of warren moon?  ah lions, dont ever change.

Warren Moon was at the end of his career by that point. It's not like he was that much better than Mitchell. Mitchell had one good season and Moon had two. IIRC Moon was traded to Minnesota and not signed and was one of the highest paid players in the league. It would seem more Lions like to trade assets for a near 40 year old QB who was among the highest paid players.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

DIdn't DD also say that they did have a deal to get VMart from Boston in 2009 but instead we got.... Aubrey Huff.

 

I don't know if he ever came right out and said it but he definitely implied this.

 

On a 180 from the topic of this thread, I recently read 'Terror in the City of Champions,' about the mid-1930s in Detroit.  The Tigers, Wings, Lions, and Joe Louis were all winning championships then, and the book alternates chapters between discussing sports stuff (mostly Tigers, and heavily Mickey Cochrane) and some crime/terror organizations that were brewing in the City at the time.  It's a pretty good baseball fix for the winter, with a little other stuff thrown in too.  The guy who wrote it is (was?) a history professor at Detroit Mercy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,685
    • Total Posts
      2,986,176
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...