Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

1 hour ago, kdog said:

EO0kTiUWsAgsDoi.jpg

I’m hoping he’s just trying to be a good radio guest.

I’m not sure how anyone uses the word cornerstone to describe the Lions Right Tackle position. 

yeah Rick Wagner has been a below average signing.

On 1/19/2020 at 10:32 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If he wasn't a bad GM then what prevented this team from taking the next step when he was running the show? Did someone walk under a ladder or did a black cat sneak in to Ford Field and the Lions draft war room?

It's really hard to win in this league, even with the right guys in place. I guess we'll be patient until next season. Look up Bill Walsh's record with the 49'ers after two seasons. 

What a great excuse. Years of ineptitude because it's really hard to win and Bill Walsh lost too. Especially hard for the Lions on a consistent basis.

1 hour ago, jb84 said:

What a great excuse. Years of ineptitude because it's really hard to win and Bill Walsh lost too. Especially hard for the Lions on a consistent basis.

Yeah, it was in an article this week. I thought they were making a case for our coaching staff. We'll have to see how long we go with these guys running the show. Maybe we'll win.

Not that it means anything but ESPN just did their 2019 redraft and they had the Lions taking Ed Oliver and Gardner Minshew with their first 2 picks.   Hockenson and Tavai went at the end of the 1st and 2nd rounds respectively.   

10 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not that it means anything but ESPN just did their 2019 redraft and they had the Lions taking Ed Oliver and Gardner Minshew with their first 2 picks.   Hockenson and Tavai went at the end of the 1st and 2nd rounds respectively.   

That's honestly not bad for Tavai. A lot of people panned the Tavai pick and the Lions reached. TEs take longer to develop so I'm not concerned about Hockenson yet.

11 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Quinn needs to have ESPN do the drafting

12 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

No thanks on Minshew but yes on Oliver. I wanted one of Oliver, Burns, Sweat, Bush at the time over Hockenson. We didn't go that direction so I can only hope TJ develops into a stud TE and those other guys fizzle out. I'm guessing that Mel Kiper didn't particpate in this redraft because all we heard from Mel is what an awesome player Hockenson would be. He called him Gronkowski 2.0.

Bob Quinn

"This is the first year we've had a pick this high. We're gonna evaluate everybody from QBs to every position. We'll be ready for whatever happens if we're picking at #3... Or if we get a call from a team wanting to move up, we'll be ready to draft at their spot."

Richard Sherman Dogs the Lions Culture

What Sherman said in-regards to the Lions trying to sign him as a free agent . . .

“But that’s not the kind of football I want to play,” Sherman told David Lombardi of The Athletic. “The way you run their scheme, your culture. You want to do it the Patriots’ way and that’s really not the way I do football. I have fun. I like music at practice. I like to hang out and be relaxed in meetings. I don’t like the stressful environment in football. (The Lions) condition every day after practice. My body isn’t built to run all day and night. I’ll be prepared, but I don’t have to be run into the ground.”

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Richard Sherman Dogs the Lions Culture

What Sherman said in-regards to the Lions trying to sign him as a free agent . . .

i dont see that as a negative on the lions.

i see that more as richard sherman trying to act cool and not realize he threw away a ton of money by taking less from the niners and then, in true richard sherman fashion, bragging about how smart and great he was for doing his own deal.

and the lions work really hard?  oh no!!!!  not a bunch of guys who work hard!!!!!  how terrible!!!!

there are plenty of things to criticize patricia about.  there are plenty of things to criticize the worst franchise in modern american sports about.  richard sherman not wanting to come here because he wanted to listen to music rather than work is not one of them.

• Like 1

Culture is great...but the 49ers were terrible every year after harbaugh left and reaped the rewards in the draft. That also helps.

1 hour ago, kdog said:

Culture is great...but the 49ers were terrible every year after harbaugh left and reaped the rewards in the draft. That also helps.

They also got lucky getting Garrapolo for as little as they did.  If you believe the rumors Belichick had better offers from other teams for him but chose to send him to the 49ers cause he thought that would be the best place for him, he basically wanted Garrapolo to be great to spite the Patriots/Craft for making him trade him and keep Brady.   Again not sure how true any of that is but either way getting a franchise QB with a mid 2nd round pick is extremely fortunate. 

2 hours ago, kdog said:

Being terrible and drafting high means little if the right people aren't in place. That's why teams like us and the Browns are always terrible because of who we draft (or don't).

The 49ers didn't exactly crush it with their early picks aside from Bosa, in 2017 they took Solomon Thomas(3rd overall) and Reuben Foster in the 1st round.   In 2018 they took Mike Mcglinchey in the 1st and Dante Pettis in the 2nd.   Mcglinchey is solid, especially as a run blocker but none of those guys are studs.   

On 1/22/2020 at 3:22 PM, kdog said:

Bob Quinn

Number three pick.  He must be giddy with excitement, but he also has a real dilemma.  He can get either the slowest cornerback in the draft, or the best long snapper.  Tough decision.

Owners are pushing for one less preseason game and one more regular season in the new CBA.  Also pushing for seven teams per conference in the playoffs with only one team getting a bye.  If agreed upon the playoff changes would take effect next year. 

every sport is seeking to expand the playoffs.

in 20 years every team will make it and the season will just be an all out attempt not to get hurt.