lordstanley

January 2020 Regular Season Thread

27 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Assist to the crowd (or around half the crowd) on the Canadian anthem tonight when Karen Newman's mic failed:

Never let be said Detroit fans don't have class.

It's a good thing they were playing Montreal so they had butts in the seats to sing it....

I sing the Canadian national anthem every other morning in the shower. On the days I'm not singing Taylor Swift.  Some mornings I even try to switch from French to English like the masters do. To me, Roger Doucet was every bit a Habs '70s legend as Guy Lafleur, Yvon Cournoyer and Danny Gallivan.

The Wings are like toddlers, you turn your back on them for a moment and then, bam, instant chaos. Even against Ottawa. Was 2-0 Wings (Bertuzzi, Larkin), quickly 2-2. Late in 3rd.

Haha, the Wings in one 10-second sequence in OT had 4 great chances to win it. Trickles wide, great glove save, stomach from point blank, goalpost.

Now off to a shootout.

I'm done with Nielsen taking shootout attempts, who cares about his ancient history.

Wings win! 2 in a row!

Wings going for their 3rd in a row today, versus a beatable opponent Buffalo. But the Wings already trail 2-0 midway through the 1st.

Hronek has 12 points in past 15 games. Drafted #53 overall, from that 2016 draft he's 13th in points and 18th in games played.

Wings down 3-0 with still 7 minutes to go in 1st.  Will need to stumble into the intermission and turn on the Chiefs-Texans game to see what a comeback looks like.

Just saw the recap. Howard didn't look great on a couple of those but defensive breakdowns all over the place and in general week/meek play around their own net. Doesn't seem to be any hope for the D this year. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Just saw the recap. Howard didn't look great on a couple of those but defensive breakdowns all over the place and in general week/meek play around their own net. Doesn't seem to be any hope for the D this year. 

Howard is terrible. Sure, to some extent his bad stats are due to how bad the rest of the Wings has been, but he has done himself no favours. At one point today it was 5 goals on the first 18 shots. Of the 55 NHL goalies who have played at least 14 games this season (and thus are counted in the NHL.com stats):

- Howard is dead last 55th in GAA at 4.10. The 54th place goalie is at 3.34. The top place goalie is at 2.08

- Howard is dead last 55th in Save % at 88.0%. The 54th place goalie is at 89.0%. The top place goalie  is at 93.2%.

Goalie is a funny position though. Some top 10 goalies in stats this season include Tristan Jarry, Pavel Francouz and Darcy Kuemper.  Some bottom 10 goalies in stats this season include Henrik Lundqvst, Sergie Bobrovsky, Penna Rinne and Jonathan Quick.

Howard has never been good one on one so the breakaway goal was predictable. The goal where he gave up his right post also seem like a bad decision. There was one a on cross ice pass to wide open guy who a Wing defender had lost I can't blame him for, and probably the one where Zadina had stayed close to his man at  the left circle but could only manage to wave at him as he got off a close range shot for the goal. But yeah - all in all Howard has not had a good season.

With Mantha unable to keep himself on the ice and Cholowsky in GR, two of the points of optimism going into the season have gone a-glimmering and Yzerman is talking draft picks.  I'm not sure they care too much how Howard plays at this point.

I thought this Yzerman interview was good. He acknowledged that the Tampa build was a bit easier b/c he inherited Stamkos and Hedman.

are we ready to say the cholowski-chychrun swap was a poor one yet?

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Nope, good trade.  I'd take Hronek over either Cholowski and Chychrun right now and without that extra pick that came back in the trade I'm not sure the Wings get him (might have still drafted Giavani Smith instead). The problem was Holland blowing the saved Datsyuk money that offseason on Frans frickin Nielsen for 6 years, Darren Helm for 5 years, and Danny DeKeyser for 6 years. Shouldn't have signed any of those, just let the Wings sink in 2017, they ended up missing the playoffs anyways.

Michael Rasmussen is finally playing again. Scored 2 goals for Grand Rapids on Saturday in his first game back.

Too soon on Cholololol.

He has the skills / ability and is young.  Defense is a hard position to play and he got his *** kicked.

We will see in a year whether he put the bit back in and made the necessary adjustments.

16 hours ago, Buddha said:

Ignoring Cholowski and creating cap space I'm fine with the swap merely for Hronek, this is an odd question to me tbh.

1 hour ago, drownwithyou said:

Ignoring Cholowski and creating cap space I'm fine with the swap merely for Hronek, this is an odd question to me tbh.

just making conversation.

• Like 1

Howard pulled after 3 goals in first 7 minutes.  Goal by Hronek and yet another point from Fabbri.

4-1 NYI after 1.

26 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Howard pulled after 3 goals in first 7 minutes.  Goal by Hronek and yet another point from Fabbri.

4-1 NYI after 1.

Now 6-1 early in 2nd. When I heard they pulled Howard, did it mean they pulled the goalie completely and are playing with an empty net or something?