leflore

Worst sports city year ever?

The Pistons are actively shopping Drummond. If they do I have a hunch they'll sit Griffin much of the rest of the year. They are 2 games from the bottom 3 in the nba. It's conceivable they end up in the bottom 3. 

That would leave Detroit with 4 sports teams in the bottom 3 of their respective sport. They could have 4 teams draft in the top 3 this spring/summer.

Has there ever been a city with a worse year in sports?

Depressing.  And MSU and U of M’s football programs are no longer nationally relevant.

The Lions have the best chance of being competitive, followed by the Tigers. The Red Wings are handicapped by the salary cap and I don’t see the Pistons going to be able to attract elite talent via free agency and have no trade assets to accomplish that.

If the Tigers could start adding core players via free agency, going back to last offseason, they could systematically address their lineup holes as the stud pitchers start to arrive.  As it stands right now, we probably have only one player in next year’s lineup that also be in 2023’s—Miggy, and not because he’ll be deserving.

Pray, or do whatever you do, to ensure Paredes, Greene and whomever our #1 pick is, will all be able to contribute by then.  And maybe we’ll get lucky along the way with guys like Meadows and Packard and future high draft picks.

1 hour ago, Tenacious D said:

The Red Wings are handicapped by the salary cap

The one thing in the NHL is that I would guess that it has the least level of true executive accountability - it's still basically the old boy network of coaches and GMs circulating around the league. Yes, they all get fired all the time, but they all get hired back and nothing in how teams do things in the league changes much. That leaves an opening for a guy like Yzerman who is really driven, to pull his team up just because of greater competence. Now this assumes Steve is that guy, but that is the hope in his hiring.

Still, it will be precious little help for the Wings this year.

Cleveland, 2012.  LeBron James won the NBA Finals with the Heat, the Baltimore Ravens won the Super Bowl, and the Cleveland Indians..... oh, wait, nobody goes to those games anyway.

15 hours ago, leflore said:

The Pistons are actively shopping Drummond. If they do I have a hunch they'll sit Griffin much of the rest of the year. They are 2 games from the bottom 3 in the nba. It's conceivable they end up in the bottom 3. 

That would leave Detroit with 4 sports teams in the bottom 3 of their respective sport. They could have 4 teams draft in the top 3 this spring/summer.

Has there ever been a city with a worse year in sports?

This reminds me of a tweet I saw on new year’s eve asking what was your biggest sports heartbreak of the decade. I felt like being a U-M and Detroit sports supporter, there weren’t many other fans that could beat it. 

M basketball lost twice in the championship game. 

the tigers lost a World Series and an ALCS that was essentially a World Series. 

M football lost that 2016 OSU game and was 1-9 overall (and the one hardly counts).

the lions had that playoff loss against Dallas that was kind of bull**** (this was basically a Super Bowl for lions fans).

a Georgia/Atlanta fan had the double whammy of the college football Championship and Super Bowl blown games. 

trying to think of other teams/cities that lost multiple championship games or at least semi-final games of import (without a corresponding win close to it).

Anyone?

15 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

Depressing.  And MSU and U of M’s football programs are no longer nationally relevant.

The Lions have the best chance of being competitive, followed by the Tigers. The Red Wings are handicapped by the salary cap and I don’t see the Pistons going to be able to attract elite talent via free agency and have no trade assets to accomplish that.

If the Tigers could start adding core players via free agency, going back to last offseason, they could systematically address their lineup holes as the stud pitchers start to arrive.  As it stands right now, we probably have only one player in next year’s lineup that also be in 2023’s—Miggy, and not because he’ll be deserving.

Pray, or do whatever you do, to ensure Paredes, Greene and whomever our #1 pick is, will all be able to contribute by then.  And maybe we’ll get lucky along the way with guys like Meadows and Packard and future high draft picks.

One quibble: Michigan State football was never nationally relevant.  :)

The fact that the LIONS have the best chance to be competitive tells you how bad things really are considering we all know the Lions will never really be competitive.

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I've pinpointed the exact moment everything went south in Detroit sports.

torii-hunter-cop.jpg

And what a ****ing crybaby Hunter was about this. Trying to make everyone feel sorry for him. Can't say I've ever disliked a Tiger as much as him. 

It was a totally catchable ball and he just missed it. A Detroit team hasn't won a playoff series since. I felt that 2013 Tigers team was their best from that era. I feel they were better than the 2006 team. 

7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

He should have caught it. 

He should have killed himself. 

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It was a totally catchable ball and he just missed it. A Detroit team hasn't won a playoff series since. I felt that 2013 Tigers team was their best from that era. I feel they were better than the 2006 team. 

The '13 Tigers were the best team in baseball that year and just totally blew it on the big stage. The '06 team was far more magical, but '13 definitely had more talent.

9 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

The '13 Tigers were the best team in baseball that year and just totally blew it on the big stage. The '06 team was far more magical, but '13 definitely had more talent.

I think the 2006 team was more complete but the 2013 had more top end talent. The 2013 team wasn't without their flaws. They couldn't run or defend and only had two good relievers. The bullpen was the reason they were in that situation with the bases loaded. 

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

He should have caught it. 

It never should have been hit out there!   

Looking back ..I thought Leyland totally lost his senses that 8th inning.  Max Scherzer had given up just 1 run and KO'd 13 in 7 innings and 108 pitches total.  But during the regular season Max had exceeded 108 pitches something like 14 times in his 32 starts ..and the Red Sox would be opening their half of the 8th inning with their 8th, 9th, and leadoff hitters.  But instead, of having Max come back out for the 8th inning ..Leyland brings in Jose Veras. 

Well ... while Jose quickly gets the first batter out, he then just as quickly gives up a double.  Two batters, three pitches total, one out, one runner, Tigers lead still 5-1.  But Leyland pulls Veras and brings in Drew Smyly to face Jacob Ellsbury, whom he walks on 6 pitches.  Then Mumbles  immediately pulled Smyly after he walked the only batter he faced and brought in BBQ (Al Alberqueque.)  BBQ retired Shane Victorino, but then gaveup a single to Dustin Pedroia to load the bases.  Leyland then pulled BBQ (after 8 pitches) and brought in closer Joaquin Benoit to face David Ortiz with 2-out & bases loaded.and Tigers still leading 5-1.  BUT to the Tiger's dismay ..Benoit's first pitch was ... BOOM ... Grand Slam by David Ortiz ... Tie Game!

Then to top that off ..Leyland did not allow his best reliever and closer Benoit to pitch the bottom of the 9th inning even though Benoit had only thrown 8 pitches in the 8th inning.  Instead, he sat Benoit and brought in Rick Porcello.  Unfortunately for Tiger fans ..a single, error, wild pitch, and single walked it off for the BoSox.

Relief pitchers for the Tigers during the 8th inning ..Veras 3 pitches, Smyly 6 pitches, BBQ 8 pitches, Benoit 8 pitches. 

Again, ..looking back ..I think Leyland's biggest mistake that 8th inning was bringing in Smyly when he did ..and then even worse ..limiting Smyly to just 1 batter / 6 pitches.  Smyly had been absolutely terrific out of the bullpen that year.  

Basically, the old Coot Leyland outsmarted himself!

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think the 2006 team was more complete but the 2013 had more top end talent. The 2013 team wasn't without their flaws. They couldn't run or defend and only had two good relievers. The bullpen was the reason they were in that situation with the bases loaded. 

Their starting pitching was absolutely terrific ..and they had terrific hitters.  But as you correctly pointed out, they were terrible at running the bases and bad on defense.  Their bullpen was poor  ..but I thought was also mismanaged too much.

Nevertheless, I agree the bullpen should have been able to hang on to the 5-1 lead ..but it was also mismanaged that 8th inning.

18 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

The Lions have the best chance of being competitive, 

5763428843_ce57f1f3a9_m.jpg

• Haha 1

It's hard to blame Leyland for bringing in your best reliever to face their best hitter in the biggest situation in the game. I may have brought in Phil Coke. The only reason Coke was on the roster was to pitch to Ortiz so you may as well use him. 

2 hours ago, Yoda said:

And what a ****ing crybaby Hunter was about this. Trying to make everyone feel sorry for him. Can't say I've ever disliked a Tiger as much as him. 

He was an overrated phony most of his career.  

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

It's hard to blame Leyland for bringing in your best reliever to face their best hitter in the biggest situation in the game. I may have brought in Phil Coke. The only reason Coke was on the roster was to pitch to Ortiz so you may as well use him. 

I totally understand that thought.. but IMHO ..mismanagement of the pitching staff / bullpen is what got it to that point. 

After one out and runner on second via double (and with the 5-1 lead still intact) ..I thought Mumbles mismanaged the bullpen as if every batter thereafter were the go-head run.  For all practical purposes ..the old Coot set that Grand Slam up via his decisions.

6 minutes ago, Shelton said:

talking about 2013 again i see 

Why not?  2013 is still very ingrained in our collective Tiger memories.

45 minutes ago, Tigrrfan said:

It never should have been hit out there!   

Looking back ..I thought Leyland totally lost his senses that 8th inning.  Max Scherzer had given up just 1 run and KO'd 13 in 7 innings and 108 pitches total.  But during the regular season Max had exceeded 108 pitches something like 14 times in his 32 starts ..and the Red Sox would be opening their half of the 8th inning with their 8th, 9th, and leadoff hitters.  But instead, of having Max come back out for the 8th inning ..Leyland brings in Jose Veras. 

Well ... while Jose quickly gets the first batter out, he then just as quickly gives up a double.  Two batters, three pitches total, one out, one runner, Tigers lead still 5-1.  But Leyland pulls Veras and brings in Drew Smyly to face Jacob Ellsbury, whom he walks on 6 pitches.  Then Mumbles  immediately pulled Smyly after he walked the only batter he faced and brought in BBQ (Al Alberqueque.)  BBQ retired Shane Victorino, but then gaveup a single to Dustin Pedroia to load the bases.  Leyland then pulled BBQ (after 8 pitches) and brought in closer Joaquin Benoit to face David Ortiz with 2-out & bases loaded.and Tigers still leading 5-1.  BUT to the Tiger's dismay ..Benoit's first pitch was ... BOOM ... Grand Slam by David Ortiz ... Tie Game!

Then to top that off ..Leyland did not allow his best reliever and closer Benoit to pitch the bottom of the 9th inning even though Benoit had only thrown 8 pitches in the 8th inning.  Instead, he sat Benoit and brought in Rick Porcello.  Unfortunately for Tiger fans ..a single, error, wild pitch, and single walked it off for the BoSox.

Relief pitchers for the Tigers during the 8th inning ..Veras 3 pitches, Smyly 6 pitches, BBQ 8 pitches, Benoit 8 pitches. 

Again, ..looking back ..I think Leyland's biggest mistake that 8th inning was bringing in Smyly when he did ..and then even worse ..limiting Smyly to just 1 batter / 6 pitches.  Smyly had been absolutely terrific out of the bullpen that year.  

Basically, the old Coot Leyland outsmarted himself!

How the **** do people remember this stuff? 

51 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

He was an overrated phony most of his career.  

I wouldn't not say 'most' of his career. He was a fine player for a number of years in Minn and LA. Most players with outgoing personalities that are willing to talk to reporters end up  'overrated' because  they end up with more media profile, but is that some kind of 'fault' on their part? Criticizing the player for that is like blaming players for taking more money than they are 'worth'.

Granted he wasn't the most graceful player about losing losing his skills when it happened, but few are.

1 hour ago, Tigrrfan said:

Max basically took himself out, fine, he knows his limits.

So you bring in quasi-starter Smyly and treat it like a new ballgame. He's your man for the 8th and 9th unless he totally blows up. In how many of his 18 starts in 2012 or 25 starts in 2014 (he didn't start any games in 2013) did Smyly give up 5 runs in the first 2 innings of the game? I'm betting only once or twice.

19 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

. The Red Wings are handicapped by the salary cap 

Interesting point, fun to debate. Because I think the Wings are helped by the salary cap, given that they have what we think to be a smart GM in Yzerman. If anything, I could see the Wings being hurt by the draft lottery - while the Tigers now have "won" the #1 overall draft slot twice, the Tigers still haven't drafted in the top 5 and aren't assured of top 3 this year.