Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

starting to see players who were on the roster bubble opt out and take the stipend than compete for a job they werent likely to get.  

false positive for stafford.  he tested negative three straight times.

thank goodness for him!  that must be a helluva weight off his shoulders.

stafford is my favorite lion of all time after barry.  i hope he gets traded or released at some point so he can go to a real organization and win something.

23 hours ago, Buddha said:

stafford is my favorite lion of all time after barry.  i hope he gets traded or released at some point so he can go to a real organization and win something.

Can you imagine if he won a Super Bowl for us long suffering Lion fans? He would be a lifelong hero. But yeah, send him somewhere. (New England)?

If I were Matthew, I may consider sitting out this season. After the way his family was treated? It's a no-brainer.

Yeah - If Kelly Stafford is losing her mind over the possibility or Matthew catching CV-19, he should be opting out because as MLB is showing, he will be at very high risk if he plays.

On 8/4/2020 at 11:01 AM, Buddha said:

starting to see players who were on the roster bubble opt out and take the stipend than compete for a job they werent likely to get.  

Agree, except for the Pats, who lost some key players.

If Staff is going to take as much precautions as possible if he opts out then sure for his family's health that would probably be safer but if he doesn't im not so much sure his chances of getting it playing or exposing his family to it our that much higher than if he doesn't. 

Atleast by playing, him and the people he'll be around will be getting checked regularly so its unlikely that he will be spending days on end with his family not knowing if he was exposed to it or has it like he would be if he opted out and wasn't getting tested regularly.  

Also with football even though you obviously are closer to you and your opponent then you are with baseball you only play once a week and supposedly teams aren't going to be traveling till either the night before or even the morning of the game so they shouldn't have time to hang around whatever city they play in.

So yeah if he's going to essentially quarantine himself the rest of the year then sure opt out but if he's still going to go about his normal business then I think he'll be putting his family at risk ether way.  

9 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Yeah - If Kelly Stafford is losing her mind over the possibility or Matthew catching CV-19, he should be opting out because as MLB is showing, he will be at very high risk if he plays.

Either that or stay away from his family for a couple of months. I don't know his business but he seems like a responsible guy. If he's saved millions of dollars, opt out this season. That way he could spend the time with his wife and daughters. But that's just my opinion. He should do whatever he and his wife decide, it's a very personal decision.

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

If Staff is going to take as much precautions as possible if he opts out then sure for his family's health that would probably be safer but if he doesn't im not so much sure his chances of getting it playing or exposing his family to it our that much higher than if he doesn't. 

IDK, I have a feeling a team bench and esp a locker room are going to be way more risky places to be than say, your average Krogers.

Is the NFL is going to ban huddling to call plays? That would probably be spreader situation #1 for the O side.

46 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

... Is the NFL is going to ban huddling to call plays? That would probably be spreader situation #1 for the O side.

I think the trench battles will be the worst for spreading. And that covers both sides.

The huddle is 5-10 seconds and you're not going face-to-face. I mean, it's a tight-knit circle... but I still don't think that's the same as locked arm-to-arm or arms-to-chest with the guy right across from you, battling and sweating and swearing and banging in to each other full blast...

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

IDK, I have a feeling a team bench and esp a locker room are going to be way more risky places to be than say, your average Krogers.

Is the NFL is going to ban huddling to call plays? That would probably be spreader situation #1 for the O side.

Oh yeah that's worse but I just think that with the NFL only playing once a week if they keep up their testing throughout the week there's gonna be less chance a player is in the incubation period  then you would be in say baseball that plays everyday. 

Also my feeling is if he does end up getting it atleast he should find out right away due to how often they get tested so hopefully it will be in time before he can spread it to his family.   

As much problems as the MLB has had i hadn't heard anything about a particular players family having any outbreak and I think that's because of how quickly they find out and can be quarantined. 

I think we are crazy to be saying what decision the Stafford family should be making.  It is a decision that is completely up to them and whatever decision they come to as a family is right for them.  If they are concerned about the risk to Kelly's health, and choose to opt out, that is the right decision for them.  If they as a couple are in agreement he should play, then that's the right decision for them and it doesn't say anything about his character or concern for his family's health.  Whatever decision they make, as long as they make it together, is the right decision for them.  People have different amounts of risk they are willing to accept and that is ok, as long as they are in agreement as a family.

38 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

I think we are crazy to be saying what decision the Stafford family should be making.  It is a decision that is completely up to them and whatever decision they come to as a family is right for them.  If they are concerned about the risk to Kelly's health, and choose to opt out, that is the right decision for them.  If they as a couple are in agreement he should play, then that's the right decision for them and it doesn't say anything about his character or concern for his family's health.  Whatever decision they make, as long as they make it together, is the right decision for them.  People have different amounts of risk they are willing to accept and that is ok, as long as they are in agreement as a family.

Well no kidding. Do you honestly think he's going to do whatever people on a message board vote for? It's just a debate. 

Hey guys let's not talk about whether or not Agnew should be a receiver. That's for the Patricia to decide! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

The huddle is 5-10 seconds and you're not going face-to-face. I

I think the huddle could be pretty terrible. An infected wideout has just run the post, comes back panting hot breath down into the center of confined space 10 other guys are inhaling from.  That says Yikes! to me. 

I suppose the players could/should all wear face shields? But when big men are breathing hard there will still be a lot of aerosol wafting out even with shields.

6 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Well no kidding. Do you honestly think he's going to do whatever people on a message board vote for? It's just a debate. 

A bit of an overreaction?  I was just saying that as it appears there is some judgement that was being given to Stafford for even considering playing because of the cancer Kelly had.  It's one thing to say what we would do in the situation, and even to question if he will opt out, but IMO it crosses into judgement when we are saying what we think he should do.  We have no idea on that.

I'm not sure I understand Kelly's beef with the NFL and/or Lions? What exactly is she blaming the NFL for? 

56 minutes ago, 4hzglory said:

I think we are crazy to be saying what decision the Stafford family should be making. 

My point was less to say what they should decide than to point out that at one level it was pretty clear what they had decided and it is a matter of whether they were going to follow their logic to its conclusion. I have no dog in the fight of what they do, but if Kelly can be taken at her word about how worried she is, then to me it is illogical for Matt to be playing. Discussion on whether what they are doing makes sense is not the same thing as trying to give them advice.

Pointless to debate the huddle or line of scrimmage.  The battle will be won or lost off the field.  Players either need to A) Be responsible and lock themselves down Monday thru Saturday and have 100% mask use or B) The NFL needs to institute a bubble like the NBA.

Kelly can live in Georgia and Matthew can rent a condo in Birmingham and they can Skype during the week. There's $27 million reasons why Stafford will be playing this year.