Sign in to follow this  
smr-nj

RIP Don Larsen

Love this quote:

“The unmitigated joy reflected in his embrace with Yogi Berra after the game’s final out will forever hold a secure place in Yankees lore. It was the pinnacle of baseball success and a reminder of the incredible, unforgettable things that can take place on a baseball field.”  

4A2BABD4-046A-404A-851C-E4D3875AF3F6.jpeg

I first posted this in the Crazy Cool Coincidence thread, but then I noticed this one, and it fits better here:

I watched Don Larsen's perfect game last week, when MLB Network showed a whole slate of PGs.  That was the first time I had ever seen the whole game (minus the first inning, for which apparently no film has been preserved). 

Larsen and Yogi Berra were in the studio with Bob Costas, and Larsen said that it was the first time he had seen the game since pitching it.   But what really struck me was his saying that at the time he didn't know that he had thrown a "perfect game," because he didn't even know there was such a thing.  Despite being a Major League pitcher, he said that he had never heard the term before.  He said that he knew he'd thrown a no-hitter, but he didn't realize what a special no-hitter it was until others made a big deal about it, especially the next day when it was all over the newspapers, and then when he was asked to appear on the Bob Hope Show.

Of course, as I thought about it later, it's not that surprising that he wasn't familiar with the concept of the perfect game.  The last one before his had been in 1922, before he was born, and there had been only three of them in the so-called Modern Era beginning in 1900.  (There had been two others in 1880.)  So the achievement was so rare that he didn't even know it was "a thing."

I love baseball.