Mr.TaterSalad

Sell The Team: Jeff Bezos Addition

14 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

Its being/been reported he wants a football team.

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/jeff-bezos-reportedly-interested-buying-nfl-team-2019-11

Yeah but even that's just unnamed sources. It's not like he has come out and has been like I'd like a sports team.

59 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

Yeah but even that's just unnamed sources. It's not like he has come out and has been like I'd like a sports team.

OTOH, that wouldn't be the smartest thing to do even if he did so that may not mean much. 

Thing is, there are all kinds of family dynamics that could be in play we know nothing about but which could be the deepest driving forces. Just thinking about Sheila Ford's name on the PR. Now up front - I'm just off the cuffing it here - but let's say, Sheila, after watching her dad just assume her brother was the interested party most of her adult life, has gotten involved with her mother on the work around the team and loves it, but maybe for tax and sibling reasons she knows she can never inherit the team as sole owner, this interlude is all she is going to get. So then what is her angle? "Mom, keep the team for you and me until the end, and the estate will sell it when you are gone.....

That could be as likely as any one of a hundred scenarios of what is motivating the people in the family.

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

OTOH, that wouldn't be the smartest thing to do even if he did so that may not mean much. 

Thing is, there are all kinds of family dynamics that could be in play we know nothing about but which could be the deepest driving forces. Just thinking about Sheila Ford's name on the PR. Now up front - I'm just off the cuffing it here - but let's say, Sheila, after watching her dad just assume her brother was the interested party most of her adult life, has gotten involved with her mother on the work around the team and loves it, but maybe for tax and sibling reasons she knows she can never inherit the team as sole owner, this interlude is all she is going to get. So then what is her angle? "Mom, keep the team for you and me until the end, and the estate will sell it when you are gone.....

That could be as likely as any one of a hundred scenarios of what is motivating the people in the family.

So very true. We have no idea how the family dynamics come into play. Just today there was an article insisting selling the team is not an option. But that could all be part of the game....go ahead, make us an offer we can't refuse.

As a longtime fan, I would love to see this team sold to someone who insists losing isn't an option. At this point, even if the guy was a self-absorbed jerk? I wouldn't care. Jerry Jones part 2? Fine, as long as we win a few championships in the next decade or so. But keeping this team in the Ford family ensures an accepted losing tradition. The sorriest franchise in all of sports, by far.

Jerry Jones hasn't won a Super Bowl in like 25 years and stubbornly sticks with Jason Garrett who Cowboys fans wanted fired a couple seasons ago.

28 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jerry Jones hasn't won a Super Bowl in like 25 years and stubbornly sticks with Jason Garrett who Cowboys fans wanted fired a couple seasons ago.

Jerry Jones owns a team that has won multiple Super Bowls. And I was just using him as an example of a jerk. Give me a jerk owner who doesn't accept winning over the uninterested Ford family any day. There really is a reason the Lions have been doormats for 60+ years. One common denominator. 

6 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Jerry Jones owns a team that has won multiple Super Bowls. And I was just using him as an example of a jerk. Give me a jerk owner who doesn't accept winning over the uninterested Ford family any day. There really is a reason the Lions have been doormats for 60+ years. One common denominator. 

The Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl in 25 years. They have as many playoff appearances as the Lions do this decade.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Cowboys haven't won a Super Bowl in 25 years. They have as many playoff appearances as the Lions do this decade.

So what? They have multiple championships. If the Lions had any success at all, this wouldn't be an issue. You have to give the Lions credit, having a totally horrible product for this long isn't easy to do. It seems like they would have had at least a bit of success, even if it was just by luck. But they were and still are, the laughingstock of the NFL. 

And now they're bringing back their inept GM and his horrible coach for another season. Maybe next year we can get to .500? Baby steps all the way. What a joke.

24 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

So what? They have multiple championships. If the Lions had any success at all, this wouldn't be an issue. You have to give the Lions credit, having a totally horrible product for this long isn't easy to do. It seems like they would have had at least a bit of success, even if it was just by luck. But they were and still are, the laughingstock of the NFL. 

And now they're bringing back their inept GM and his horrible coach for another season. Maybe next year we can get to .500? Baby steps all the way. What a joke.

Jerry Jones is also the GM. He won two Super Bowls with players he signed off on for Jimmie Johnson. He got into a power struggle with Jimmie Johnson and fired him after two Super Bowls. They won one more Super Bowl with the holdovers and then for the past 20 years have been mediocre at best. Jerry Jones is a terrible example.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Jerry Jones is also the GM. He won two Super Bowls with players he signed off on for Jimmie Johnson. He got into a power struggle with Jimmie Johnson and fired him after two Super Bowls. They won one more Super Bowl with the holdovers and then for the past 20 years have been mediocre at best. Jerry Jones is a terrible example.

Jerry Jones was used as an example of an abrasive owner. Who won championships. I wouldn't care if the Lions had an abrasive owner, as long as they won.

4 minutes ago, Sports_Freak said:

Jerry Jones was used as an example of an abrasive owner. Who won championships. I wouldn't care if the Lions had an abrasive owner, as long as they won.

Jerry Jones is a terrible owner. Jimmy Johnson built those Super Bowl teams. Jones wanted the credit so he fired Johnson and Dallas has been mediocre at best in the 25 years he has been GM. An owner as a GM is a terrible idea. The only other team that does that is Cincinnati. 

7 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

the cowboys have a better record than the lions this decade....

and pretty much every decade since the 1960s.

come on man.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

the cowboys have a better record than the lions this decade....

and pretty much every decade since the 1960s.

come on man.

Yet the Cowboys and Lions have made the playoffs the same number of times this decade. I forgot, you are enamoured with past success. For some reason I guess you want an owner who would sabotage a dynasty over ego and run the team in mediocrity for two decades.  

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Yet the Cowboys and Lions have made the playoffs the same number of times this decade. I forgot, you are enamoured with past success. For some reason I guess you want an owner who would sabotage a dynasty over ego and run the team in mediocrity for two decades.  

i am enamored with any success.  because i am a lions fan, i look longingly at it and wonder what it must be like.

you are enamored with failure and continually point out how its not so bad because 31 other teams dont win the super bowl either.

i'd like to know what losing a super bowl feels like.

you say you want patricia fired and then spend all your time arguing that everything the lions do is ok because other teams lose too.  

you poo poo 12 win 13 win 14 win and 15 win seasons as flukes.  how about we have a fluke like that?  just ******* once?  i'll take it.

but not you.  unless its some sustainable series of 12 win seasons its just a fluke and the lions are just as good.  ok.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i am enamored with any success.  because i am a lions fan, i look longingly at it and wonder what it must be like.

you are enamored with failure and continually point out how its not so bad because 31 other teams dont win the super bowl either.

i'd like to know what losing a super bowl feels like.

Except, the Cowboys won in spite of Jerry Jones. Jimmy Johnson built that team and Jones ruined it. It's highly unlikely Jerry Jones would have anywhere near that success in Detroit. He fired Johnson after winning back to back Super Bowls but kept Garret after a decade of average to a little above average play. It's never a good idea to have an owner as a GM. Jones isn't going to fire himself. 

you say you want patricia fired and then spend all your time arguing that everything the lions do is ok because other teams lose too.  

you poo poo 12 win 13 win 14 win and 15 win seasons as flukes.  how about we have a fluke like that?  just ******* once?  i'll take it.

but not you.  unless its some sustainable series of 12 win seasons its just a fluke and the lions are just as good.  ok.

I'm arguing Jerry Jones is a terrible owner. It's funny how Detroit fans wanted Ken Holland and Joe Dumars fired and yet think Jerry Jones is a good owner. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

Except, the Cowboys won in spite of Jerry Jones. Jimmy Johnson built that team and Jones ruined it. It's highly unlikely Jerry Jones would have anywhere near that success in Detroit. He fired Johnson after winning back to back Super Bowls but kept Garret after a decade of average to a little above average play. It's never a good idea to have an owner as a GM. Jones isn't going to fire himself. 

jerry jones sucks.  his team has been more successful than the lions in the last ten years, 20 years, and throughout his tenure as owner.

Guaranteed Lions fans would be whining if Jones owned the Lions. I'm not even sure what a good owner is. Is Robert Kraft a good owner or did he just luck into finding Belichick? I guess the big difference between Kraft and Jones is that Kraft didn't mess with a good thing. 

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Guaranteed Lions fans would be whining if Jones owned the Lions. I'm not even sure what a good owner is. Is Robert Kraft a good owner or did he just luck into finding Belichick? I guess the big difference between Kraft and Jones is that Kraft didn't mess with a good thing. 

all fans whine all the time.

lions fans have more reason to whine than any fan base of any american sports team other than maybe the cleveland browns.

all fans whine all the time.

lions fans have more reason to whine than any fan base of any american sports team other than maybe the cleveland browns.

Only Lions fans are pining for Jerry Jones. It is highly unlikely a Jerry Jones type would come to Detroit and luck into finding someone like Jimmy Johnson and then fire him over a power struggle. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Only Lions fans are pining for Jerry Jones. It is highly unlikely a Jerry Jones type would come to Detroit and luck into finding someone like Jimmy Johnson and then fire him over a power struggle. 

the lions are one of the only franchises that has worse ownership than jerry jones.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the lions are one of the only franchises that has worse ownership than jerry jones.

I think Martha gets unfairly compared to WCF. I'm not sure, as an owner, what Martha could have done differently. 

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think Martha gets unfairly compared to WCF. I'm not sure, as an owner, what Martha could have done differently. 

lumping martha in with wcf is unfair to her.

that said, she's not off to a great start.