Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Golladay is due for an extension and going to command a top 10 salary. Marvin Jones is 30 and will be in the last year of his contract. Given Golladay will be among the highest paid receivers, it would be better to fill that other receiver spot with a rookie WR.

true.

my only question with taking jeudy that high is whether you can get a really good receiver in round 2 whereas you cant get a really good pass rusher/tackle/corner.

21 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Need for WR will come soon enough... and, in fact, showed up at the end of last season.

Well, it only showed up at the end of the season because Jones was out. Chances are that they can just let Jones walk after next season with Jeudy in the fold or deal him now while his value is relatively high. It would be a rotten thing to do considering what Jones has been through personally but that's the business unfortunately. I'm a Jeudy fanboy though, this guy has the "it" factor. Him and Golladay with Hock in the middle would be unstoppable.

I wouldn't hate Brown being the pick but I don't see franchise upside with him, I see that in Jeudy and Okudah.

What I find interesting is a few ESPN pundits saying that the Lions could be a darkhorse to take Tua. I sure hope that Miami, LAC and Carolina take those whispers seriously and consider moving up to get their guy. 

5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the lions need difference makers.  they have stafford and maybe galloway that's pretty much it.

Yep, that's how I look at it. The Lions need gamebreakers and at 3 you better damn well get one. Not whoever fits the silly scheme or this "high floor" nonsense, go get a playmaker please.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

true.

my only question with taking jeudy that high is whether you can get a really good receiver in round 2 whereas you cant get a really good pass rusher/tackle/corner.

I'm assuming Chase Young is off the board. If Young is off the board, I probably draft Jeudy. The Lions are going to win on the arm of Stafford. Might as well build an elite offense. They would only need a defense that is good enough. They have a high pick in the 2nd round. There are also some intriguing free agent pass rushers. They don't have the upside of Young but would be an improvement. If the defense can be top 20, they can win games.

4 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I'm assuming Chase Young is off the board. If Young is off the board, I probably draft Jeudy. The Lions are going to win on the arm of Stafford. Might as well build an elite offense. They would only need a defense that is good enough. They have a high pick in the 2nd round. There are also some intriguing free agent pass rushers. They don't have the upside of Young but would be an improvement. If the defense can be top 20, they can win games.

without having had time to do my research* yet, i would rank them young, jeudy, okudah.  those seem like the best playmakers available for them.

* "research" being taking other people's opinions and parroting them as my own.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, NYLion said:

He should be in consideration because the draft is pretty weak for front 7 players after Young but I think people are going to be disappointed if they expect him to be another Suh. I could be wrong though, wouldn't be the first time.

I think Jeudy and Okudah have the highest upside IMO of the available players but the problem is that Jeudy isn't a current need and it can be argued that corner isn't as big a need as the front 7. Personally, I'd seriously consider Jeudy. Draft the best talent, worry about need later. 

Does drafting a generational Tight End impact whether or not you would pick a receiver this high? If not next year, shortly there after, isn't Hockenson supposed to be a guy that's going to get you 70+ receptions/1,000-1,200 yards/8-10 TDs just as a receiver would? 

This is an easy pick.  Assuming Washington takes chase young, the pick is Jeudy.  

If anyone trades up the haul has to be large.   Not a fan of trading down, this is a good draft to have the 3rd pick.  

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Does drafting a generational Tight End impact whether or not you would pick a receiver this high? If not next year, shortly there after, isn't Hockenson supposed to be a guy that's going to get you 70+ receptions/1,000-1,200 yards/8-10 TDs just as a receiver would? 

Frankly we're in this predicament of drafting TEs and WRs because the Lions didn't draft Connor Cook. 

I see people say that Okudah is a very good player, who “projects” similarly to Marshon Lattimore and Denzel Ward, but who was tied for 51st among CBs this season for INTs (3), 79th in PBUs (9), and below 150th in tackles. I would not hate the pick at 3 because I’m sure college QBs were terrified to throw towards him. But I’m not on the bandwagon. Still I would love him at 5, 6, or 7.

Jerry Jeudy put up 24 TDs and 2,500 yards in two seasons as a starter, when everybody has known the ball was coming his way. And, of course, he took the Michigan secondary to the woodshed. He would make the Lions offense — which showed sparks last season — legitimately explosive. I am on my way to loving Jeudy at 3. 

3 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I see people say that Okudah is a very good player, who “projects” similarly to Marshon Lattimore and Denzel Ward, but who was tied for 51st among CBs this season for INTs (3), 79th in PBUs (9), and below 150th in tackles. I would not hate the pick at 3 because I’m sure college QBs were terrified to throw towards him. But I’m not on the bandwagon. Still I would love him at 5, 6, or 7.

Jerry Jeudy put up 24 TDs and 2,500 yards in two seasons as a starter, when everybody has known the ball was coming his way. And, of course, he took the Michigan secondary to the woodshed. He would make the Lions offense — which showed sparks last season — legitimately explosive. I am on my way to loving Jeudy at 3. 

Me too, I'm sure I will change my mind a 100 times by draft day but as of now I'm all aboard the draft Jeudy train. 

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Frankly we're in this predicament of drafting TEs and WRs because the Lions didn't draft Connor Cook. 

Your sarcasm falls flat on its face given that we won 3 games this year, so it ain't like having Connor Cook would have hurt this franchise. Hey, keep picking first round Tight Ends in the top 10 though when virtually no one else in the league does it. You need new material.

8 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Your sarcasm falls flat on its face given that we won 3 games this year, so it ain't like having Connor Cook would have hurt this franchise. Hey, keep picking first round Tight Ends in the top 10 though when virtually no one else in the league does it. You need new material.

Just saying, it's hard to take you seriously when you emphatically wanted to trade Stafford and draft Connor Cook about two rounds before anyone else did. We also know you have a vendetta against drafting a TE early so matter what Hockenson does, it won't be good enough. You're also the same person who didn't want to draft offense anyways because you don't like Stafford and wanted to sabotage him or something.

I have a vendetta against drafting a TE early and so do seemingly most other NFL teams. The last team to draft a TE in the top 10 of the first round before Hockenson was us, drafting Ebron at #10 in 2014. Prior to that you have to go all the way back to 2006 and the 49'ers drafting Vernon Davis. It seems there is a reason that isn't done often.

At minimum I expect Hockenson to be Jason Witten with that level of longevity and production combined. Given that he was sold to us as a generational prospect I really expect him to be Tony Gonzalez or Rob Gronkowski. If he falls woefully short of that I expect this fan base will treat him as they did Eric Ebron, minus all the spats on Twitter that Ebron had with fans.

What's with Dan Orlovsky, is he in love with Matthew Stafford or something?      I can't even listen to him speak on anything because of his boundless love for Stafford.   Stafford is a really good QB, but he's not elite and after having broken his back 2 years in a row the Lions absolutely should consider Tua at #3.     Not saying they absolutely have to take him or anything, but they need to consider it.  Stafford is north of 30 and, as tough as he truly is, he's starting to show the wear and tear of an NFL QB............and he's never won a playoff game. 

Is Jerry Jeudy comparable to Tyreek Hill? If so its a no brainier to take him if hes available. 

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

What's with Dan Orlovsky, is he in love with Matthew Stafford or something?      I can't even listen to him speak on anything because of his boundless love for Stafford.   Stafford is a really good QB, but he's not elite and after having broken his back 2 years in a row the Lions absolutely should consider Tua at #3.     Not saying they absolutely have to take him or anything, but they need to consider it.  Stafford is north of 30 and, as tough as he truly is, he's starting to show the wear and tear of an NFL QB............and he's never won a playoff game. 

I am sympathetic to the idea of taking a QB when you have and 'older' QB and a very high pick but Srafford being 'only' 31 puts them right at the edge of it being a good vs bad decision. Certainly if the medicals on Stafford say there is any kind of concern, take the QB given the chance, but then again, just because it's the Lions it can't even be that simple, you have to deal with residual uncertainty over Tua's health. Without access to medicals on both Stafford and Tua, I can't say which I think is the better course.

Some have argued Tua coming out proves he is OK. It might only prove he wants to get paid before anything bad develops down the road.

16 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

This is an easy pick.  Assuming Washington takes chase young, the pick is Jeudy.  

If anyone trades up the haul has to be large.   Not a fan of trading down, this is a good draft to have the 3rd pick.  

I think this is a good draft to have the #3 or #4 pick in the Giants case in the sense that a trade down is a good option but as far as talent available is concerned at positions of need, not so great for the Lions. Jeudy would be a great pick at 3 but I don't see Quinn taking that leap. 

Tua getting injured was a rotten break for the Lions too because this pick could have had massive trade down value if he had stayed healthy.

@Jason_R  I think Okudah's numbers were down a bit because he usually shut down things on his side and wasn't targeted that much. Similar to why Slay hasn't gotten a lot of interceptions in recent years, because QBs don't throw much to his side anymore now that he's a known commodity.

Absolutely the Lions should think about replacing their established franchise QB with medical concerns for an unproven QB with medical concerns.

• Like 1

By all accounts Tua has been given a clean bill of health and will participate in the combine and pre-draft workouts. If he hasn't than you don't consider him and that is that. I guess we can't ever consider a QB, ever never as long as Stafford is here.

11 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

By all accounts Tua has been given a clean bill of health and will participate in the combine and pre-draft workouts.

I'm sure that is true as far as it goes. But there is a difference between a clean bill of health to continue and them being able to say he is not at higher residual risk for reinjury than the average player. Which is sort of where we will be with Stafford..:alien:

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

Absolutely the Lions should think about replacing their established franchise QB with medical concerns for an unproven QB with medical concerns.

It really does sound like a stupid idea when you spin it like this and ignore the massive benefits with regard to age and contact that Tua would bring vs what we have in Stafford.     

Not passing judgement on whether Tua would be better or worse than Stafford but let’s at least compare them possibilities using all the pro’s and cons   

5 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

It really does sound like a stupid idea when you spin it like this and ignore the massive benefits with regard to age and contact that Tua would bring vs what we have in Stafford.     

Not passing judgement on whether Tua would be better or worse than Stafford but let’s at least compare them possibilities using all the pro’s and cons   

Because it is a stupid idea? It is much more likely Tua won't ever be as good as Stafford. Stafford isn't exactly at the end of his career either. You don't draft your backup QB with the 3rd overall pick.

19 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

How many seasons combined does Hockenson get to reach those numbers?