Mr.TaterSalad

Sell The Team: Jeff Bezos Addition

47 minutes ago, MAROTH4MVP said:

I think the one error in the article could be about cap gains. It depends on whether she co-owned the Lions with WCF or inherited them. If he was sole owner and  she inherited it as a spouse, I believe she gets a cap value basis reset so she could sell with only a relatively small Cap Gain hit. In fact if she sells, she can then trust the proceeds for her kids. If she dies before converting the team into something with less tax bite (like Mike Ilitch did), they will have to pay the inheritance income tax on the full value of the team (though again, not cap gains - which would reset)

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Could Amazon Billionaire Jeff Bezos Be Interested in Purchasing the Lions?

Would you be interested in having Amazon billionaire Jeff Bezos buy the Lions? Are there worse owners in sports than the Ford Family?

There are worse owners.   James Dolan of the Knicks............Dan Snyder of the Redskins.........Dean Spanos of the Chargers....... Mark Davis of the Raiders.......

please god, let lord bezos buy the lions amd make them the most efficient team in football.

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There are worse owners.   James Dolan of the Knicks............Dan Snyder of the Redskins.........Dean Spanos of the Chargers....... Mark Davis of the Raiders.......

No way! The Lions, under Ford ownership have one playoff win 57, no championships in the Super Bowl era, had not one but two franchise players retire early, dozens and dozens of coaching regimes, the Matt Millen era, etc. The Ford Family is the worst ownership group in sports now that Donald Sterling is out at the Clippers.

I think Martha gets too much blame for what happened under WCF. As soon as she took over, she fired Mayhew less than one season removed from an 11 win season. She consulted experienced NFL people, interviewed numerous outside candidates from successful organizations and hired a qualified GM. That's all you can ask from your owner. I would have liked to have seen Patricia fired but she may have deferred to Quinn on that one.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think Martha gets too much blame for what happened under WCF. As soon as she took over, she fired Mayhew less than one season removed from an 11 win season. She consulted experienced NFL people, interviewed numerous outside candidates from successful organizations and hired a qualified GM. That's all you can ask from your owner. I would have liked to have seen Patricia fired but she may have deferred to Quinn on that one.

When did the qualified GM get replaced by Bob Quinn?

40 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

No way! The Lions, under Ford ownership have one playoff win 57, no championships in the Super Bowl era, had not one but two franchise players retire early, dozens and dozens of coaching regimes, the Matt Millen era, etc. The Ford Family is the worst ownership group in sports now that Donald Sterling is out at the Clippers.

James Dolan has people thrown out for cheering for the other team and nobody wants to play or coach for him.    Dan Snyder, well, just look at his record, the once-proud Washington Football Team plays before half-empty stadium and he refuses to just tweak a name that everyone thinks is inappropriate.   Dean Spanos and Mark Davis whored out their fan bases and took their teams away.   The Fords, as much as they've lost, don't treat their fanbase like that.   They paid for their own stadium (mostly) and didn't hold fans hostage over it.     

Honestly, Willie Clay Ford's issue was that he was too loyal. They are also too hands off. All indications are the Ford's take care of their players. I read about Reggie Brown and WCF visiting him in the hospital. When it became apparent his NFL career was over, WCF got him into a program with Ford Motor Company to own his own dealership.

2 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Honestly, Willie Clay Ford's issue was that he was too loyal. They are also too hands off. All indications are the Ford's take care of their players. I read about Reggie Brown and WCF visiting him in the hospital. When it became apparent his NFL career was over, WCF got him into a program with Ford Motor Company to own his own dealership.

wcf was - by most accounts i heard - a decent man.  like you said, he was too loyal.

and incompetent in selecting leadership.

the lions have had good people in their front office, jerry vanisi, ron hughes, but they inevitably leave.

8 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Russ Thomas treated several injured players really poorly over the years, FWIW.

they also made decisions to seek money from barry and calvin when they didnt have to.

could be a loyalty thing there.

53 minutes ago, Buddha said:

they also made decisions to seek money from barry and calvin when they didnt have to.

could be a loyalty thing there.

I believe they had to for salary cap purposes.

Ok I'm all for the fords selling the team

But what sense does Bezos make. He hasnt much if any interest in sports and has no ties to detroit.

If he was gonna buy a team it would be in LA or New York

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

wcf was - by most accounts i heard - a decent man.  like you said, he was too loyal.

and incompetent in selecting leadership.

the lions have had good people in their front office, jerry vanisi, ron hughes, but they inevitably leave.

And a young assistant coach they let walk....Don Shula.

BTW...I love the idea of Bezos buying the team. Someone who is obsessed with winning would be fantastic.

2 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

But what sense does Bezos make. He hasnt much if any interest in sports and has no ties to detroit.

Its being/been reported he wants a football team.

New car, caviar, four star daydream, think I'll buy me a football team.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.businessinsider.com/jeff-bezos-reportedly-interested-buying-nfl-team-2019-11

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

The Lions would give him one. That might not be a bad thing. The Fords are already as invested in the area as they are ever going to be, a little new money taking an interest in the area could -- potentially at least --   make the Lion's losing a little more economically worthwhile.  🤔

2 hours ago, Sports_Freak said:

And a young assistant coach they let walk....Don Shula.

BTW...I love the idea of Bezos buying the team. Someone who is obsessed with winning would be fantastic.

and bill belicheck

I know the rumor has since been squashed,  but NFL teams do not go on the market often.

Jeff has no way to know if a NY or LA team would ever go on the market in the time window he is looking to buy.

2 hours ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I know the rumor has since been squashed,  but NFL teams do not go on the market often.

Jeff has no way to know if a NY or LA team would ever go on the market in the time window he is looking to buy.

The more I think about it, the more I think Martha should sell if she is going to do right by her children. She has 4 children  and one team is not divisible 4 ways. Even if one wants the team, the other 3 will want their payout and the 4th would have to buy them out, but that will not be easy for the 4th to do given the taxes due at the same time. And the rest of the family certainly can't want WCFs heirs selling the family's preferred rights shares to fund the cost of inheriting the Lions. In your mid 90's it doesn't take much to kill you. You can be in pretty decent condition and a fall with a fracture might still trigger cascading organ failure. If something happens to her while she is sole owner of the team, the potential multiples that disposition of the team become a disorderly process.

Maybe they have a lot of paper somewhere already signed and sealed.

It's called a step-up.

She would still be on the hook for her half of the cap gains tax from the original purchase date to the sell date.  His half would be stepped-up to the date of his death.  So for his half the tax would only be on gains from the day of his death to the sell date.  Her half is still from the original purchase date to the sell date.  Add those together and that is her bill.  

But she must be the co-owner for that to happen.  I don't know how it works if she inherited the entire team.  

6 hours ago, Deleterious said:

But she must be the co-owner for that to happen.  I don't know how it works if she inherited the entire team.  

Yes - that is what I understand as well. Whether the team was jointly owned by the two of them before WCFs death makes difference. I guess because over 50 yrs I never once heard the Lions referred to as being "owned by Bill and Martha Ford" I'm assuming it's more likely than not that it was a sole ownership --but granted that isn't much evidence one way or the other.