Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

On 3/21/2020 at 3:40 PM, Hongbit said:

Trufant hasn’t been figured in to their number.  The same for their draft pool that is $12.5M.  Expect the Golladay cap number for next year will go up anywhere from $6 - 10M based on how they structure his extension.   

Trufant and everybody else is now figured in and it has them at 31 million.   So would you say they have about 15 to spend after you factor in the draft? 

13 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Trufant and everybody else is now figured in and it has them at 31 million.   So would you say they have about 15 to spend after you factor in the draft? 

Pretty close.  Looks like about $2M from Tony McRae and Killebrew extension haven’t been figure in to those numbers yet. So it looks like $17M or so and then they have to decide on how to handle Golladay.  

I vaguely remember wanting to draft him but I don't know how he has looked in the pros. Is he a good pickup?

ragland looks like a patricia style linebacker, bigger and capable of run stuffing.  the interwebs seems to think he didnt do well once kc went to a 4-3 and that he is better suited to a 3-4 mlb.  kind of like tavai: bigger, slower, run stuffer.

elijah lee is a guy i liked in the draft a few years ago.  might be a special teamer now, not sure.

i guess that forecloses on them making a bunch of linebacker picks!  then again, its not like jarrad davis will be here after next year...

18 minutes ago, Buddha said:

ragland looks like a patricia style linebacker, bigger and capable of run stuffing.  the interwebs seems to think he didnt do well once kc went to a 4-3 and that he is better suited to a 3-4 mlb.  kind of like tavai: bigger, slower, run stuffer.

elijah lee is a guy i liked in the draft a few years ago.  might be a special teamer now, not sure.

i guess that forecloses on them making a bunch of linebacker picks!  then again, its not like jarrad davis will be here after next year...

Only started 7 games last season after all the them the year before, was he hurt or does that mean he lost his starting gig? If he lost his starting role because he was too limited to play regularly given a change of scheme - or wasn't valuable enough in the original scheme that it caused the team to reconsider changing, then I don't see much to get excited about.

Hopefully they are just planning on using Davis in a pass rushing role and that's it.

21 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Only started 7 games last season after all the them the year before, was he hurt or does that mean he lost his starting gig? If he lost his starting role because he was too limited to play regularly given a change of scheme - or wasn't valuable enough in the original scheme that it caused the team to reconsider changing, then I don't see much to get excited about.

i think they changed schemes and he doesnt work as well in a 4-3.

47 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think they changed schemes and he doesnt work as well in a 4-3.

i.e. limited player.  /..sigh../

Does it strike one as obvious that if a defense loads up with physically limited,  scheme dependent players that they become easier to scheme against as an opposing offense? Oh, yeah, maybe that helps explain why the Lion's defensive ratings have sucked recently.

27 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

i.e. limited player.  /..sigh../

Does it strike one as obvious that if a defense loads up with physically limited,  scheme dependent players that they become easier to scheme against as an opposing offense? Oh, yeah, maybe that helps explain why the Lion's defensive ratings have sucked recently.

I remember during the postseason experts were saying this was why Tennessee did so well.  Teams started going with these smaller linebackers so Tennessee just gave it to Derrick Henry and watched him bulldoze all over them.   I'd imagine the opposite is true if you load up on bigger guys, teams will just use smaller shiftier players or plays to combat that.  

2 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Hopefully they are just planning on using Davis in a pass rushing role and that's it.

That's what he should have been this entire time, but given that they only typically send 3 guys and sometimes 4, I have my doubts that they are going to change course on their scheme and philosophy. 

Looks like this rules out the slight change they were going to look at Isaiah Simmons.  I think he’s going to be a future all-pro.   Okudah or Brown seem like the most likely choices.   

I liked Simmons too. He's like Jabrill Peppers but instead of being 5'10 210 he's 6'3 240. Could do a lot of different things with him on the field.

• Thanks 1

On 3/29/2020 at 2:11 PM, sagnam said:

609AF7AA-0203-48DC-8490-A2E1C4A3F43C.jpeg

surprised at derrick carr for the raiders given al davis' love for the bomb back in the day.

I didn't realize Matt Ryan had 10K more than Stafford considering he only got in the league 1 year before him. 

41 minutes ago, Buddha said:

surprised at derrick carr for the raiders given al davis' love for the bomb back in the day.

LOL - Given the way the game has been played for the last generation it's hard to believe some of those old-timers can still be on the list. Sipe, Theismann. Jim Hart!  Some of those name stand for a good deal of franchise futility! xD

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

I didn't realize Matt Ryan had 10K more than Stafford considering he only got in the league 1 year before him. 

Stafford has missed 27 games Ryan 3.

5 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

There was an article the other day that said KC had $177 in cap space.

23 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

LOL - Given the way the game has been played for the last generation it's hard to believe some of those old-timers can still be on the list. Sipe, Theismann. Jim Hart!  Some of those name stand for a good deal of franchise futility! xD

Joe Namath and Len Dawson

On 3/27/2020 at 5:46 PM, Hongbit said:

Looks like this rules out the slight change they were going to look at Isaiah Simmons.  I think he’s going to be a future all-pro.   Okudah or Brown seem like the most likely choices.   

I never thought he was very likely, especially after the Jamie Collins sign. That is where he would fit. Remember that the Lions were after Anthony Barr last year, and he's similar to Simmons. I just think that Okudah has more value.