AlaskanTigersFan

Is Gardy the right manager for the Detroit Tigers right now?

Is Gardy the right manager for the Detroit Tigers right now?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gardy the right manager for the Detroit Tigers right now?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

No one I know can make chicken salad out of chicken ****. I wouldn't consider any changes until Gardy actually gets players at least good enough to hit the cutoff man and have at least a cursory understanding of the strike zone.

6 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

No one I know can make chicken salad out of chicken ****. I wouldn't consider any changes until Gardy actually gets players at least good enough to hit the cutoff man and have at least a cursory understanding of the strike zone.

You mean he can't teach players the basics? Like, to throw strikes that miss bats? And why doesn't he give the 3rd base coach the sign for the hitter to hit a home run? What a bum! ?

34 minutes ago, HeyAbbott said:

Sure, if he lives long enough to see it.  

1 minute ago, Sports_Freak said:

You mean he can't teach players the basics? Like, to throw strikes that miss bats? And why doesn't he give the 3rd base coach the sign for the hitter to hit a home run? What a bum! ?

He has to have the necessary talent to work with that can do something. There is a serve paucity of talent on the roster and in the farm system. There apparently have been attempts to teach hitting the cutoff man  by some reports. Where has that gotten anyone? One would think such things would have been mastered before they arrive in Detroit. If they cannot handle the basics, why in the **** are they on a Major league roster? Would anyone be able to do more with this team? II doubt that very much.

The real test of this team would be a best of seven series with the Pennant winner of the International League. I'd shudder to think what would happen if such an event were to take place. Maybe Detroit would win, but it would not be pretty.

The team had a dWAR last year of -5.8. Theoretically, one brings their defense with them every day. The total team oWAR was 2.5, with the total war being a minus 3.2 (rounded). These are the 2019 stats from Baseball-reference. com.

Remember, the above numbers include  Nick Castellanous. 

Changing Gardy changes nothing. Better preparation might be very helpful. But ballplayers of a major league status should be better than what we have.

The problem is talent-based, not manager based on the parent club.

Maybe Gardy is gone at some point because the mob will demand a body. It won't matter.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HeyAbbott said:

He has to have the necessary talent to work with that can do something. There is a serve paucity of talent on the roster and in the farm system. There apparently have been attempts to teach hitting the cutoff man  by some reports. Where has that gotten anyone? One would think such things would have been mastered before they arrive in Detroit. If they cannot handle the basics, why in the **** are they on a Major league roster? Would anyone be able to do more with this team? II doubt that very much.

Changing Gardy changes nothing. Better preparation might be very helpful. But ballplayers of a major league status should be better than what we have.

yup - too many bad players. There were a few guys that I thought played sloppy ball sometimes - H. Castro in CF for instance. But some of the few guys who could hit a little were probably insulated from much real pressure because even if they nonchalanted a play or two in the OF there was no reasonable probability the team could replace their bat. And mistakes by guys like Stewart in the field were less than because they weren't trying than that they simply are  not were up to the task. Stewart's throwing was so bad you literally couldn't know if he had been trying to hit the cut-off man.

• Like 1

I can't recall seeing an outfielder with a weaker arm than Stewart. Oddly I had heard much about his defense through the years but never specifically about his arm. There is no way that he becomes an everyday OF in the bigs, imho. DH, maybe 1B, or perhaps Japan. And that is if his bat improves. 

3 hours ago, leflore said:

I can't recall seeing an outfielder with a weaker arm than Stewart. Oddly I had heard much about his defense through the years but never specifically about his arm. There is no way that he becomes an everyday OF in the bigs, imho. DH, maybe 1B, or perhaps Japan. And that is if his bat improves. 

Yeah, I would like to see them try him out at 1B a bit.  Just to see if there's anything to see.

On 12/7/2019 at 3:42 PM, tiger337 said:

unlikely

This is a more accurate answer than a flat "no".

1 hour ago, chasfh said:

This is a more accurate answer than a flat "no".

A statistician never says no or yes.  

7 hours ago, Casimir said:

Yeah, I would like to see them try him out at 1B a bit.  Just to see if there's anything to see.

And, in fairness, maybe they have tried on backfields in Lakeland or wherever and its been ruled out.

Heck, it might just turn out that Stewart doesn't hit enough to worry about anyway.

What exactly does Gardenhire provide that any other manager can't? He's certainly not a developer. He's supposed to be a fundamentals guy but the team was trash at that last year. He isn't the right guy for anything. The game has long passed him by. He was in the right place/time in Minn and had good players for a couple years. That's the sum of his career. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There were times in the last month of the 2019 season that just by the look on his face I  could see he hated being there more than I hated watching these games. And I don’t blame him.

Minnesota probably has a better farm system and they know how to teach fundamentals more than the Tigers do. I think he’s there to manage the game, not to teach players how to wipe their butts, tie their shoes, and zip up their flies.

I think a robot without emotion would probably be the best manager for this team. Gardy is human enough for it to get to him. 
844C36CB-E083-4E67-85FB-8A9EF50A1A50.thumb.png.5d27e56b6cf14514f40209b338a11707.png

53 minutes ago, Yoda said:

What exactly does Gardenhire provide that any other manager can't? He's certainly not a developer. He's supposed to be a fundamentals guy but the team was trash at that last year. He isn't the right guy for anything. The game has long passed him by. He was in the right place/time in Minn and had good players for a couple years. That's the sum of his career. 

Is it a coincidence that Gardy had 90+ loss seasons in his last 4 years in Minnesota, then the very next year after they got rid of him, the Twins finished in 2nd place?  Under Molitor, they finished in 2nd place 3 out of his 4 years with one playoff berth.  Why didn't the Twins reward Gardenhire after their rebuilding?  Why should the Tigers?  

Gardenhire was hired because his baseball worldview is simpatico with that of the front office. It is a worldview firmly rooted in the old school. It's the school of rebuilding circa 1990s. His was a hiring similar to those of Buddy Bell, Phil Garner, and Larry Parrish: hard-nosed baseball lifers tasked with teaching players to Play The Game The Right Way. Hey, the team went to the World Series in 2006, so it must have worked the first time around, right? We did it before, we'll do it again ...

25 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Gardenhire was hired because his baseball worldview is simpatico with that of the front office. It is a worldview firmly rooted in the old school. It's the school of rebuilding circa 1990s. His was a hiring similar to those of Buddy Bell, Phil Garner, and Larry Parrish: hard-nosed baseball lifers tasked with teaching players to Play The Game The Right Way. Hey, the team went to the World Series in 2006, so it must have worked the first time around, right? We did it before, we'll do it again ...

I think Avila hired Gardenhire because he felt sorry for him that no one else was offering him a managerial position.  

1 minute ago, bobrob2004 said:

I think Avila hired Gardenhire because he felt sorry for him that no one else was offering him a managerial position.  

No one is dumb enough to actual think this is true

People project too much from press releases. Gardenhire was hired because he was experienced, available, and would take the job. Reading anything more into what it meant about the org is probably futile.

19 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

You jest, but I do think Al Avila honestly believes that Ron Gardenhire is the right manager to steward the big club through the rebuild, based on his idea of how a baseball rebuild should go.

A lot of front offices, many of them of very good teams, want inexperienced, pliable young managers who will take direction from the front office based on the tendencies they deduce by sifting through the data. They want field managers who are not only very familiar with advanced analytical concepts, but willing and eager to see them through, managers who are perfectly willing to work hand-in-glove with the baseball operations and strategy teams to implement their findings on a gameday basis.

I think Al Avila, and his whole executive team, are the complete opposite. I don't believe they want anything to do with giving gameday direction to field managers. I could see them providing a printout of data to Gardenhire to consult if he wants to, but I couldn't see Al Avila giving Ron Gardenhire direction any more than I could see George Bush giving Dick Cheney direction.

3 hours ago, RatkoVarda said:

No one is dumb enough to actual think this is true

But some are dumb enough to think he's the right manager for us. 

3 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

People project too much from press releases. Gardenhire was hired because he was experienced, available, and would take the job. Reading anything more into what it meant about the org is probably futile.

You forgot "willing to work for cheap."

• Like 1