Motor City Sonics

Are you rooting for the Bears on Thursday?

Seems not many people watched a lot of Purdue football the last few years.  

There is a reason Blough went undrafted.  

50 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Last I checked, your boy Patricia is 0-4 against the Bears.

And the Lions were officially the first team eliminated from the NFC playoff race.

Last I checked, Patricia is not my boy. I've literally gone on record saying he should be fired immediately. I never wanted Caldwell fired in the first place. 

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

how many times has the defensive genius' defense lost the game because they couldnt stop they other team in the 4th quarter?  packers?  cowboys?  bears?  chiefs?  cardinals?

theyve had the lead in every game this year.  heck, theyve had a chance to win a lot of them but the defense just cant stop the other team when it needs to.

how can people not fault patricia for that?  or is it quinn because they dont have the talent?  or it both of them?

This may come as a surprise to most, but I put a lot of emphasis on coaching. 

I think the defense has enough talent. I think the current scheme is one of the worst I’ve ever seen.  

This is sort of deja vu for me.  For the past season I have been screaming that the maple leafs have plenty of talent, but mike Babcock was holding them back.  People were split, some thought talent, some thought coaching.  Leafs had lost 6 straight then fired Babcock.  Since then they have won 3 in a row and have changed their system entirely.   Instead of dump and chase, emphasis is on puck possession. 

I feel the same about the lions defense.   The scheme hasn’t changed, there is no point to drop more in coverage if you can’t create any pressure with 3 or 4 man rush.   Some of the comments by lions players are very similar to what leafs players were saying before Babcock got the boot.   Patricia doesn’t know how to coach a good defense.  It’s now apparent he was good at following belichicks orders. 

18 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

This may come as a surprise to most, but I put a lot of emphasis on coaching. 

I think the defense has enough talent. I think the current scheme is one of the worst I’ve ever seen.  

This is sort of deja vu for me.  For the past season I have been screaming that the maple leafs have plenty of talent, but mike Babcock was holding them back.  People were split, some thought talent, some thought coaching.  Leafs had lost 6 straight then fired Babcock.  Since then they have won 3 in a row and have changed their system entirely.   Instead of dump and chase, emphasis is on puck possession. 

I feel the same about the lions defense.   The scheme hasn’t changed, there is no point to drop more in coverage if you can’t create any pressure with 3 or 4 man rush.   Some of the comments by lions players are very similar to what leafs players were saying before Babcock got the boot.   Patricia doesn’t know how to coach a good defense.  It’s now apparent he was good at following belichicks orders. 

Spend gobs of money on a defensive line - then rush 3 and almost never blitz.   An NFL QB with time will carve up just about any defense.   Even one as bad as Mitchell Trubisky or Dwayne Haskins.   If Jameis Winston doesn't go full Jameis and turn the ball over next Sunday,  he's going to shred the Lions.      Dak Prescott got 444 yards vs. the Lions -  look how he played yesterday against the Bills.    It's disgusting and it's all on Patricia.   It's 12:45pm and 9 days until the next game - how is he still employed?  

40 minutes ago, Buddha said:

how many times has the defensive genius' defense lost the game because they couldnt stop they other team in the 4th quarter?  packers?  cowboys?  bears?  chiefs?  cardinals?

theyve had the lead in every game this year.  heck, theyve had a chance to win a lot of them but the defense just cant stop the other team when it needs to.

how can people not fault patricia for that?  or is it quinn because they dont have the talent?  or it both of them?

"Both" is good.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

Sure seems to be a pattern with him. I remember wondering exactly that during Seattle's final drive against Patricia's defense in the 2015 Super Bowl. What is Patricia doing? Wilson is getting everything he wants. Seattle is making this look easy. The Pats look helpless on defense. Wilson and Lynch are going to take this thing down the field and win it. (If Malcolm Butler hadn't bailed Patricia out at the end, we all know they should've lost.)

The Eagles put up 41 points and 538 yards on Patricia in the Pat's 2018 Super Bowl loss – another game Patricia couldn't stop the offense from scoring a late 4th quarter touchdown. The very next day he's hired by Quinn. And his Lions can't stop teams in the 4th quarter. This whole mess is so Lions

29 minutes ago, number20 said:

Sure seems to be a pattern with him. I remember wondering exactly that during Seattle's final drive against Patricia's defense in the 2015 Super Bowl. What is Patricia doing? Wilson is getting everything he wants. Seattle is making this look easy. The Pats look helpless on defense. Wilson and Lynch are going to take this thing down the field and win it. (If Malcolm Butler hadn't bailed Patricia out at the end, we all know they should've lost.)

The Eagles put up 41 points and 538 yards on Patricia in the Pat's 2018 Super Bowl loss – another game Patricia couldn't stop the offense from scoring a late 4th quarter touchdown. The very next day he's hired by Quinn. And his Lions can't stop teams in the 4th quarter. This whole mess is so Lions

its funny that you bring that up, but the pats last year were based on defense and this year they have an historically great defense.

which all happened right after patricia left...

14 minutes ago, Buddha said:

its funny that you bring that up, but the pats last year were based on defense and this year they have an historically great defense.

which all happened right after patricia left...

Maybe the Lions should fire Patricia and hire New England's defensive coordinator as HC. Try something different for a change.

Would this be considered a 'bold move'?

Just now, number20 said:

Maybe the Lions should fire Patricia and hire New England's defensive coordinator as HC. Try something different for a change.

Would this be considered a 'bold move'?

if history has shown us anything, its that whomever the lions hire will be the wrong guy.

5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

if history has shown us anything, its that whomever the lions hire will be the wrong guy.

Given Quinn’s deep personnel and scouting experience with the Patriot’s organization (hard to deny his role in that team’s success over the years), you’d think he’d be able to draft better than he has. Even the right guy ends up the wrong guy in this cursed franchise. Quinn’s been completely Lionized

12 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Has anybody that worked under Belichick in NE turn out to be a good Head Coach?   

Bill O'Brien and Mike Vrabel come to mind. 

30 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

Has anybody that worked under Belichick in NE turn out to be a good Head Coach?   

Belichick may only technically wear one hat in the Pat's organization, but if he is really such a great football mind (or at least really good at cheating without getting caught - I'll accept either premise) his inputs across the organization may well be helping every one in the org do a better job than they could have working somewhere else. It's hard to evaluate the skill of anyone who works in an org where they only have to implement other peoples' good ideas.

3 hours ago, number20 said:

The decision to hire Patricia was made before that Supet Bowl. It sure had me wondering if he was the answer. I guess we all know the answer now.  At least, most of us.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Bill O'Brien and Mike Vrabel come to mind. 

Really?   What has either one of them accomplished?      Bill O'Brien is about the level of Jim Caldwell.   He makes the playoffs every other year and does nothing once he gets there.  0 playoff wins -- and he's had some star players on his team.   Mike Vrabel is 9-7 and 6-5 -- not exactly a huge success so far.   

2 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Really?   What has either one of them accomplished?      Bill O'Brien is about the level of Jim Caldwell.   He makes the playoffs every other year and does nothing once he gets there.  0 playoff wins -- and he's had some star players on his team.   Mike Vrabel is 9-7 and 6-5 -- not exactly a huge success so far.   

Did you see the flotsam of QBs he made the playoffs with prior to drafting Watson? People here are enamoured because the Bears traded away a bunch of picks for one playoff loss and yet complain about a coach who has 4 winning seasons in 5 years and made the plays 3 times and doing this with backup QBs, and BTW, O'Brien has won a playoff game but it was against Connor Cook so he doesn't get credit. For the record, I think Caldwell is a good coach and would love to have him back. 

12 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Did you see the flotsam of QBs he made the playoffs with prior to drafting Watson? People here are enamoured because the Bears traded away a bunch of picks for one playoff loss and yet complain about a coach who has 4 winning seasons in 5 years and made the plays 3 times and doing this with backup QBs, and BTW, O'Brien has won a playoff game but it was against Connor Cook so he doesn't get credit. For the record, I think Caldwell is a good coach and would love to have him back. 

But O'Brien has a ceiling and that's getting to the playoffs and losing.   We've been there.   I don't think Belichick's coaching tree has produced much.  I don't want anything to do with it.   This Patriot Way thing is a myth.    You can't do what Bill has done if you don't have Bill's history behind it........and who knows how successful he would have been if he wasn't lucky enough to have Drew Bledsoe get hurt.      Bill wasn't doing things the Patriot Way until he had some success behind him.   The Lions and The Texans have none of that - so it doesn't translate verbatim. 

I would prefer O'Brien over Patricia, but I don't want either one of them.   

3 hours ago, number20 said:

Given Quinn’s deep personnel and scouting experience with the Patriot’s organization (hard to deny his role in that team’s success over the years), you’d think he’d be able to draft better than he has. Even the right guy ends up the wrong guy in this cursed franchise. Quinn’s been completely Lionized

We actually have no idea how he contributed to the Patriots success.  Sometime people are just complementary pieces.  That would also explain why he drafts so poorly.

But O'Brien has a ceiling and that's getting to the playoffs and losing.   We've been there.   I don't think Belichick's coaching tree has produced much.  I don't want anything to do with it.   This Patriot Way thing is a myth.    You can't do what Bill has done if you don't have Bill's history behind it........and who knows how successful he would have been if he wasn't lucky enough to have Drew Bledsoe get hurt.      Bill wasn't doing things the Patriot Way until he had some success behind him.   The Lions and The Texans have none of that - so it doesn't translate verbatim. 

I would prefer O'Brien over Patricia, but I don't want either one of them.   

How is that his ceiling? The fact that he made the playoffs with 2nd and 3rd string QBs is pretty remarkable. Bill Belichick was 1-1 in the playoffs in 5 seasons with Cleveland. Pete Carroll was 1-1 in the playoffs with New England. Gary Kubiak only made the playoffs twice in eight seasons in Houston. The unproven coordinator on this year's trendy team always has limitless potential.

What happened to wanting to hire all the Rams assistants? Are they no longer the flavor of the month?

There’s no method to better the odds at picking a successful NFL head coach.  It’s a roulette spin and you only get to bet once.  

See, that whole QB thing is just an excuse.  He had great defensive players at that time.   You don't need a great QB to get to the Super Bowl or an Conference Championship (Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco anyone?)     This is going to be the excuse for Patricia and Quinn "We didn't have Stafford", but they haven't lost because of David Blough or Jeff Driskell.  They have both played well enough to win the games they were in - even Driskell's subpar game in DC was good enough to win. 

Just now, Hongbit said:

There’s no method to better the odds at picking a successful NFL head coach.  It’s a roulette spin.   

But knowing when it isn't working is not.    This isn't working.      Other teams have had the stones to cut bait after just a year and they are better off for it.     The biggest thing is that Qunn told us 9-7 isn't good enough and they've been 9-18-1 since.    When they were 9-7 a couple of years ago they were probably a couple of good drafts away from being really good, but nope, Quinn and Brutus had to do things The Patriot Way and reshape the roster.   Trading a guy like Diggs because he publicly questioned the defensive strategy..............just stupid, stupid, stupid.   

See, that whole QB thing is just an excuse.  He had great defensive players at that time.   You don't need a great QB to get to the Super Bowl or an Conference Championship (Rex Grossman, Jay Cutler, Joe Flacco anyone?)     This is going to be the excuse for Patricia and Quinn "We didn't have Stafford", but they haven't lost because of David Blough or Jeff Driskell.  They have both played well enough to win the games they were in - even Driskell's subpar game in DC was good enough to win. 

Jay Cutler and Joe Flacco are better than the QBs the Texans had before Watson. This is getting pretty ridiculous. Houston's defenses were 8th and 9th when they made the playoffs with backup QBs. Good but not elite defenses that can carry a team without competent QB play. 

6 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

There’s no method to better the odds at picking a successful NFL head coach.  It’s a roulette spin.   

Yup. This is why I hate going after the assistants from trendy teams. Who's to say there isn't a great head coach currently on the Bengals staff? Maybe he's being ignored and not getting attention because the Bengals are bad. 

3 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

But knowing when it isn't working is not.    This isn't working.      Other teams have had the stones to cut bait after just a year and they are better off for it.     The biggest thing is that Qunn told us 9-7 isn't good enough and they've been 9-18-1 since.    When they were 9-7 a couple of years ago they were probably a couple of good drafts away from being really good, but nope, Quinn and Brutus had to do things The Patriot Way and reshape the roster.   Trading a guy like Diggs because he publicly questioned the defensive strategy..............just stupid, stupid, stupid.   

I think there is more to it on the Diggs trade. Slay has publicly questioned the team and they refused to trade him.