Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Lions put Stafford on the COVID list.  I hope his family is ok, cause doesn't his wife still have cancer and I know they have young kids as well.  Hopefully it hasn't spread to any of them.  

I hear that. Sports takes a backseat to our families health and safety. Even the threat of the virus can mess people up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

well...he was working out with kenny golladay and then went down to georgia in the middle of a pandemic to work out with amendola.

so if he thinks he was doing all he can to avoid the virus, he wasnt.

hopefully he doesnt pass it on to his wife considering her health issues.  thats got to be scary for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Buddha said:

well...he was working out with kenny golladay and then went down to georgia in the middle of a pandemic to work out with amendola.

so if he thinks he was doing all he can to avoid the virus, he wasnt.

hopefully he doesnt pass it on to his wife considering her health issues.  thats got to be scary for them.

I believe he was working with Hock too. But weren't those workouts in May and June?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Yoda said:

We don't even know if Stafford has covid, let alone where he got it. 

That’s a good point.  You can be put on the list if you are negative but have been in contact with someone who tested positive.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoda said:

We don't even know if Stafford has covid, let alone where he got it. 

I was pretty much replying to Buddha when he pointed out Stafford was working out with some of his receivers. When was it he was throwing to them? If he was in contact with someone who had/has covid last May or June, it wouldn't matter, would it? And how about the other (7 or so) Lions on the list? Are they positive or just in contact? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

I was pretty much replying to Buddha when he pointed out Stafford was working out with some of his receivers. When was it he was throwing to them? If he was in contact with someone who had/has covid last May or June, it wouldn't matter, would it? And how about the other (7 or so) Lions on the list? Are they positive or just in contact? 

All good questions. It's possible he got it then and still has it, but I feel like we would have heard something. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Yoda said:

All good questions. It's possible he got it then and still has it, but I feel like we would have heard something. 

the reports are he is "asymptomatic."  if those reports are true, then he has covid19.  but again, its just twitter reports, i dont think we really know.

i also remember reports saying he was out training with teammates, at least one of whom has also tested positive: galloway.  one of them could have given it to the other.  we dont really know.

during this pandemic time, i would characterize stafford's behavior as a touch reckless if he is flying all over the country to train with teammates and his wife is high risk because of cancer.  "a touch reckless" might be giving him too much credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the reports are he is "asymptomatic."  if those reports are true, then he has covid19.  but again, its just twitter reports, i dont think we really know.

i also remember reports saying he was out training with teammates, at least one of whom has also tested positive: galloway.  one of them could have given it to the other.  we dont really know.

during this pandemic time, i would characterize stafford's behavior as a touch reckless if he is flying all over the country to train with teammates and his wife is high risk because of cancer.  "a touch reckless" might be giving him too much credit.

Completely agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Completely agreed. 

honestly, if im stafford and my wife just went through what she went through, im sitting out this season.

easy for me to say, obviously.  but he's made his money, has young children, and a recovering wife.  why risk it?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He’s the leader of the team and their most important player.  If he opts out, the year is shot and the entire franchise is damaged.  It’s a terrible burden to have to carry but it’s truth.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

He’s the leader of the team and their most important player.  If he opts out, the year is shot and the entire franchise is damaged.  It’s a terrible burden to have to carry but it’s truth.   

for sure.   but there is a 100% chance the team will survive.  his wife?  less than that.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Buddha said:

honestly, if im stafford and my wife just went through what she went through, im sitting out this season.

easy for me to say, obviously.  but he's made his money, has young children, and a recovering wife.  why risk it?

I'm with you here. And I think the only reasons he may play is because he loves the competition and he knows he's a year closer to retirement. Also, we don't know if his wife is pushing him to play. She seems pretty competitive too.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Hongbit said:

He’s the leader of the team and their most important player.  If he opts out, the year is shot and the entire franchise is damaged.  It’s a terrible burden to have to carry but it’s truth.   

The state of the franchise is largely irrelevant when it comes to health. It would be a bigger burden if he spread the virus to somebody who is immuno compromised whether it be his wife or an older member of the family and they got really sick or worse.

In any event, if he did opt out he'd be opting out of a season that is almost assuredly not going to finish and shouldn't even start to be honest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I was bringing up a reason why he may choose to play and risk it.  

I personally think he should opt out.  It’s not worth it and I agree the likelihood of playing appears small at the moment. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's fair, Stafford is a true competitor and probably wants to play at any cost. As with everybody else, they have to make a decision that's best for them and not be questioned about it. Hopefully people take it easy on Stafford if he does indeed opt out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would play and it wouldn't even be a debate for me.  You only have X amount of years to make obscene amounts of money and I wouldn't waste one.  I would just get an apartment/condo for the next half year and stay away from the family.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If he already has it, and is quarantined until he no longer is a spreader, what is the concern about playing?

The thought he could catch it again?

he shouldnt have done what he did to catch it in the first place, or risk catching it.

but now that its done and he has it, it is a legit question whether there a point in sitting out.  

if i were him, id be guilt ridden that i could infect my wife and family.  id also want to know the research about whether getting it automatically means i have antibodies or the research on people catching it more than once.

is it 100% clear that once you have it you can never get it again?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I would play and it wouldn't even be a debate for me.  You only have X amount of years to make obscene amounts of money and I wouldn't waste one.  I would just get an apartment/condo for the next half year and stay away from the family.

i would have a hard time staying away from my kids for that long when theyre that young.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i think were seeing with the nba, mlb, and nhl experiences that youre going to have to put them in bubbles and make sure they dont leave.  if you dont, you'll get infections cause dudes are stupid and dont listen.

im not sure how you can do that in the nfl.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think were seeing with the nba, mlb, and nhl experiences that youre going to have to put them in bubbles and make sure they dont leave.  if you dont, you'll get infections cause dudes are stupid and dont listen.

im not sure how you can do that in the nfl.

Just look at the MLB, a largely non-contact sport. They have to postpone games if a team has even one or two positives so how can you possibly do that in football with the chance of infection being much higher? Manfred talks about not wanting the integrity of the game to be compromised yet there's already two teams that have played 7 less games than some other teams only a couple of weeks in. It's already a joke.

The danger of spread is far higher in football as well and there's a lot more staff to worry about, lots of older folks. I just don't see how they pull it off. What's happening in the MLB should be a wake up call for all football officials, NCAA and NFL, to the grim reality that sports outside of a bubble just can't be played in this disaster of a country right now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Just look at the MLB, a largely non-contact sport. They have to postpone games if a team has even one or two positives so how can you possibly do that in football with the chance of infection being much higher? Manfred talks about not wanting the integrity of the game to be compromised yet there's already two teams that have played 7 less games than some other teams only a couple of weeks in. It's already a joke.

The danger of spread is far higher in football as well and there's a lot more staff to worry about, lots of older folks. I just don't see how they pull it off. What's happening in the MLB should be a wake up call for all football officials, NCAA and NFL, to the grim reality that sports outside of a bubble just can't be played in this disaster of a country right now.

yup.

make plans for a bubble or move the schedule to the spring and hope for a vaccine by the end of the year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


Motown Sports Blog



×
×
  • Create New...