Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, number20 said:

I’ve lived on the east coast, the southwest, all over California… and also the suburbs of Detroit (I was born in Michigan). My current company has an office in Birmingham, so I visit often.

Affluent areas? Yeah comparatively, insofar as any city having its usual upscale region. But among the most affluent in the United States? I can’t find a single credible source to back that up. Midwest maybe. The entire country? No. Just another wave on the beach.

I live up the road from Atherton, CA. You want to see affluent, take a drive around here

I think Atherton is the richest town in the country.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Buddha said:

 the equivalent of iowa being "right up there" with grosse pointe.

I lived in both of those places.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Glad we shook things up. Didn't expect Bonamego to go. STs were very good after first two games. I believe at least one metric had us 2 in the NFL. Of course our talent on STs is a huge factor there too with Prater,Martin,Agnew,Kilebrew and JRM. 

Didnt' expect Stewart to go either. Thought he might even be a sneaky DC candidate(he's done it before to some level of success). At the same time our DBs under performed their talent more than any unit that was healthy. 

Paul's contract ends today, so hopefully he's just not renewed as a nod of respect. Administrative Gunther role would be fine too of course. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I haven't seen a reliable source about Pasqualoni's contract. Also, who will take this job? Patricia wants to run this defense and the coaching staff is on notice so a new DC may only last a year.  

 

*Edit* So JBC's contract expired January 1st 2019 and the Lions simply chose not to re-sign him. It very well could be what is happening here. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If they bring Pasqualoni back as a DC that should seal their fate as a duo, baring some epic turnaround next year. To me it would showcase they are more interested in running a country club with their friends at the helm than they are a serious football operation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 10:06 AM, Motown Bombers said:

I was so I'm not sure what your issue is. I said she doesn't care about the cap issue. You said she does. Now you're not talking about the cap situation.

Learn how to read on your own time, dude.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/31/2019 at 5:04 PM, Buddha said:

I think Atherton is the richest town in the country.

Someday I'll tell the story about how a rich Mrs. Robinson type who lived in Atherton had me over to swim in her pool.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Learn how to read on your own time, dude.

I have no idea what you are so pissy about, but you quoted and responded to me. Learn to take your own advice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If they bring Pasqualoni back as a DC that should seal their fate as a duo, baring some epic turnaround next year. To me it would showcase they are more interested in running a country club with their friends at the helm than they are a serious football operation.

i wouldnt be surprised if he's moved to a position coach spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We all been talking about teams falling in love with a QB and trading up to our spot but what about them trading up for Jeudy?

After watching him more closely in the Michigan game he looks like a real special talent, one of those WRs that only come along once every 5-10 years.   I know it's rare for teams to trade up for a WR but the Falcons did it for Julio so it does happen.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I haven't seen a reliable source about Pasqualoni's contract. Also, who will take this job? Patricia wants to run this defense and the coaching staff is on notice so a new DC may only last a year.  

 

*Edit* So JBC's contract expired January 1st 2019 and the Lions simply chose not to re-sign him. It very well could be what is happening here. 

I believe his contract expired.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Buddha said:

i wouldnt be surprised if he's moved to a position coach spot.

I believe it is more likely he will be "promoted".

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

We all been talking about teams falling in love with a QB and trading up to our spot but what about them trading up for Jeudy?

After watching him more closely in the Michigan game he looks like a real special talent, one of those WRs that only come along once every 5-10 years.   I know it's rare for teams to trade up for a WR but the Falcons did it for Julio so it does happen.    

It is a deep WR class. I have no idea why anyone would trade up to 3 for WR. I've actually heard NFL scouts prefer CeeDee lamb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

We all been talking about teams falling in love with a QB and trading up to our spot but what about them trading up for Jeudy?

After watching him more closely in the Michigan game he looks like a real special talent, one of those WRs that only come along once every 5-10 years.   I know it's rare for teams to trade up for a WR but the Falcons did it for Julio so it does happen.    

If he truly is one of those talents that comes along once every 5-10 years, than the Lions should take him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not personally for this idea.  The finances would work out if they were to select Tua and let him essentially sit, heal, and learn for a year. Stafford could be moved after next season for a controllable cap hit and they can manage not using 1 year of control over Tua with a rookie contract.   You’d definitely draft him with plans to be your starter in 2021 though.  
 

It’s no surprise that Baltimore and KC are doing so well with dynamic QBs.  It also helps their main player is eating 2% of the cap instead of 15%.  It has allowed them a nice window to go out and acquire players.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

If he truly is one of those talents that comes along once every 5-10 years, than the Lions should take him.

Not that Todd Mcshay's opinion is gospel but he just said that Jeudy is the best route runner he has ever seen in his 20 years of scouting and is the best WR prospect since atleast Julio/Green in 2011 and perhaps even since Calvin. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not that Todd Mcshay's opinion is gospel but he just said that Jeudy is the best route runner he has ever seen in his 20 years of scouting and is the best WR prospect since atleast Julio/Green in 2011 and perhaps even since Calvin. 

 
All the scouting reports on him are very similar to this.

Washington will think long and hard about taking him ahead of Young.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

 
All the scouting reports on him are very similar to this.

Washington will think long and hard about taking him ahead of Young.    

Every player on the board when the Lions are on the clock should let it be known they don't want to play for such a moronic organization. But...money talks, I guess.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not that Todd Mcshay's opinion is gospel but he just said that Jeudy is the best route runner he has ever seen in his 20 years of scouting and is the best WR prospect since atleast Julio/Green in 2011 and perhaps even since Calvin. 

If he is a Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones type prospect, I would have no problem drafting him over just a good defensive prospect if Young is off the board. WR isn't exactly a settled position. They have a decision to make on Jones and will need to sign Golladay to an extension.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

If he is a Calvin Johnson/Julio Jones type prospect, I would have no problem drafting him over just a good defensive prospect if Young is off the board. WR isn't exactly a settled position. They have a decision to make on Jones and will need to sign Golladay to an extension.

I think Jeudy's route running skills and ability to get open would compliment Golladay's  skills perfectly.  I think them two with a hopefully improved TJ could turn the offense into a force.

It's been proven time and time again that teams in the NFL can win with elite offenses and suspect defenses so I don't buy into the narrative that they have to take a defender just cause the defense sucks.   Whether you win a game 35-31 or 20-17 it means the same so I'd be fine winning with an elite offense. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

We all been talking about teams falling in love with a QB and trading up to our spot but what about them trading up for Jeudy?

After watching him more closely in the Michigan game he looks like a real special talent, one of those WRs that only come along once every 5-10 years.   I know it's rare for teams to trade up for a WR but the Falcons did it for Julio so it does happen.    

I'd be inclined to take him at 3 and load up on defense the rest of the draft. I agree with you that he's special. None of the defensive players after Young seem all that special or even have franchise potential so take BPA and worry about need later. Chances are that WR will be a need next year when Jones likely leaves so it's not like the Lions will be loaded at the position going forward. Jeudy would be a perfect compliment to Golladay as well.

The one player I really hope they avoid is Brown. Zero interest in drafting another Snacks at 3. You can find a run stuffer, pocket collapser in the 2nd/3rd round. Enough of the slow, fat guys who merely hold up at the point of attack. Draft a damn playmaker.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Spoiler alert the Lions will be drafting defense in the 1st round.

That woildn't be so bad. We score enough points to win games, our inability to stop the other team from marching down the field is our biggest problem, IMO. But with Patricia's scheme? We'll be back next year at this time discussing another top 10 pick along with who should coach this team. Some fresh blood to get the Lions on the path of relevance. /s

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm liking drafting offense. Patricia's defense was OK last year especially after Snacks came over. Defenses fluctuate from year to year. Even Baltimore has some defenses in the bottom have the league. I would rather build an elite offense and a defense that is good enough. A good offense can help a good defense with ball control and scoring touchdowns over field goals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm liking drafting offense. Patricia's defense was OK last year especially after Snacks came over. Defenses fluctuate from year to year. Even Baltimore has some defenses in the bottom have the league. I would rather build an elite offense and a defense that is good enough. A good offense can help a good defense with ball control and scoring touchdowns over field goals.

there used to be a theory that when you were doing a rebuild you drafted O first because core offensive players like QBs and O linemen can take a few years to develop while most good D side players have immediate impact. But I question where the Lions are now. Closer to rebuild or just the next tear down?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...