Sign in to follow this  
holygoat

What really happened to Bobby Jenks

This article by Bobby Jenks on the injury -- and botched surgery -- that lead to both the end of his career and the beginning of his addiction to pain pills is crazy. "Concurrent surgeries" is a practice I'd never heard of, and it's hard to believe it's legal.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/bobby-jenks-baseball-scar-tissue

Wow. What a story. I'm not going to lie, I despised him because he was a White Sox and was so good. It's nice to have him humanized like this in such a sad story. Like you @holygoat I cannot believe concurrent surgeries is a thing and is legal.

7 hours ago, holygoat said:

This article by Bobby Jenks on the injury -- and botched surgery -- that lead to both the end of his career and the beginning of his addiction to pain pills is crazy. "Concurrent surgeries" is a practice I'd never heard of, and it's hard to believe it's legal.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/en-us/articles/bobby-jenks-baseball-scar-tissue

I heard about concurrent surgeries for the first time a couple of years ago.  It is legal and not uncommon.  It is a disgusting practice and definitely should be illegal.  

Concurrent surgeries?  Seems like something the "adults in charge" should be addressing.

"When I got back to the house, it was like a wave hit me. All of a sudden, my head felt like it was split wide open. Like someone had put a coconut in a vice and cracked it.

It felt like my head was going to blow up and separate from my body."

Been there, done that!  Years ago I had a herniated disk in my back.  I got a shot to try and deaden the pain (which didn't work) but the shot punctured my spinal column... no big deal, it would have healed up on it's own.  A week or two later I went in for surgery and the doc had to shave off part of vertebrae get at the disk to push it back in place... also no big deal.

EXCEPT... the very spot of bone that was removed was right over the spot where the needle hit my column... without the bone applying pressure on the puncture it didn't heal right and about a week after surgery it popped open.  Now, I wasn't leaking out of my body like Jenks was, but it was pooling up in my lower back.  And the headache he's describing is just beyond agonizing.  Just shockingly painful and throbbing.

Now, I was never in life or death danger, fortunately, but yeah... that's a pain that it just amazingly powerful.

I just came to see if anyone posted about Chris Sale needing Tommy John surgery and came across this. My god, the ordeal he went through! And, IMO, he's very brave telling this story. Not a real good story to read right before dinner though.