AlaskanTigersFan

Is Gardy the right manager for the Detroit Tigers right now?

Is Gardy the right manager for the Detroit Tigers right now?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Is Gardy the right manager for the Detroit Tigers right now?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

After talking breifly about this in another thread, I wanted to get the pulse of the masses. I'm of the sound opinion Gardy is the right guy for the job right now. I feel like he hasn't been given much to work with and really hope that the Tigers give him some pieces to show what a good manager he is. I wanted to make a new thread an poll to see what others think. If you vote no, please feel free to leave a comment who else you'd rather see. I've thought about Buck Showalter, Buddy Bell, Bill Larken and a few others. But I really think Gardenhire is the right guy right now. Your thoughts?

I like Gardy but imho you should add one more option "don't really gaf because they suck so bad"

Not really sure whether Gardy is a manager or just somebody with the title of manager.

But for whatever he is .. Gardy is the best 'mustard-on-the-hotdog' for the Tigers right now.

If Gardy was such a good manager, why would he settle on such a lousy team like the Tigers?  Why not go to a team that has a chance to win the World Series?  

10 hours ago, tiger337 said:

I chose unsure, because it doesn't matter who the manager is on this AAA team

I was going to say: if ATF added a "doesn't matter" option (which is different from "unsure") that would be the runaway winner.

8 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

There is no "wrong" manager for the Tigers right now.

Thank you for your confidence in my ability to manage the Tigers.  

2 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

If Gardy was such a good manager, why would he settle on such a lousy team like the Tigers?  Why not go to a team that has a chance to win the World Series?  

He likes the challenge of turning a crap team into a winner.  

1 minute ago, bobrob2004 said:

That's OK, Gardy will clock his time, collect a few million, retire after the season, the Tigers can then bring Clint Hurdle aboard, and we can do the poll all over again.

If Gardy is the right guy why isn't he getting them to play "the right way"?

• Haha 1

Garbage always seems to turn left. Not much Gardy can do about that. I think Gardy has always liked Detroit. I'm sure he knew things were heading into full rebuild, but he probably didn't think the talent would drop this low. The position player roster is one of, if not the worst roster I've ever seen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, leflore said:

Garbage always seems to turn left. Not much Gardy can do about that. I think Gardy has always liked Detroit. I'm sure he knew things were heading into full rebuild, but he probably didn't think the talent would drop this low. The position player roster is one of, if not the worst roster I've ever seen

How do we know that Gardy isn't part of the problem on why the team is so bad?  I mean, everyone says they didn't think it would be this bad.  Maybe because Gardy is making the team worse than they should be.

43 minutes ago, bobrob2004 said:

How do we know that Gardy isn't part of the problem on why the team is so bad?  I mean, everyone says they didn't think it would be this bad.  Maybe because Gardy is making the team worse than they should be.

No

There is only one scenario in which I could accept that Gardenhire is detrimental to the team, and that would be if his hitting concepts are really at odds with what the teams quantitative guys are saying and the players are caught in the middle, but I haven't seen a shred of any indication that is true. The main things a manager has to due is maintain a functioning clubhouse, but primarily manage pitchers and I think Gardenhire has done fine with that - certainly light years ahead of Ausmus.

Actually - -the phrase about "least of their problems" comes to mind...

10 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I think Gardenhire has done fine with that - certainly light years ahead of Ausmus.

A garden hose would be light years ahead of Ausmus.