Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

Just stay at 3 and select either franchise LT or Chase Young, whoever falls.

If anything, trade down if the opportunity is there, and get additional high round picks...

I would probably only consider trades to the Dolphins, Chargers or Panthers. Outside of those teams, the drop off is too far. Washington is also going to entertain trade offers so the Lions may not have leverage but that still works in the Lions favor because that means Young is available at 3.

While Vrable thrives at Tennessee,  you watch Detroit-born Dearborn Fordson product Robert Saleh get a Head Coaching (Cleveland or Jax) job and thrive while the Lions opt for year 3 of the Patriot Bros.    

Browns should have kept Gregg Williams and had Kitchens as the OC.   Seems like Williams is dearly paying for Bountygate, a practice that's been going on as long as there's been an NFL.    

Browns showing serious interest in Josh McDaniels. I simply don't get it. McDaniels was terrible as a head coach, terrible as an OC the one year he wasn't in New England and completely screwed the Colts. Why does he keep generating so much interest?

Vegas is giving Mike McCarthy and Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski the best odds to be the next Browns HC. I've also seen Urban Meyer linked to Cleveland.

14 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm surprised Ron Rivera is going to Washington. He should have his choice of jobs so I'm perplexed he chose Washington.

They are firing Bruce Allen so perhaps Rivera is getting Player Personnel or GM duties too.  

And as far as bad owners,  Snyder is up there, but I think James Dolan of the Knicks is the worst.   Has people thrown out of the arena for booing his last place team.     Had Charles Oakley thrown out of the arena too.   

19 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Vegas is giving Mike McCarthy and Vikings OC Kevin Stefanski the best odds to be the next Browns HC. I've also seen Urban Meyer linked to Cleveland.

I think Urban is going to Dallas.   Jerry will hire someone really big - if Lincoln Riley doesn't take the Dallas job, it could be Urban.  

And Josh McDaniels has that Patriots arrogance that we know all-too-well here.............

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm surprised Jim Schwartz hasn't gotten another opportunity or even an interview.

After seeing this it got me thinking, when was the last time a Lions Head Coach went on to getting a HC elsewhere after they left the Lions?

Predictions

Washington (Rivera has already taken the job)

Dallas - Urban Meyer

NY Giants - Eric Bieniemy

Carolina - Matt Rhule

Cleveland - Mike McCarthy

Jacksonvillke - Byron Leftwich 

3 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

After seeing this it got me thinking, when was the last time a Lions Head Coach went on to getting a HC elsewhere after they left the Lions?

I believe Dick Jauron was hired by Buffalo after Detroit but Jauron was only an interim coach in Detroit. Schwartz inherited an 0-16 team and got them to 10 wins and the playoffs in 3 seasons. His issues seemed to be his immaturity which is something that can be improved with experience. His defenses have generally been good. He's still young and I feel worthy of another shot.

11 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

George Wilson, who left the Lions in 1964 - the year the Fords bought the team.   He went on to coach the Miami Dolphins of the AFL.     If you want NFL, it would be Buddy Parker who left the Lions in 1956 to coach the Steelers the next year

So basically no Head Coach the Fords have ever hired has gone on to be an NFL Head Coach again.   Bobby Ross went on to be a college Head Coach, but that's about it...................

When Jim Schwartz got carried off the field when the Buffalo Bills beat the Lions in a regular season game it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, not just Lions fans.   That hurt him, for sure, but I do think he will eventually get another shot.    

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

George Wilson, who left the Lions in 1964 - the year the Fords bought the team.   He went on to coach the Miami Dolphins.   

So basically no Head Coach the Fords have ever hired has gone on to be an NFL Head Coach again.   Bobby Ross went on to be a college Head Coach, but that's about it...................

When Jim Schwartz got carried off the field when the Buffalo Bills beat the Lions in a regular season game it rubbed a lot of people the wrong way, not just Lions fans.   That hurt him, for sure, but I do think he will eventually get another shot.    

That rubbed people the wrong way but not McDaniels running his QB and star WR out of town and leaving the Colts at the alter.

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

That rubbed people the wrong way but not McDaniels running his QB and star WR out of town and leaving the Colts at the alter.

Well, McDaniels hasn't been hired by anyone yet.      And we don't know the whole story with the Colts.  It could have been the Colts jumped the gun too..........Remember their owner is a mess.........dude would be in prison if he wasn't rich, so he's not the best source.   I do think he said he'd take it, but hadn't signed yet and the Colts made the announcement and Robert Kraft told him he's Belichick's successor.   I don't think he'd accept any offer anyway.   If the Pats drop out in the Wild Card round, I think Brady and Billy may hang it up.  

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Well, McDaniels hasn't been hired by anyone yet.      And we don't know the whole story with the Colts.  It could have been the Colts jumped the gun too..........Remember their owner is a mess.........dude would be in prison if he wasn't rich, so he's not the best source.   I do think he said he'd take it, but hadn't signed yet and the Colts made the announcement and Robert Kraft told him he's Belichick's successor.   I don't think he'd accept any offer anyway.   If the Pats drop out in the Wild Card round, I think Brady and Billy may hang it up.  

Even removing the Colts debacle (Funny it only happens to McDaniels), he drove away Cutler and Marshall and drafted Tim Tebow. He then was OC for the Rams and proceeded to have the worst offense in the league.

I think Brady is done in New England. He has regressed and I think age is catching up with him. Belichick will probably ride off into the sunset as well.

17 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Even removing the Colts debacle (Funny it only happens to McDaniels), he drove away Cutler and Marshall and drafted Tim Tebow. He then was OC for the Rams and proceeded to have the worst offense in the league.

I think Brady is done in New England. He has regressed and I think age is catching up with him. Belichick will probably ride off into the sunset as well.

Don't get me wrong, I hate McDaniels, and I would love to see him take over the Patriots as the fall apart...............He'll get treated the way he seems to have treated others by the fan base.  

T-Minus 1 hour until the annual Bob Quinn press conference.  I’ll be interesting how much he owns of what’s transpired since the last time he spoke in public.  He will certainly be asked to compound upon his famous 9-7 comment and I wonder if he will dance or take it head on.    

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Urban is going to Dallas.   Jerry will hire someone really big - if Lincoln Riley doesn't take the Dallas job, it could be Urban.  

And Josh McDaniels has that Patriots arrogance that we know all-too-well here.............

Urban is from Toledo so maybe the dude was a Browns fan growing up? Meyer with all of those personalities in the locker room would be something to watch.

4 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

T-Minus 1 hour until the annual Bob Quinn press conference.  I’ll be interesting how much he owns of what’s transpired since the last time he spoke in public.  He will certainly be asked to compound upon his famous 9-7 comment and I wonder if he will dance or take it head on.    

My guess is he will dance around it with coach speak and drivel. Even though I know he will just give a bunch of mindless coach speak to the question, I would still like someone to ask him what separates Matt Patrica, the defensive mindset he has and the scheme he employs from the rest of the league.

15 hours ago, Hongbit said:

The Lions may look to be middle of the pack in salary cap money today but many of the teams ahead of them have key players that must be resigned.    Maybe only the bright side of drafting so poorly is there aren’t many guys coming off 5 year rookie deals that need huge pay raises.    I expect they will be in the top 10 in the league in cap space when it comes to free agency.  

I think Jones is a tough call.   If they keep him for 2020, WR is an area that doesn’t need much attention.   Resign Amendola or another cheap slot guy and draft one in the late rounds of a deep WR draft.  If they cut him for cap space then WR now becomes another hole they have to fill.   I wouldn’t be shocked if he also held out to try and get a better deal coming off a 9 TD season but I’d expect he’d cave and wouldn’t stay out for long. 

if the lions cut wagner, dont extend slay, and let glasgow walk, that's half their oline and their #1 corner they have to replace.  also, harrison is talking about retiring which will accelerate his cap hit while leaving them with a gaping hole at dt (ashawn being a free agent).  

if they dont cut slay or trade him, they'll need to extend him and that will cut into their cap for next year.  and all those contracts they handed out last year?  all backloaded so they took really small cap hits in 2019, but that money will come on board soon.  maybe not in 2020, but shortly thereafter.

i'm not sure the lions will be major players in free agency unless they let slay go and they need to spend huge money on a cornerback.