Motor City Sonics

2020 Offseason (all the way up to the Draft)

I love playing the First-Pick game.................You go online and you are the GM of the team and you get to draft for a team with real prospects - and you can make trades.   It is VERY addictive. 

I just made a few trades and picked up some extra picks and this is what I got

Round 1 (5)  -  Isiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

Round 1 (21) - Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State

Round 2 (3) - Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Oregon

Round 3 (24) - Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma

Round 3 (3) - JR Reed,  SS, Georgia

Round 3 (24) - Ben Bredeson, OG, Michigan

After that who cares -  If the Lions had a draft like that in the first 3 rounds I would issue Bob Quinn a public apology.  

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I love playing the First-Pick game.................You go online and you are the GM of the team and you get to draft for a team with real prospects - and you can make trades.   It is VERY addictive. 

I just made a few trades and picked up some extra picks and this is what I got

Round 1 (5)  -  Isiah Simmons, LB, Clemson

Round 1 (21) - Jeff Okudah, CB, Ohio State

Round 2 (3) - Calvin Throckmorton, OT, Oregon

Round 3 (24) - Kenneth Murray, LB, Oklahoma

Round 3 (3) - JR Reed,  SS, Georgia

Round 3 (24) - Ben Bredeson, OG, Michigan

After that who cares -  If the Lions had a draft like that in the first 3 rounds I would issue Bob Quinn a public apology.  

Ideally I'd like to see them use the leverage of the 3rd pick (Burrows/Young go 1/2) and try to trade down while staying in the top 10.  Love the first round guys you have targeted as Okudah would be my choice.   

I am also hoping they trade Slay for a 1st and other picks.   They need multiple first round picks. 

In the draft I'd like to see an OL and playmaker targeted in the 3rd round or earlier then all defense after that.  

I'm also not sold on Kerryon Johnson and would like to see JK Dobbins in honolulu blue.  

Slay is not getting a 1st rounder in return. 

I don’t get the Quinntricias plan. It’s pretty much hope a healthy Stafford can cover your decencies and be healthy. 

People keep talking about all this cap space but the Lions rank in the middle. Harrison said he might retire that would add some space. Marvin Jones can be cut, well he should be cut as Lions can save 9 million doing so. Other teams have just as much space, unless your the Vikings. Players know the regime is on the hot seat because the owner said so, given the losing history Lions are probably going to have to overbid.

Quinns record has been I’d say averagish with free agency. So if he over pays and gets a starter or two, there still too many holes to be filled in the draft. 

Quinn has put the Lions in a tough spot by drafting guys just because they fit the system. Tavi is a two down player, you don’t take a two down player that high in the second. Tabor was slow, everyone knows he was slow. The defensive system you knew you were bringing in calls for a lot of man Coverage. The Lions have no pass rush, slow corners in man coverage and no pass rush is a terrible recipe. He traded up for a RB who literally had never stayed healthy. Davis was known to lack instinct that was the knock in him in college, but he went with him anyway.

It’s been four years under Quinn. Everyone has been turned over except Stafford and Muhlbach. There is no more excuses. Under what scenario do these holes get filled? I just don’t get it, if the Lions are going to fire Quinntricia if they don’t make the playoffs or come close next year they should do it now. Because that isn’t happening next year.

Glasgow said he wants to go somewhere he is respected. Translation I’m not comi back because I had to split time with inferior talent.

Agree with most of what you say Maroth. The smartest guys in the NFL have backed themselves into a very tight spot with a lot of players who they might not be able to replace. They just look like amateurs. 

Redskins have the #2 pick. They have recently spent high picks on Montez Sweat and Daron Payne. They also have a young QB and a long term holdout at LT in Trent Williams. 

According to the draft chart, the # 2 pick is worth 2,600 points. (Yes, lets take these values with a big grain of salt.) 

The Lions have #3, worth 2,200 points. 

What should Quinn offer the Redskins to move up to #2? What would the Redskins take?

35 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Agree with most of what you say Maroth. The smartest guys in the NFL have backed themselves into a very tight spot with a lot of players who they might not be able to replace. They just look like amateurs. 

this is a point that has struck me about this regime - not only are their drafts not good enough to turn a team around, they don't seem to be able to keep talent they already have - which just makes their drafting deficiencies that much more  glaring. If you can't keep a guy like Glasgow happy you have no hope of every keeping enough talent around to become a playoff team. Just really disappointed to see Quinn still here.

1 hour ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Slay is not getting a 1st rounder in return. 

I don’t get the Quinntricias plan. It’s pretty much hope a healthy Stafford can cover your decencies and be healthy. 

People keep talking about all this cap space but the Lions rank in the middle. Harrison said he might retire that would add some space. Marvin Jones can be cut, well he should be cut as Lions can save 9 million doing so. Other teams have just as much space, unless your the Vikings. Players know the regime is on the hot seat because the owner said so, given the losing history Lions are probably going to have to overbid.

Quinns record has been I’d say averagish with free agency. So if he over pays and gets a starter or two, there still too many holes to be filled in the draft. 

The Lions may look to be middle of the pack in salary cap money today but many of the teams ahead of them have key players that must be resigned.    Maybe only the bright side of drafting so poorly is there aren’t many guys coming off 5 year rookie deals that need huge pay raises.    I expect they will be in the top 10 in the league in cap space when it comes to free agency.  

I think Jones is a tough call.   If they keep him for 2020, WR is an area that doesn’t need much attention.   Resign Amendola or another cheap slot guy and draft one in the late rounds of a deep WR draft.  If they cut him for cap space then WR now becomes another hole they have to fill.   I wouldn’t be shocked if he also held out to try and get a better deal coming off a 9 TD season but I’d expect he’d cave and wouldn’t stay out for long. 

Redskins now allegedly have Rivera as top candidate will try to sign him Monday.

Jason Garrets contract expires Wednesday he will not be offered a new one.

No intern coach will be back.

Giants coach is allegedly gone.

mixed reports on Marrone.

3 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The Lions may look to be middle of the pack in salary cap money today but many of the teams ahead of them have key players that must be resigned.    Maybe only the bright side of drafting so poorly is there aren’t many guys coming off 5 year rookie deals that need huge pay raises.    I expect they will be in the top 10 in the league in cap space when it comes to free agency.  

I think Jones is a tough call.   If they keep him for 2020, WR is an area that doesn’t need much attention.   Resign Amendola or another cheap slot guy and draft one in the late rounds of a deep WR draft.  If they cut him for cap space then WR now becomes another hole they have to fill.   I wouldn’t be shocked if he also held out to try and get a better deal coming off a 9 TD season but I’d expect he’d cave and wouldn’t stay out for long. 

I don’t think you can count on Amendola for another year. As a 4th WR that’s fine, but slot WR is a key position for the Lions offense. If Stafford has a capable slot WR the offense is entirely different than when he doesn’t.  Ideally there is a reliable player at the slot who isn’t ancient. Then the Lions take a mid round guy they can develop rather quickly in a deep wr class.

As far as not having a ton of guy to re-sign your right. But that’s also a problem. If someone like A’shawn walks that’s another hole to fill. Glasgow leaving will create another hole. Even guys like Mike Ford who is ERFA had some value when he stepped in someone will need to fill that role and be paid. 

I’m not going to go position by position but needless to say the Lions have starters who are more suited to be a reserve. There are holes on both sides of the ball. Real question marks about some players health.

I want Quinntricia to succeed as much as anyone if not more. I just don’t see the plan. I don’t agree with the Ford family putting the regime on notice publicly. 

What should alarm fans is that the Quinntricia “culture change” has not worked. Not even a little. 

Diggs was traded because he voiced his opinion in the locker room that Davis had no business calling defenses and sucking at MLB. Slay has also voiced similar complaints about being hung out to dry due to lack of pass rush. So those guys get shipped out.

I know no one recalls Valles. He probably has an axe to grind but he said the second Patricia came in he walked in with a I am smarter than you arrogance. Never was on time once for a meeting but fined players if they were a minute late, made it a point to show up late and the rules were different for him. It’s a small thing but he walked in and flipped out there was a ping pong table in the locker room. The worse thing I believe he said was that no one was buying in, former Patriot guys said Patricia was Belichick arrogance on steroids. Players don’t feel he’s earned that right. The former patriot guys further said the culture was nothing like that in New England. Apparently it is all negative in teams meeting as just butt chewing. The only positivity is from position coaches and even then they are negative.

1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

Redskins have the #2 pick. They have recently spent high picks on Montez Sweat and Daron Payne. They also have a young QB and a long term holdout at LT in Trent Williams. 

According to the draft chart, the # 2 pick is worth 2,600 points. (Yes, lets take these values with a big grain of salt.) 

What should Quinn offer the Redskins to move up to #2? What would the Redskins take?

I’m having insomnia so excuse all my posting tonight.

Ive heard this brought up on multiple radio shows and the like. The consensus from the talking heads a first and a second to start the conversation.

How accurate that is,  I don’t know. But that is where the conversation always starts.

In 2017, The Bears famously traded up from 3 to 2 to select Trubisky instead of Mahomes.   They gave up a 1st, 3rd, 4th, and a 3rd the following year.   As a sidenote, SF traded that 3rd to New Orleans who took Alvin Kamara with the Bears original pick.

20 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

In 2017, The Bears famously traded up from 3 to 2 to select Trubisky instead of Mahomes.   They gave up a 1st, 3rd, 4th, and a 3rd the following year.   As a sidenote, SF traded that 3rd to New Orleans who took Alvin Kamara with the Bears original pick.

and just think - as doorpost dumb as this proves the Bears have been, they still finished 4 1/2 games better than the Lions.

7 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

What should alarm fans is that the Quinntricia “culture change” has not worked. Not even a little. 

Diggs was traded because he voiced his opinion in the locker room that Davis had no business calling defenses and sucking at MLB. Slay has also voiced similar complaints about being hung out to dry due to lack of pass rush. So those guys get shipped out.

I know no one recalls Valles. He probably has an axe to grind but he said the second Patricia came in he walked in with a I am smarter than you arrogance. Never was on time once for a meeting but fined players if they were a minute late, made it a point to show up late and the rules were different for him. It’s a small thing but he walked in and flipped out there was a ping pong table in the locker room. The worse thing I believe he said was that no one was buying in, former Patriot guys said Patricia was Belichick arrogance on steroids. Players don’t feel he’s earned that right. The former patriot guys further said the culture was nothing like that in New England. Apparently it is all negative in teams meeting as just butt chewing. The only positivity is from position coaches and even then they are negative.

Guy has the good fortune to be hired by Bill Belicheck, persuades himself he is Vince Lombardi.

10 hours ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

Glasgow said he wants to go somewhere he is respected. Translation I’m not comi back because I had to split time with inferior talent.

Translation - They don't want to pay me what I'm worth.

9 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Nothing. Only trade up this high in the 1st if it's for a franchise QB. Young disappearing in the big games was a bit of a turn off for me. I'd still be happy to take him at 3 but I'm not spending extra assets to get him.

As usual, the trade down is a better option. There's not much separating 3rd-8th or so in this draft and with the Lions having needs everywhere, accumulating picks would be the smart play. Feed off the QB starved teams like Carolina or the Chargers who would probably love to jump Miami to get their guy whether it be Tua or Herbert.

Can't they restructure Marvin Jones and tack on another year and spread his cap hit? Not sure I want to cut Jones if the mandate is to make the playoffs.

3 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Nothing. Only trade up this high in the 1st if it's for a franchise QB. Young disappearing in the big games was a bit of a turn off for me. I'd still be happy to take him at 3 but I'm not spending extra assets to get him.

As usual, the trade down is a better option. There's not much separating 3rd-8th or so in this draft and with the Lions having needs everywhere, accumulating picks would be the smart play. Feed off the QB starved teams like Carolina or the Chargers who would probably love to jump Miami to get their guy whether it be Tua or Herbert.

Or Miami themselves. Chicago traded up for Trubisky even though San Francisco was not going to draft a QB.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Or Miami themselves. Chicago traded up for Trubisky even though San Francisco was not going to draft a QB.

Possible. They might want to block the Chargers and Panthers from jumping them. Miami has a wealth of high picks too so they might deem them somewhat expendable to get their 1st franchise QB since Marino.

When was the last time the Lions traded their 1st round pick? I seem to recall back when they traded down one spot to draft Roy Williams, but I can't recall the Lions trading their 1st often.

They did, it was a pretty weak trade too. #23 for #28 two 5ths and a scrub O-lineman.

I don't expect a trade down in this draft, they rarely happen with anybody, but the options certainly will be there and I guarantee we hear a lot of rumors about Quinn getting calls.