Casimir

01/02/2020 10:30 EST Detroit Pistons at Los Angeles Clippers

01/02/2020 10:30 EST from Los Angeles, California...

DET-2020.png  LAC-2020.png

Detroit Pistons (12-22) at Los Angeles Clippers (23-11)

I imagine Gores will be attending and he can see first hand how bad things are.

On the other hand.  LA will probably rest a bunch of people and this might be closer than it should be.

Gores will have beer goggles on, so who knows what he will see.

Don't teams typically do the rest days on the road?  I suppose they could play but with reduced minutes.

they'll go winless on the road trip and still only be 2 games out of the 8 seed.

orlando blew a huge lead at home to the hawks without trae young.  the bottom of the east is so bad that this pistons team is still in contention for the final playoff spot.

The east and west are almost identical right now. It's eerie how close it is. Very strong top 6 with a clear top seed, near .500 7 seed, a jumbled mess of bad teams from 8-13 roughly then the real bottom feeders after that.

18 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

What underwhelming talent will we target with the 7th-10th pick?

It's pointless anyway. If they had a great young player I doubt they would have the 1st clue about how to build a team around him.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

What underwhelming talent will we target with the 7th-10th pick?

as long as he's french, who cares?

If this Pistons team surrendered in every game, they'd be much better off long term.

SGA is having a breakout season in OKC.

The death of Chris Paul was also greatly exaggerated by me.

When Vince Carter takes the floor on Friday he will become the first NBA player to play in 4 different decades.    

That is a lot of bad teams.  Time to secure that 8th seed and a very competitive series with Milwaukee.  

35 Thu, Jan 2, 2020 10:30p     @ Los Angeles Clippers                
36 Sat, Jan 4, 2020 8:30p     @ Golden State Warriors                
37 Sun, Jan 5, 2020 10:00p     @ Los Angeles Lakers                
38 Tue, Jan 7, 2020 7:00p     @ Cleveland Cavaliers                
39 Thu, Jan 9, 2020 7:00p       Cleveland Cavaliers                
40 Sat, Jan 11, 2020 7:00p       Chicago Bulls                
G Date Start (ET)       Opponent     Tm Opp W L Streak Notes
41 Mon, Jan 13, 2020 7:00p       New Orleans Pelicans                
42 Wed, Jan 15, 2020 7:00p     @ Boston Celtics                
43 Sat, Jan 18, 2020 7:30p     @ Atlanta Hawks                
44 Mon, Jan 20, 2020 2:00p     @ Washington Wizards                
45 Wed, Jan 22, 2020 7:00p       Sacramento Kings                
46 Fri, Jan 24, 2020 7:00p       Memphis Grizzlies

On 12/31/2019 at 1:02 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

It's pointless anyway. If they had a great young player I doubt they would have the 1st clue about how to build a team around him.

Why would you assume this? This coaching staff and front office hasn't had an elite young talent to work with (with the possible exception of Sekou, who has been in the G-League all year).

Are you saying this simply because Gores is the owner? As if he has anything to do with player development?

No clue how things work out with Sekou.  But I approve of how they are handling  his development so far.  Glad to see them using the G-League so much for him.

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

No clue how things work out with Sekou.  But I approve of how they are handling  his development so far.  Glad to see them using the G-League so much for him.

Same. And I also approve of how they have worked with Brown and improved his shooting (he went from a 40/26 split last year to a 44/36 split this year), Kennard to bring him along, etc. 

1 hour ago, 313DetroitCity said:

Why would you assume this? This coaching staff and front office hasn't had an elite young talent to work with (with the possible exception of Sekou, who has been in the G-League all year).

Are you saying this simply because Gores is the owner? As if he has anything to do with player development?

The Pistons have a basic blindness wrt the need for guard play in today's NBA. I don't see a reason to assume that would change if they draft a great wing or forward, I suppose if they drafted a great guard the problem would be self correcting, but they don't seem to have any  disposition to look for a good young guard  - QED.

7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

The Pistons have a basic blindness wrt the need for guard play in today's NBA. I don't see a reason to assume that would change if they draft a great wing or forward, I suppose if they drafted a great guard the problem would be self correcting, but they don't seem to have any  disposition to look for a good young guard  - QED.

What do you mean by the Pistons? Their front office is in their 2nd year, with a completely different coaching staff. What specifically have they done that makes you question their ability to groom top young talent?

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

What do you mean by the Pistons? Their front office is in their 2nd year, with a completely different coaching staff. What specifically have they done that makes you question their ability to groom top young talent?

Derrick Rose?

It isn't necessarily guard play.  It's someone on the perimeter that can break down a defense + shoot.

The best teams are lead by wings that can handle the ball and shoot a bit.  Lakers, Clippers, Miami, Boston, Milwaukee, etc.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Derrick Rose?

Bruce Brown & Jordan Bone were drafted for this, and both are showing some flashes. With limited money and flexibility last year, they signed Rose for a cheap deal. As it stands, he is a positive value that they can move, and is a good asset to have.

This still ignores your original point that "If they had a great young player I doubt they would have the 1st clue about how to build a team around him".

I doubt they can move Rose.

He actually had a slightly better year last year, and nobody wanted him this summer.  He is in Detroit for a reason.  He is just too much of an unknown.  Strictly speaking on talent, a lot of teams would want Rose.  But teams contending for a title can't take a risk on a guy like that.  A guy that can only play limited minutes and needs nights off now and then is too big a risk.

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

It isn't necessarily guard play.  It's someone on the perimeter that can break down a defense + shoot.

The best teams are lead by wings that can handle the ball and shoot a bit.  Lakers, Clippers, Miami, Boston, Milwaukee, etc.

the league started moving in the direction about 7 or 8 years ago, right when the pistons tripled down on smith/drummond/monroe.

im sure the front office recognizes the way the league is now (which is different than being out in front of it, which the organization at the time definitely was not), but the problem really is that the players they have acquired simply arent good enough.