Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

Recommended Posts


16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What 3 or 4 suburbs in Chicago?

glencoe, kenilworth, and winnetka for sure.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

tech money and finance money have grown so exponentially in the last ten years that 2010 census data isnt really relevant anymore.  i get that bloomfield hills is rich.  i lived in detroit for almost 30 years, i know.  and there is lots of old money in detroit and a lot of it is concentrated in areas like bh and bham.  but that money is dwarfed by new tecg and finance money.  and thats concentrated in the coasts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

From 2018, Grosse Pointe Shores is right up there with the wealthiest cities not in DC, LA or NYC.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/money/economy/2018/05/30/richest-town-in-every-state/35316557/

"right up there" being about $60,000 behind.  the equivalent of iowa being "right up there" with grosse pointe.

and also behind texas....and illinois....and pennsylvania....and ohio....and minnesota...and new jersey...and missouri...and kentucky...

youre fighting a losing battle here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Buddha said:

"right up there" being about $60,000 behind.  the equivalent of iowa being "right up there" with grosse pointe.

and also behind texas....and illinois....and pennsylvania....and ohio....and minnesota...and new jersey...and missouri...and kentucky...

youre fighting a losing battle here.

Literally $3-5,000 less than places like Pennsylvania and Missouri. The town in New Jersey is within the NYC metro area like I said before not in DC, NYC or LA. It's also ahead of the extremely wealthy Seattle area. Not going to lie, Ohio and Kentucky surprised me. Goes to show that not all the most affluent areas in the country are in LA, NY, or DC.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Buddha said:

"right up there" being about $60,000 behind.  the equivalent of iowa being "right up there" with grosse pointe.

and also behind texas....and illinois....and pennsylvania....and ohio....and minnesota...and new jersey...and missouri...and kentucky...

youre fighting a losing battle here.

I don't argue your point at all that little new money is flowing to the midwest - but having just been through SoCal and Portland, OR, one thing to keep in mind in terms of census 'rating' type numbers is that the cost of housing skews thing a lot. The differential housing costs create a pull that forces differential income levels to a degree, and that is an illusory difference at the consumer level - your income may be higher but you are hardly any richer in practice if all your income is going to your housing which is actually more modest than someone's in the MW. The only time you can realize that 'wealth' is if you move out of the area. That is still real money, but it does come with a big catch.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Literally $3-5,000 less than places like Pennsylvania and Missouri. The town in New Jersey is within the NYC metro area like I said before not in DC, NYC or LA. It's also ahead of the extremely wealthy Seattle area. Not going to lie, Ohio and Kentucky surprised me. Goes to show that not all the most affluent areas in the country are in LA, NY, or DC.

and for many of those states, the "richest" on that list is but one of several that are richer than grosse pointe.

ohio has as much money as michigan does.  kentucky?  i really doubt it.

and are you going to argue that there is more money in detroit than seattle?  home to microsoft, boeing, and a little company called amazon?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

and for many of those states, the "richest" on that list is but one of several that are richer than grosse pointe.

ohio has as much money as michigan does.  kentucky?  i really doubt it.

and are you going to argue that there is more money in detroit than seattle?  home to microsoft, boeing, and a little company called amazon?

There weren't "many" that were higher than Grosse Pointe. I've said NYC, DC, and LA are wealthier. The wealthiest in New York State, New Jersey and Connecticut are within the NYC metro and Maryland and Virginia are within the DC metro. The point made, not by me mind you, is that the Detroit area has some of the most affluent areas. This wasn't whether the Detroit area as a whole is more affluent than Seattle, but the most affluent area is more affluent than Seattle btw.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There weren't "many" that were higher than Grosse Pointe. I've said NYC, DC, and LA are wealthier. The wealthiest in New York State, New Jersey and Connecticut are within the NYC metro and Maryland and Virginia are within the DC metro. The point made, not by me mind you, is that the Detroit area has some of the most affluent areas. This wasn't whether the Detroit area as a whole is more affluent than Seattle, but the most affluent area is more affluent than Seattle btw.

but it doesnt have some of the most affluent areas anymore.  the most affluent areas are in the cities ive been referencing this whole time.  and due to finance and tech, coupled with the decline in detroit's manufacturing businesses, the gap between that wealth and detroit's has grown exponentially.

like i said, this is all about how you define "most affluent areas."  nobody is denying that detroit has wealthy suburbs.  as i said, EVERY city has wealthy suburbs.  the fact that st. louis and cleveland and cincinnati have wealthier suburbs than detroit does now should tell you something.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Buddha said:

but it doesnt have some of the most affluent areas anymore.  the most affluent areas are in the cities ive been referencing this whole time.  and due to finance and tech, coupled with the decline in detroit's manufacturing businesses, the gap between that wealth and detroit's has grown exponentially.

like i said, this is all about how you define "most affluent areas."  nobody is denying that detroit has wealthy suburbs.  as i said, EVERY city has wealthy suburbs.  the fact that st. louis and cleveland and cincinnati have wealthier suburbs than detroit does now should tell you something.

Why would it tell us something? Cleveland, Cincinnati and St Louis are old cities that were once prosperous like Detroit and had wealthy suburbs. There's still probably a lot of old money in those cities. That's probably why Grosse Pointe is the wealthiest. That's where the Ford's live and probably where their children will live for decades.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

and for many of those states, the "richest" on that list is but one of several that are richer than grosse pointe.

ohio has as much money as michigan does.  kentucky?  i really doubt it.

and are you going to argue that there is more money in detroit than seattle?  home to microsoft, boeing, and a little company called amazon?

But Seattle has no Henry the Hatter or Buddy's Pizza, much less an entire "District" of parking lots.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

But Seattle has no Henry the Hatter or Buddy's Pizza, much less an entire "District" of parking lots.

Seattle also doesn't have a pro hockey or basketball team. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’ve lived on the east coast, the southwest, all over California… and also the suburbs of Detroit (I was born in Michigan). My current company has an office in Birmingham, so I visit often.

Affluent areas? Yeah comparatively, insofar as any city having its usual upscale region. But among the most affluent in the United States? I can’t find a single credible source to back that up. Midwest maybe. The entire country? No. Just another wave on the beach.

I live up the road from Atherton, CA. You want to see affluent, take a drive around here

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, NYLion said:

Do you think places like Green Bay, Pittsburgh and that trash hole Baltimore are destination cities? No, those teams win. That's what draws free agents in, winning and money.

Mostly about money (and winning)? Yes, agreed NY – I’ll give you that. Only about money for every FA? I just have a hard time swallowing such a binary statement (although I’ll admit mine about Detroit having absolutely nothing to attract FAs is probably just as broad brush). Either way, it would make for an interesting player survey

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the wealth of surrounding suburbs means very little to where any given free agent will sign. While it matters to some (Suh), I don't think it's worth the two-page breakdown it's gotten in this thread. But hey, it's the offseason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Best news I've seen today is that Chicago is committed to Mitchell Trubisky. Most mediocre QB in the division and I have a hard time seeing him leading them to success anytime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, MichiganCardinal said:

Best news I've seen today is that Chicago is committed to Mitchell Trubisky. Most mediocre QB in the division and I have a hard time seeing him leading them to success anytime soon.

What are their alternatives? They don't have a 1st round pick. They can try to salvage someone like Philip Rivers or possibly Cam Newton. An interesting possibility is Tom Brady is a free agent. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

What are their alternatives? They don't have a 1st round pick. They can try to salvage someone like Philip Rivers or possibly Cam Newton. An interesting possibility is Tom Brady is a free agent. 

I just like the idea of him behind center in Chicago honestly. Didn't think on it too much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think location is very far down on the list of priorities for free agents, particularly in the NFL.  They know they have a small window to make their maximum income so in that small window they are going to go where ever they can make the most regardless of location.   Plus NFL FAs usually only spend like what 2-3 years with a team?  It's not like they are going to be forced to live there forever, they will sacrifice a lesser location for a couple years if it means potentially making more money, winning or playing in a system/coach that they like.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I hate to break up the demographics hijack but the Lions have just made the massive coaching shakeup that we had all been expecting.   So long Pasqual....Wait, WTF?
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,792
    • Total Posts
      3,011,943
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...