lordstanley

January 2020 Regular Season Thread

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

how has bowey been?  is he getting any better?  does he have potential?

OK. A bit. Probably not.

35 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Not a fan of Bowey

Looks like guy who should be better. Seems to have the tools anyway.

Wings lose 5-2. 

I still don't expect Givani Smith to be more than a fringe NHLer/solid AHLer, but he did score a goal today.

3 point game for Larkin.

Osgood still referring to the "new NHL". Wasn't that just an immediate post-2004 lockout term?

26 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Wings lose 5-2. 

I still don't expect Givani Smith to be more than a fringe NHLer/solid AHLer, but he did score a goal today.

3 point game for Larkin.

Osgood still referring to the "new NHL". Wasn't that just an immediate post-2004 lockout term?

good to see Larkin's game coming back to what it was late last season.                                                                                                                      

IDK - how many guys is it going to take to turn a team that is one line plus one d-man into a reasonable team? I'll guess around one average plus 2 well above average D-men and one whole additional front line - and that assumes  Mantha can figure out how to stay on the ice in the future - which seems to be an open question.  So that is about 6 guys. Say Zadina and Seider are two of the 6 that leave 4 more guys plus at least one goalie. Damn steep hill for Yzerman to climb.

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Looks like guy who should be better. Seems to have the tools anyway.

He seems like he has zero hockey IQ

10 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

He seems like he has zero hockey IQ

Too bad it goes that way sometimes. 

7 hours ago, lordstanley said:

OK. A bit. Probably not.

If he's pushed to a bottom pairing, is he good enough?

Seider-Hronek top pairing. Cholowski-Lindstrom 2nd pairing...

Bowey and whomever at the bottom... First question is he good enough for NHL bottom pairing?

Second question: when do we see this? 2020-21? 2021-22?

21 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

Seider-Hronek top pairing. Cholowski-Lindstrom 2nd pairing...

Bowey and whomever at the bottom... First question is he good enough for NHL bottom pairing?

Second question: when do we see this? 2020-21? 2021-22?

McIsaac was just plus 4 for the Canadian winners in the world junior tourney.

5 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Lindstrom is supposedly making serious strides at Grand Rapids....

So... who makes up our 2nd pairing...?

I'd say the only sure bet defenseman currently in our system is Hronek. Good chance for Seider.

Otherwise all remains to be seen. It's just as likely that none or 1 of Cholowski, McIsaac, Lindstrom and Bowey become regular NHL defenseman as it is that 3 or 4 of them will.

12 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I would have been a plus 1 on that squad.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

I'd say the only sure bet defenseman currently in our system is Hronek. Good chance for Seider.

Otherwise all remains to be seen. It's just as likely that none or 1 of Cholowski, McIsaac, Lindstrom and Bowey become regular NHL defenseman as it is that 3 or 4 of them will.

Yeah, proof is in the pudding.

But I'm eager to see what becomes of that group...

not exactly great timing by AA or Mantha to be injured so much this year.  might save the wings some money though.

15 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

In my opinion I don't think Bowey has the ability to play anywhere effectively on a NHL roster.  I'm not sure what including him on the bottom pairing does outside of give you a body.  His skill-set seems to lend itself best to transition/offense, but he doesn't seem like he would be capable of helping run a power play since his decision making is atrocious.  His defensive IQ/positioning is so bad (honestly does he have to chase the puck at all times?) that I wouldn't want him on the penalty kill and you have to shelter him with offensive zone starts.  I'm just not sure why you would want him on the team if you have any sort of decent options.  It was a decent try on a guy drafted highly with good physical tools, but I honestly can't stand watching him play hockey (so maybe I am a bit biased in all of this).

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I would have been a plus 1 on that squad.

Flip side to that argument is being used a bit on a very good team like that when other options were available speaks well of him.

Zadina with 2 goals so far tonight.

I've never seen a team quickly give up a bunch of 2nd period goals so often as this year's Wings.

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Zadina with 2 goals so far tonight.

I've never seen a team quickly give up a bunch of 2nd period goals so often as this year's Wings.

Yup. They go into these lapses where everything breaks down. They played them reasonably even in the third but even was not enough.

I don't get the design of the Wings power play. The most skilled player you have on the ice (Larkin) never touches the puck. 

Trevor, I hate to break it to you, but a cup contender doesn't have room for a washed up guy who is always hurt.  The Wings managed to trade Kindl back in the day but I can't imagine anyone will give up anything of value for Daley's corpse.