Jump to content

Deleterious

Drummond Trade Rumor

Recommended Posts


The Hawks have all of their future 1st round picks.  They also own:

The 2020 Brooklyn 1st round pick, lottery protected until 2022.  If Brooklyn hasn't sent Atlanta a 1st round pick by 2022 they will send them their 2nd round pick in 2022 and 2024.

The 2022 OKC 1st round pick, lottery protected for 2022.  If the pick falls in the lottery protection in 2022, OKC will instead send a 2024 and 2025 2nd round pick.

Atlanta also has a bunch of 2nd round picks stockpiled, for whatever that is worth.  

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My guess.

Chandler Parsons + The OKC 1st round pick and The Nets 1st round pick.

Two 1st round picks seems like a lot for Drummond.  But both are lottery protected and can never be higher than 15.  A real chance one or both picks turn into 2nd rounders.  So two isn't a lot here.

Second option.

Chandler Parsons + Hawks 2020 1st round pick lottery protected in 2020, top 5 protected in 2021, unprotected in 2022.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

why would the hawks give anything up if drummond is opting out?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Buddha said:

why would the hawks give anything up if drummond is opting out?

I like the idea of paying a small premium to add a guy for 40 games.  Let him see what playing with Young is like, how the culture around the team is, the city, fans, etc.  Just an easier sell come free agency time.  

It's also possible Atlanta leaked this to drive the price down on Steven Adams.  They were rumored to be talking with OKC a week or two ago.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Buddha said:

why would the hawks give anything up if drummond is opting out?

They would do it with the expectation of keeping him. They have a ton of young talent + more incoming...selling a little with your future draft picks to see how Young responds to a guy like Drummond could be worth the price. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

My guess.

Chandler Parsons + The OKC 1st round pick and The Nets 1st round pick.

Two 1st round picks seems like a lot for Drummond.  But both are lottery protected and can never be higher than 15.  A real chance one or both picks turn into 2nd rounders.  So two isn't a lot here.

Second option.

Chandler Parsons + Hawks 2020 1st round pick lottery protected in 2020, top 5 protected in 2021, unprotected in 2022.  

 

I'd do it. Would result in a major tank this year and next + give the team cheap assets. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A late Christmas present is better than no Christmas present. Hopefully they can make a deal to get something for him before the deadline. Keeping him past the deadline would be a(nother) grave mistake for the franchise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Now this is exciting.

Boston has Hayward's contract and draft picks. 

Dallas has THJ's contract  and draft picks. 

Toronto has...Stanley Johnson? Really, I don't see how/why Toronto gets involved here when they have Gasol/Ibaka at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Now this is exciting.

Boston has Hayward's contract and draft picks. 

Dallas has THJ's contract  and draft picks. 

Toronto has...Stanley Johnson? Really, I don't see how/why Toronto gets involved here when they have Gasol/Ibaka at the moment. 

Agreed. This is good stuff. Multiple suitors could mean we get a good return. The rebuild will require us to stockpile picks.

Toronto would probably send us Gasol or Ibaka back in the deal in order to rent Dre and see how he works with Lowry and Siakam in the hopes of extending their window with a younger big man.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Getting an expiring and a 1st rounder (even protected) would be a win. Cap space and a 1st? Too good to be true.  Not to slag Andre who is a good player but avoiding overpaying him, creating cap space for next year and beyond and getting a future asset is exactly what they need to kick off the rebuild.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

They would do it with the expectation of keeping him. They have a ton of young talent + more incoming...selling a little with your future draft picks to see how Young responds to a guy like Drummond could be worth the price. 

but they could just sign him as a free agent and give up nothing for him.

its not like atl is in the playoff hunt.  they want to tank.  running drummond out there with trae young will let them beat some teams.

i dunno.  maybe they think they can get past the rest of the terrible east and into the 8th slot with young/drummond?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This trade needs to happen to spark the rebuild and signal the fire sale.  No need to hang on to guys like Galloway and Rose who can bring back a late 1st or early 2nd. Shut down Blake. Play Sekou and work on the young guys while tanking the season away so we get a high draft pick of our own to add to the ones we've acquired.

Bottom 5 is the zone you need to shoot for in order to get at least a 40%/10% shot at top 4 and #1 respectively. That's only a few percentage points off of the team that finishes dead last due to the lottery changes. We're at 7 right now - pretty close already even though Dre has been playing all season. Moving him and a couple others should easily put us in the bottom 5 zone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope the Pistons don't get too greedy.  Try to get two first round picks but take one if necessary.  Is there anything we can throw in to make it easier for the Hawks to part with 2 first round picks? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Buddha said:

but they could just sign him as a free agent and give up nothing for him.

its not like atl is in the playoff hunt.  they want to tank.  running drummond out there with trae young will let them beat some teams.

i dunno.  maybe they think they can get past the rest of the terrible east and into the 8th slot with young/drummond?

They might want to secure him before he hits the market and get the inside track on signing him. I also heard that he and Young are good friends so Young might be pushing for this.  I actually think it's a good fit for that team building around their young guards, Collins and Drummond.  Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, it seems too good to be true at the rumored prices.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, NYLion said:

They might want to secure him before he hits the market and get the inside track on signing him. I also heard that he and Young are good friends so Young might be pushing for this.  I actually think it's a good fit for that team building around their young guards, Collins and Drummond.  Maybe this is just wishful thinking on my part, it seems too good to be true at the rumored prices.

drummond was his most effective with a point guard who could run a pick and roll (jackson).  he'd be a really good piece in atlanta with a much better offensive point guard in young.

if it does happen, it will be interesting to see if atl can reign in some of drummond's bad habits where detroit failed to do so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is a little weird that the Hawks would make this trade when they are in last place.  They are currently 8 games out of the last playoff spot.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

also, drummond to boston to run a pnr with kemba surrounded by shooters would also be a pretty good fit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hart said:

I hope the Pistons don't get too greedy.  Try to get two first round picks but take one if necessary.  Is there anything we can throw in to make it easier for the Hawks to part with 2 first round picks? 

In lieu of two 1sts... the comments so far are that a young player could also be included:

can't get playing time, or hasn't met expectations, or is in a crowded position battle...

I would be fine with taking a flyer on a young player that Casey can maybe develop. I think 4 players were mentioned for Atlanta... So...

Drummond & Khyri Thomas for Parsons & Cam Jordan & Brooklyn's protected 1st?

Just spit ballin'... but I'd be hoping for some kind of package like that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if the Pistons start asking for prospects, Atlanta hangs up.  At that point Buddha would be right, why bother when they can just sign Andre this summer.

Giving up a pick or two that weren't yours to begin with and are lottery protected for life, not a huge deal.  Giving up a guy like Cam Reddish that they just drafted #10 last summer, major deal.  And while Reddish hasn't been very good so far, it would send up huge red flags to me if they already gave up on him.  It would tell me he has some sort of problem we don't see on the floor.  Work ethic issues, immature, bad teammate in the locker room, etc.  No thanks to that.

It will most likely be salary filler + one or both of the picks owed to the Hawks IMO.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...