kdog

December regular season thread

I watched around 1/3 of tonight's game and it was the most boring game I can remember watching. The Leafs must have felt that expending energy for 10 minutes would be sufficient to win. And of course they were right. 4-1 final.

42 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

The Wings' season in a nutshell

****er should be suspended for that. He has a history with the league. Clear violation- should have been a match penalty. 

Rule 52. Slew-footing 

52.1 Slew-footing - Slew-footing is the act of a player or goalkeeper using his leg or foot to knock or kick an opponent's feet from under him, or pushes an opponent's upper body backward with an arm or elbow, and at the same time with a forward motion of his leg, knocks or kicks the opponent's feet from under him, causing him to fall violently to the ice.

52.2 Match Penalty - Any player or goalkeeper who is guilty of slew-footing shall be assessed a match penalty.

52.3 Fines and Suspensions - There are no specified fines or suspensions for roughing, however, supplementary discipline can be applied by the Commissioner at his discretion (refer to Rule 28).

Wings lose at home to Arizona 5-2.  Zadina and Bertuzzi with the goals, both late.

So today I didn't watch a second of either the Lions game or the Wings game. Is there a Pistons game I can miss too?

This is the worst team in the league and it’s not really that close.   It very well may end up as one of the worst in recent NHL history.  

I think they are at least 4 years away from playoff contention and that is giving credit to Stevie Y’s ability to pick players.  

55 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

This is the worst team in the league and it’s not really that close.   It very well may end up as one of the worst in recent NHL history.  

I think they are at least 4 years away from playoff contention and that is giving credit to Stevie Y’s ability to pick players.  

You may well be right, but Yzerman or not that's a very depressing situation.

This will be the 4th year without the playoffs. You're talking 7 or 8 years without a playoff spot. That would be terrible. Does any team in the NHL have a current drought that long?*

FWIW, I think they'll be competing for a playoff spot by the 2021-2022 season.

* Just checked. Buffalo at 8 years now, Arizona at 7. Vancouver at 4. Detroit at 3 is already tied with Florida for 4th longest.

The World Juniors start on Thursday...any one of the top 4-5 draft picks will be playing.

43 minutes ago, kdog said:

The World Juniors start on Thursday...any one of the top 4-5 draft picks will be playing.

Joe Veleno will most likely wear the C and and center Canada’s top line with Alexis Lafreniere.   Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come for the Wings.   

McIsaac was also on their top D pairing in the pre tournament games.   

4 hours ago, Hongbit said:

Joe Veleno will most likely wear the C and and center Canada’s top line with Alexis Lafreniere.   Hopefully it’s a sign of things to come for the Wings.   

McIsaac was also on their top D pairing in the pre tournament games.   

Took this from someone on HFBoards:

Jared McIsaac - CAN - Top defensive pair
Joe Veleno - CAN - Top6 forward either with Lafreniere or Byfield
Jonatan Berggren - SWE - Swedish top line winger with Gustafsson and Fagemo
Jesper Eliasson - SWE - backup goalie, should get some easier games, or starter role if starter Alnefelt fails.
Moritz Seider - GER - Team Captain and 1st defenceman playing in all situations and probably more.

Possible 2020 draftees:
- LW Alexis Lafreniere, CAN
- C Quinton Byfield, CAN
- RW Lucas Raymond, SWE
- W Alexander Holtz, SWE
- C Anton Lundell, FIN (rumour that could be healthy, elbow injury, has been skating a lot on last month and is in good game shape, just waiting a permit from doctors)
- G Jaroslav Askarov, RUS
- LW Tim Stutzle, GER
- RD Jamie Drysdale, CAN

A few more points illustrating how staggeringly bad the Wings are through 38 games:

- 15 points behind the Ottawa Senators

- Vancouver has twice as many points as the Wings

- The Wings are 25 points behind the 2nd wildcard spot in the Eastern Conference

It's funny that Ilitch and Holland dreaded this kind of season...Yzerman is steering right into it. It was really inevitable after the Nielsen, Helm offseason. And the drafting that was universally praised hasn't yielded much either. I think Holland might have tried to sign more free agents to patch holes thinking this roster was close to the wildcard.

This team is early 80's bad.  About as had as I've seen in Detroit.

Other than Larkin, Fabbri, Bert and Zadina...I wouldn't shed a tear over losing any of the forwards.  AA is way too streaky and Mantha can't stay on the ice.  Can't deal them now as their value is rock bottom...but down the line?  Yes

51 minutes ago, Lei Pong said:

This team is early 80's bad.  About as had as I've seen in Detroit.

Other than Larkin, Fabbri, Bert and Zadina...I wouldn't shed a tear over losing any of the forwards.  AA is way too streaky and Mantha can't stay on the ice.  Can't deal them now as their value is rock bottom...but down the line?  Yes

I'd trade anyone including Larkin if you got good value.

I was discussing things with a Canucks fans who told me that he wouldn't trade Quinn Hughes for Jack Hughes because Quinn (with 3 career NHL goals) has already proven himself. !!!

Keep Larkin, Bert and Fabbri....thats a good second line.  Zadina..2020 first and 2021 first are your top line....

With our luck...we'll finish in the cellar by nine miles and still get the 4th pick

Veleno with an assist on future teammate Alexis Lafreniere's goal. Canada beats USA 6-4.