Deleterious

Drummond Trade Rumor

I would check with Dallas now that Porzingis' is having knee issues again.  Looks like they still own their first round pick.  And as good as Doncic is, I think they have legit aspirations of a Western Conference title.  

What does Dallas do with Porzingis when he comes back in 2 games?  Him and Drummond can't be on the floor together.  

Dallas is on the right track, but they are a long ways away from competing for the conference title.  Adding Drummond is a setback, not a step forward.  Luka, and all star ball handlers, need 4 shooters around them.

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

What does Dallas do with Porzingis when he comes back in 2 games?  Him and Drummond can't be on the floor together.  

Dallas is on the right track, but they are a long ways away from competing for the conference title.  Adding Drummond is a setback, not a step forward.  Luka, and all star ball handlers, need 4 shooters around them.

C'mon Del, no-one who knows what they are doing is going to go hard for Drummond, so why assume that? :wink:

Why trading Detroit Pistons center Andre Drummond is harder than it sounds

checked Saturday morning with a league source familiar with the Knicks’ front office thinking and was told, “there’s nothing there.”

The source said it was the Pistons who initiated discussions with a package centered around Drummond and another Pistons player for big man Julius Randle and guard Frank Ntilikina, a player the Pistons have previously tried to pry from the Knicks.

I looked for something from Ellis about this and couldn't find anything.  He even wrote an article about Drummond a few days ago and he didn't mention this.  And he had a paragraph or two about his contract.  

Trae Young not playing for Atlanta tonight.  In my mind he is being held out because he is part of the Drummond deal.

boston would make sense in the kemba/andre pnr sense.  but the salaries dont work.

atlanta and charlotte both make sense, atlanta with trae young makes a lot of sense.  but again, both can just wait until the offseason and then sign him.  why pay for a 1/2 year rental?

Bostons makes no sense.  

He doesn't fit how they play offense.   He doesn't fit how they play defense.  

https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/1/3/21048825/the-boston-celtics-should-pass-on-a-trade-for-andre-drummond-nba-rumors-trade-deadline-danny-ainge

Does Drummond fit Boston’s offensive and defensive schemes? For all of his prodigious talent, the answer to that is a resounding no. Since Brad Stevens got to Boston, the Celtics primary center has been asked to do two things: play inside-outside on offense and be able to hold their own on the perimeter in switches on defense. Drummond doesn’t fit either of those descriptions.

8 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Bostons makes no sense.  

He doesn't fit how they play offense.   He doesn't fit how they play defense.  

https://www.celticsblog.com/2020/1/3/21048825/the-boston-celtics-should-pass-on-a-trade-for-andre-drummond-nba-rumors-trade-deadline-danny-ainge

Yet Boston signed Kanter, a guy who is worse than Drummond on defense. Not saying Drummond makes a lot of sense for them, but Drummond would be an upgrade over him defensively. 

2 hours ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Yet Boston signed Kanter, a guy who is worse than Drummond on defense. Not saying Drummond makes a lot of sense for them, but Drummond would be an upgrade over him defensively. 

Context.

Boston would probably also take Drummond to play 15 minutes a night at $10M per year.  

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

boston would make sense in the kemba/andre pnr sense.  but the salaries dont work.

atlanta and charlotte both make sense, atlanta with trae young makes a lot of sense.  but again, both can just wait until the offseason and then sign him.  why pay for a 1/2 year rental?

You pay for the rental so you can get the jump on signing him before he hits the market by getting him used to the team and selling him on staying. You let him hit the market and he has a much bigger choice available to him and a lesser chance of signing with your team.

There's something to be said about getting a player accustomed to your culture and team. 

Different sport but I remember when the Tigers traded for Anibal Sanchez, he was just a rental so in the off-season the Cubs offered him a big contract and he gave the Tigers a chance to match it before signing. When they did he chose to resign with the Tigers cause he ended up liking it his time with them during the rental period.   If the Tigers never traded for him I think he would've just taken the Cubs offer.

I know Paul George eventually requested a trade, but does George ever consider signing with OKC had he not been traded there? Atlanta is not going to be the top destination for free agents. It's easier to woo a free agent and sell them on the future when they already play for you.

You also need to consider the price.

Supposedly Atlanta wont add a first round pick.  So what are they offering?  Expiring contracts and a 2nd rounder or two?  That is nothing and I would give it up easy to get a guy I want in early.

well yeah, if the price is nothing then why not?

but if the price is nothing why should the pistons do it?  

and is andre really going to opt out in this year when there are only a few teams with cap space?

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

Context.

Boston would probably also take Drummond to play 15 minutes a night at $10M per year.  

Context is also that Boston could get him for fairly cheap if they don't feel confident in Hayward's health. 

1 minute ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Context is also that Boston could get him for fairly cheap if they don't feel confident in Hayward's health. 

You wishing isn't context.  

10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

well yeah, if the price is nothing then why not?

but if the price is nothing why should the pistons do it?  

and is andre really going to opt out in this year when there are only a few teams with cap space?

I try to flip the expiring I get for him.  

Dedmon wants out of Sacramento.  Flip the expiring for him and Ariza.  Ariza is only guaranteed $1.8M next year but his cap hit this year is $12.2M.  Someone looking to clear cap space can send you some picks + matching salary and save themselves $10M to use this summer, or get under the luxury tax, etc.  Dedmon sucks and you probably can't move him and he has two years left on his deal.  Don't care, I want bad players the next year or two to get better draft picks.  I flip him for a 2nd rounder if I can, or keep him, doesn't matter to me either way.

Burn and turn, accumulate assets and lets get this rebuild on the way.  

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

You wishing isn't context.  

I didn't say it is likely. In fact, if I am Boston I don't trade Hayward. He has actually looked really good when healthy this year.

But to act like Boston would never go for a less than elite defender doesn't hold weight when they are playing Kanter. And the reality is that their big-man situation is atrocious at the moment, and could be their undoing when they face the top teams in the East who all have top level Centers (Embiid, Gasol/Ibaka, Lopez, Adebayo, Sabonis/Turner). 

Drummond isn't necessarily the answer to any of those guys (with the exception of possibly Toronto & Indiana) but he would put up a much better fight than what they currently have.

3 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I try to flip the expiring I get for him.  

Dedmon wants out of Sacramento.  Flip the expiring for him and Ariza.  Ariza is only guaranteed $1.8M next year but his cap hit this year is $12.2M.  Someone looking to clear cap space can send you some picks + matching salary and save themselves $10M to use this summer, or get under the luxury tax, etc.  Dedmon sucks and you probably can't move him and he has two years left on his deal.  Don't care, I want bad players the next year or two to get better draft picks.  I flip him for a 2nd rounder if I can, or keep him, doesn't matter to me either way.

Burn and turn, accumulate assets and lets get this rebuild on the way.  

im all for being creative, i just think those deals are hard to do.

7 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

I didn't say it is likely. In fact, if I am Boston I don't trade Hayward. He has actually looked really good when healthy this year.

But to act like Boston would never go for a less than elite defender doesn't hold weight when they are playing Kanter. And the reality is that their big-man situation is atrocious at the moment, and could be their undoing when they face the top teams in the East who all have top level Centers (Embiid, Gasol/Ibaka, Lopez, Adebayo, Sabonis/Turner). 

Boston would never go for it. 

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

im all for being creative, i just think those deals are hard to do.

Sure, but you put yourself in position so they can happen and then hope for the best.

Morey and the Rockets seem to be trading first round picks for cap space every summer.