Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

18 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Question 1:  How many cornerbacks ever have been worth the Number Three overall pick?

Answer:  Very very few.

Question 2:  What are the chances that the Lions just got one of them?

Answer:  Very very small.

And what are the chances that this rookie CB is able to step in this season and fill the void of a Pro Bowl caliber player in Darius Slay?

Quinn has no choice but to nail his 2nd and 3rd round picks.

38 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Question 1:  How many cornerbacks ever have been worth the Number Three overall pick?

Answer:  Very very few.

Question 2:  What are the chances that the Lions just got one of them?

Answer:  Very very small.

I don't agree. The Lions have to cover because they don't put pressure on the QB. Yes, they have many other needs but this seems like a well thought out and safe pick.

17 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

I don't agree. The Lions have to cover because they don't put pressure on the QB. Yes, they have many other needs but this seems like a well thought out and safe pick.

I firmly believe that the only way to counter a good (or for that matter an average)  NFL passing game is with a pass rush.  If you give even a halfway decent quarterback lots of time, a secondary isn't going to be able to make up for that.  

I do like the pick, but only because I despise the Lions and I don't think that Okudah will make them significantly better.   That's not a knock on him -- he's a great talent, but I just don't think that even a great cornerback is going to help them very much.  

This division is ripe for the taking.  The Packers were a fluke last season.  The Vikings just got rid of some of their best players and are rebuilding.  The Bears are relying on Nick Foles to save them from Mitch Trubisky.  

If Stafford can stay healthy, the Lions should be able to compete for this division.  Given their recent history (since 1957) of futility, if I were them I would blow their wad on Clowney.  Go all in.  Stafford only has a few more years left.  Quintricia has only one year left at this rate.  They need to win now.  Eff it, go for it and hope you get some luck and win 10 games.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

This division is ripe for the taking.  The Packers were a fluke last season.  The Vikings just got rid of some of their best players and are rebuilding.  The Bears are relying on Nick Foles to save them from Mitch Trubisky.  

If Stafford can stay healthy, the Lions should be able to compete for this division.  Given their recent history (since 1957) of futility, if I were them I would blow their wad on Clowney.  Go all in.  Stafford only has a few more years left.  Quintricia has only one year left at this rate.  They need to win now.  Eff it, go for it and hope you get some luck and win 10 games.

I couldn't agree more. If this really is their last chance, they may as well go all in. I'm just not confident that Patricia is the coach to get us to the promised land though. And I would love to be wrong.

5 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

I couldn't agree more. If this really is their last chance, they may as well go all in. I'm just not confident that Patricia is the coach to get us to the promised land though. And I would love to be wrong.

me neither.  but signing an amazingly talented player like clowney would be a great step toward moving the team forward.

Seattle cut C Britt and G DJ Fluker to create cap space...presumably to take a run at Clowney.  I might take a run at Fluker

Clowney had yet to record a double digit sack season. Not sure I want to spend what he's asking. There's a reason he's still available. 

They would also possibly have to cut Marvin Jones in order to afford signing Clowney.   He was rumored be asking for $17M.   

The Lions may be able to flip a late round pick for Yannick Ngakoue. Much less commitment to take a flyer on him. Not sure how he would fit cap wise.

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions may be able to flip a late round pick for Yannick Ngakoue. Much less commitment to take a flyer on him. Not sure how he would fit cap wise.

im not sure ngakoue fits the lions scheme.

On 4/23/2020 at 5:23 PM, Buddha said:

i want the lions to take isaiah simmons so tater will be forced to say something nice about bob quinn.

Bob "9-7 Isn't Good Enough" Quinn actually had a nice draft. I don't know how it will translate onto the field when you have a coach as terrible as Patrica has been, but the draft haul was still a very good one.

It is a nice draft on paper, but let’s hope he found the right OL to keep Stafford from breaking his back a third time. 

Clowney's lack of sacks do concern me.  Yes he still gets pressure on the QB and that counts for something but in this day and age QBs have evolved to handle pressures and hurries much better, particularly with the softened roughing the passer and late hit penalties they can stand in the pocket and still deliver good throws under pressure and not have to worry about getting killed cause defenders are so paranoid about getting that penalty.       If I'm gonna pay top dollar for a pass rusher I want him to not only pressure the QB but actually finish the play and get the sack.    

Never been much of a believer in 'draft grades'. Like rating a dish 'excellent' before anyone eats it - because it looks good on the plate. Won't know until we see these guys play

4 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Clowney's lack of sacks do concern me.  Yes he still gets pressure on the QB and that counts for something but in this day and age QBs have evolved to handle pressures and hurries much better, particularly with the softened roughing the passer and late hit penalties they can stand in the pocket and still deliver good throws under pressure and not have to worry about getting killed cause defenders are so paranoid about getting that penalty.       If I'm gonna pay top dollar for a pass rusher I want him to not only pressure the QB but actually finish the play and get the sack.    

While there are defensive linemen out there with low sacks who are still valued and highly rated because of their pressure and disruption, I'm with you - I prefer sacks. They're drive killers

2 hours ago, number20 said:

While there are defensive linemen out there with low sacks who are still valued and highly rated because of their pressure and disruption, I'm with you - I prefer sacks. They're drive killers

An incomplete pass on third down is a drive killer. 

A QB getting hit relentlessly even if he’s escaping sacks is a morale killer. 

That said, it looks like the team only has about $15 million in cap space after estimated rookie contracts. (If I’ve read this right: https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/detroit-lions/cap/)

7 hours ago, Jason_R said:

An incomplete pass on third down is a drive killer.

I'm also a fan of incomplete passes for no gain. I...  just like 10-15 yard losses more

8 hours ago, number20 said:

I'm also a fan of incomplete passes for no gain. I...  just like 10-15 yard losses more

You don’t say. ?

20 hours ago, number20 said:

Never been much of a believer in 'draft grades'. Like rating a dish 'excellent' before anyone eats it - because it looks good on the plate. Won't know until we see these guys play

Good God!!! A sensible post! Thanks!!

i hate to tell you guys this, but we dont know anything about anything.  its a message board.  were all just sitting around talking about sports and giving our half assed opinions.

is it too early to give draft grades?  of course.  but does it give us something to talk about?  yes!  thats the point!

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

i hate to tell you guys this, but we dont know anything about anything.  its a message board.  were all just sitting around talking about sports and giving our half assed opinions.

is it too early to give draft grades?  of course.  but does it give us something to talk about?  yes!  thats the point!

Whatever we think is right chances are the completely opposite is true so in that regards we can gauge what is probably going to end up happening that way.  With the exception being Teez Tabor, most ended up being right about him.