Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

1 hour ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Yeah, he does Ford ads.

I feel betrayed.

a failed effort (on my part)  in any case. The only point to the post was the  joke around it being an abandoned  lions rebuild.

https://theathletic.com/1842093/2020/06/02/what-i-learned-from-rewatching-all-of-trey-flowers-2019-defensive-snaps?source=user-shared-article

Here's a great article from somebody that broke down every Flowers snap last year.  He basically talks about how he was so much better and more disrupting than the stats show and that he was actually elite the 2nd half of the season. 

In the 2nd half of the season despite missing a game he was still top 5 in pressures, that's impressive enough on its own but when you factor in the fact that he had little help from others and the fact that the Lions were often behind so teams ran more it makes it even more impressive.  

If that 2nd half performance carries over to this season he could be in for an All Pro season. 

Let's hope that's true and let's hope Patricia isn't married to this idea of almost exclusively rushing 4 guys and let's hope they figure of what Jared Davis's one strength is and let's just hope. What else do we have but hope?

Hmmmm.............Rog says the NFL got it wrong.................I still don't see Kap on a roster, though.   Hollow words until that happens.  He's 32 but with less tread on the tires than a typical 32 year old.  He's certainly good enough to be a backup somewhere in this league.   Including Detroit (sorry Chase).    If he is offered gigs and refuses to be a backup that's on him, but I haven't heard of that happening yet.   Cam Newton still hasn't signed but he's waiting for some team's starter to go down with an injury.   Hello Pittsburgh!

kapernick hasnt played in 4 years.  yes, he was blackballed by the league, but that ship has passed.  i dont want someone who hasnt played football in 4 years.

I don’t know, there are a lot of really bad backups out there.  He’d have to get back into shape but if you are carrying 3 bad QBs he might as well be one.

On 5/26/2020 at 5:57 PM, six-hopper said:

Gee, and I thought he was just a regular guy who drives a pickup truck.

I know folks that live right by them, but off of the water in a 'normal' house.  IMO they should offer a house swap for a few years until the Stafford kids get a little older and be buy the water/pool. All that work to make that house so specialized...man, I know living in a ranch house for a few years will suck, but you may never get that house back otherwise!

On 6/6/2020 at 12:04 PM, Motor City Sonics said:

Hmmmm.............Rog says the NFL got it wrong.................I still don't see Kap on a roster, though.   Hollow words until that happens.  He's 32 but with less tread on the tires than a typical 32 year old.  He's certainly good enough to be a backup somewhere in this league.   Including Detroit (sorry Chase).    If he is offered gigs and refuses to be a backup that's on him, but I haven't heard of that happening yet.   Cam Newton still hasn't signed but he's waiting for some team's starter to go down with an injury.   Hello Pittsburgh!

Wasn't it confirmed Denver offered him a contract and the Ravens were set to sign him until Kap's gf said the Ravens owner was a racist?  Combine that with being the worst throwing QB in the league prior to becoming a hassle from a team point of view (remember Jordan "Republicans buy sneakers")

i thought teams were looking at him as a backup but he wanted starter money

13 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i thought teams were looking at him as a backup but he wanted starter money

That's the way I remember hearing it but that was a couple years ago so maybe his demands changed.   

Either way he would need to be exponentially better than your current backup to be worth the distraction.imo Thats probably unfair to Colin but unfortunately if you're running a team that's something that you have to think about. 

Anytime your starter has a bad game there is gonna be an uprising to play Kap instead and if you don't you'll likely get accused of holding him down.  Just seems like it would be a major headache that teams would rather not deal with it.  

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

That's the way I remember hearing it but that was a couple years ago so maybe his demands changed.   

Either way he would need to be exponentially better than your current backup to be worth the distraction.imo Thats probably unfair to Colin but unfortunately if you're running a team that's something that you have to think about. 

Anytime your starter has a bad game there is gonna be an uprising to play Kap instead and if you don't you'll likely get accused of holding him down.  Just seems like it would be a major headache that teams would rather not deal with it.  

Yep.  Why sign a guy whom much of your customer base views unfavorably and who would create a media circus,, especially if he isn't all that good and especially if you don't expect him to be a starter?  If he was an elite quarterback, someone would have jumped on him and dealt with the PR issues and the circus.  But no one in their right mind would buy those problems with a guy who would probably be a mediocre starter at best, much less one who would be a backup.  

14 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Conversely he would sell a bunch of uniforms and would generate out of market fan interest for a non premier team.

like the detroit lions?

this front office ditched slay and diggs pretty quick.  i dont think they'd be lining up for the distraction that would come from colin kapernick.

Lions also have a QB.

My point is more that there are positives to taking him, though I have my doubts at this point he is, in fact, a capable back-up.

56 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Lions also have a QB.

My point is more that there are positives to taking him, though I have my doubts at this point he is, in fact, a capable back-up.

Not sure those would be positives.  Having a backup quarterback as the face of the team and the focus of media attention doesn't strike me as a good thing.  

Thinking on it some more, I suspect that overshadowing better players on his teams with his outsized and disproportionate media presence was the reason behind Tim Tebow not getting more chances in professional athletics.