lordstanley

January 2020 Regular Season Thread

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Now 6-1 early in 2nd. When I heard they pulled Howard, did it mean they pulled the goalie completely and are playing with an empty net or something?

lol.

If the Wings sign a good new goalie, hire a good new coach and draft at #1 overall, I could see them improving by 30 points next year.

5 minutes ago, drownwithyou said:

It is also hilarious how bad Mike Green is.

I'd like to see the Wings go to a shootout competition at the end of every game. A real shootout. Whoever is the worst Wings player in that game gets shot at point blank.  Should only take a couple of weeks to clear out much of the deadwood.

• Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Buddha said:

I wonder if Ken Holland is embarrassed?

I highly doubt if Holland sees any of this as his fault.

9 hours ago, lordstanley said:

If the Wings sign a good new goalie, hire a good new coach and draft at #1 overall, I could see them improving by 30 points next year.

Coach is the least of my concerns right now.  That line-up doesn't have enough to win.

10 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Coach is the least of my concerns right now.  That line-up doesn't have enough to win.

For certain they don't have enough goal-tending. If nothing else about Holland's tenure as GM was malpractice his development of goal tending was.

They don't have enough of anything.

I get Howard fell off a cliff and it isn't terribly surprising given his age.  That is fair and true - no arguments.

But is there anything they are league average (or better) at?  Defense?  Scoring?  Power play? Penalty kill?

Breaking it down further, do they posses the puck well?  Pass well?  Break-out well?  Maintain good D-zone coverage?  Generate offense out of O-zone puck movement?  Do they forecheck well?  Backcheck well?  Do they have a good transition game?

I'm not trying to be daft with those questions - and I certainly would like to have a discussion to be convinced otherwise - but I literally think the answer to all of those questions is no.  They have no identity / a thing they can fall back on / build off of because they aren't good at any single thing as a team as far as I can tell.

Coincidentally, I had a buddy text me the line-up last night in advance of the game - and maybe it is just me - but I just look at it and I don't see how they can compete let alone win consistently with that roster. They have one forward line plus maybe 1-2 other forwards worth a crap.  No good D-pairings.  None.  Goaltending you already hit on.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

But is there anything they are league average (or better) at?  Defense?  Scoring?  Power play? Penalty kill?

Breaking it down further, do they posses the puck well?  Pass well?  Break-out well?  Maintain good D-zone coverage?  Generate offense out of O-zone puck movement?  Do they forecheck well?  Backcheck well?  Do they have a good transition game?

I'm not trying to be daft with those questions - and I certainly would like to have a discussion to be convinced otherwise - but I literally think the answer to all of those questions is no.  They have no identity / a thing they can fall back on / build off of because they aren't good at any single thing as a team as far as I can tell.

Nor are they even particularly young or promising.  Mantha, Larkin, AA and Bertuzzi are not kids. Prospect pool, even including Seider and Zadina, is above average (as it should be having missed playoffs for 3 straight years) but not spectacular.

And don't have scrappiness or toughness or entertaining to fall back on like some of the weaker '80s teams.

1988 Wings reunion time...I wonder if it's too early for a Gerry Gallant type of coach. Blash is the guy who is paid handsomely to get beaten down every night. Unless Gallant has a magic touch with the kind of player development that they need. Vegas a ready made contender because of the sweetheart deal Bettman made with them.

I really, really didn't like Gallant as a player. Of course what kind of player he was has zip to do with what kind of coach he is, but it would take some serious winning for me to get past the gut level negative reaction I have every time I see his mug in a hockey arena.

I'd suggest Yzerman call Gallant and tell him to take the rest of the season off, watch a lot of Wings games and NHL games at coach from the comfort of his La-Z-Boy, and prepare to sign with the Wings around April 15th.

Gallant seemed to do a good job turning around the Panthers and then had Vegas playing a little over their heads (or they were playing that way in spite of him), so I would say he seems like a solid coach at least.

The thing that gives me pause is both how he was let go in Florida and Vegas.  He famously wasn't called a taxi or anything after fired by the Panthers (https://www.businessinsider.com/florida-panthers-fire-gerard-gallant-make-him-wait-for-taxi-2016-11), and then was suddenly let go from Vegas in what seems like bizarre timing/reasoning from the GM.  So I wonder while he is known as a players coach he may rub people in the front office the wrong way...

Sounds like the Wings played one of their better games tonight. But fell to the Pens 2-1 in OT. Zadina scores the only goal, for a promising 6G 6A 12PTS in 23 games.

A 2018 2nd round pick by the Wings, #33 overall, Jonatan Berggren is out for the rest of the year for should surgery. Looked at as a possible steal at the time, there's been little good news about him since draft day.

Ovechkin's hat trick today gives him 692 career goals. Passes Lemieux and ties Yzerman on the same day! Now tied for 9th all-time.

Wings trail Florida 2-0 after 1.

Larkin on a breakaway scores his 100th career goal. By my count, he's now 7th in goals from the 2014 draft and tied for 4th in points. Draft position in parentheses.

Goals

David Pastrnak (25) - 168

Leon Draisatl (3) - 152

Viktor Arvidsson (112) - 113

Brayden Point (79) - 109

Nikolaj Ehlers (9) - 108

Sam Reinhart (2) - 103

Dylan Larkin (15) - 100

- 8th place is William Nylander (8) with 76

Leon Draisatl (3) - 385

David Pastrnak (25) - 352

Sam Reinhart (2) - 245

Dylan Larkin (15) - 245

- 4th is Braynden Point (79) with 240 and 5th is Nikolaj Ehlers (9) with 136.

The Wings are playing a matinee in Denver today against the Avs. Which I see as good news, because the vast majority of the Wings' losses this season have been in night games.

how has bowey been?  is he getting any better?  does he have potential?