Motor City Sonics

Are you rooting for the Bears on Thursday?

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

It just didn't make sense why you would trade for the former GM as well but this is your thing. 

Because he's former GM as of the end of last season (you know, the guy who drafted Lamar) and is likely still involved with the Ravens.  Once again, classic MB pretending to not actually understand the point to deflect.

6 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I wonder how many times Baltimore traded multiple first round picks for a pass rusher? 

You don't need to when you draft good players.  Of course that requires good personnel people.  Interestingly, one of the worst Ravens 1st round picks in recent memory is a TE.  And they had the sense to waste a late 1st on him!\

EDIT: And they took a second one in the 3rd round that same year who is actually really good.

5 minutes ago, sagnam said:

Because he's former GM as of the end of last season (you know, the guy who drafted Lamar) and is likely still involved with the Ravens.  Once again, classic MB pretending to not actually understand the point to deflect.

Ozzie Newsome is also the same GM who made Flacco the highest QB at the time. I'm not sure what you think I'm trying to deflect. I would gladly fire Quinn in favor of Newsome. He doesn't trade multiple picks just to be bold. 

Just in case you need help

https://www.baltimoreravens.com/news/in-his-new-role-ozzie-newsome-still-has-butterflies-before-the-draft

In his new role, Newsome remains an integral part of the team’s front office though he stepped aside as general manager in January. He remains a friend, advisor, and confidant for General Manager Eric DeCosta.

5 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Ozzie Newsome is also the same GM who made Flacco the highest QB at the time. I'm not sure what you think I'm trying to deflect. I would gladly fire Quinn in favor of Newsome. He doesn't trade multiple picks just to be bold. 

You mean the Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco?  Yeah, in terms of mistakes that's somewhere between drafting 2 bad Florida players in the first 2 rounds of the same draft and re-signing Christian Jones.

EDIT: Oh, and there is that "bold" thing you pulled out of someone else's post a while ago and have been beating to death since.

4 minutes ago, sagnam said:

You mean the Super Bowl MVP Joe Flacco?  Yeah, in terms of mistakes that's somewhere between drafting 2 bad Florida players in the first 2 rounds of the same draft and re-signing Christian Jones.

The Ravens won only one playoff game after he signed that contract despite having good defenses and was even benched for another playoff game. 

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

The Ravens won only one playoff game after he signed that contract despite having good defenses and was even benched for another playoff game. 

That's still one more than the Lions have won in forever.  Also, that same QB had won a playoff game every year since getting drafted.  At least Newsome extended him after he played well.  Look, nobody would argue it wasn't a mistake but that kind of stuff happens and yet Newsome also drafted a RB/WR/QB while they still had that "franchise QB".

lol.  now the ravens arent good enough for lions fans.  

you'd think the lions were actually good or something.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

If you read what I posted, I stated I would fire Quinn for Newsome. Speaking of Baltimore, look at the last game. The Rams traded multiple firsts for Ramsey and got thrashed. They now have no assets to improve their roster because they won't have a first in about 5 years. At least it was bold.

3 hours ago, Buddha said:

Lions "fan"... singular. I doubt that anybody but MB is buying the propaganda that he's preaching outside of TP probably.

Poking fun at a Superbowl winning GM and another franchise that made the Superbowl last year is a bit odd to say the least.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

If you read what I posted, I stated I would fire Quinn for Newsome. Speaking of Baltimore, look at the last game. The Rams traded multiple firsts for Ramsey and got thrashed. They now have no assets to improve their roster because they won't have a first in about 5 years. At least it was bold.

12 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Lions "fan"... singular. I doubt that anybody but MB is buying the propaganda that he's preaching outside of TP probably.

Poking fun at a Superbowl winning GM and another franchise that made the Superbowl last year is a bit odd to say the least.

Here, I'll quote once again what I said, but for ****s and giggles, are you saying the Joe Flacco contract was a good contract?

Matt Patricia talks in circles, never answers a question and thinks we are all stupid.  I hate him.    Go back to terrorizing Olive Oil and getting beat up by Popeye,  Brutus.   

22 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Matt Patricia talks in circles, never answers a question and thinks we are all stupid.  I hate him.    Go back to terrorizing Olive Oil and getting beat up by Popeye,  Brutus.   

That would be Olive Oyl, my friend.

Brutus fits - good one, but I'm sort of partial to Jabba the Hutt myself

5 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Here, I'll quote once again what I said, but for ****s and giggles, are you saying the Joe Flacco contract was a good contract?

Of course not but that GM also won a Super Bowl with that same QB. 

Even the Bears, despite how overrated they were going into this season, did more last season than the Lions have in 26 years so their gamble paid off more than anything a Lions GM has done in 3 decades. Throwing stones from glass houses and all that.

Not sure why people bring up the Lions history when people criticize outsiders, we all know that the Lions have sucked but what they did in the past shouldn't effect what we want to do in the future.  We shouldn't aim to just get somebody better than what we did.

Here's an analogy, around the time Joe Dumars was fired the Clippers had done nothing in the NBA.  I believe at that point they won like 1 playoff series in their history, meanwhile Dumars was a GM over an NBA Champion, and team that went to 6 straight ECF.   If Clippers fans didn't want to hire him in 2011(or whatever year he left here) would they be stupid?  I mean after all Dumars accomplished far more than anything that franchise ever did.   

18 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I wish I trusted something as much as Patricia trust his process.

15 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

Not sure why people bring up the Lions history when people criticize outsiders, we all know that the Lions have sucked but what they did in the past shouldn't effect what we want to do in the future.  We shouldn't aim to just get somebody better than what we did.

Here's an analogy, around the time Joe Dumars was fired the Clippers had done nothing in the NBA.  I believe at that point they won like 1 playoff series in their history, meanwhile Dumars was a GM over an NBA Champion, and team that went to 6 straight ECF.   If Clippers fans didn't want to hire him in 2011(or whatever year he left here) would they be stupid?  I mean after all Dumars accomplished far more than anything that franchise ever did.   

its not to criticize outsiders, its to put things in perspective.  there has been support for bob quinn not making moves like the bears did last year to get mack and then poo pooing their 12-4 season as just luck.  well, if you know the history of the lions wouldnt you like to have a season like that?

or the rams going to the super bowl but not having first round picks.  they went to the damn super bowl who cares about picks?

people seem pretty cavalier about other teams making mistakes and getting lucky when the lions have never won the nfc north and only won one playoff game.

• Like 1

If there's one thing the Lions have proven over the years, it's that they can't be shamed into success. If road playoff losses in the '90s, Barry's retirement, 0-16, and Calvin's retirement weren't sufficient wake-up calls, I don't expect one measly loss at home to the Bears on Thanksgiving to change that.

the thing about discussing the GM is that we don't know what deals he has walked away from, which players were drastically mis-rated on his draft boards, etc., so it's hard to make any kind of detailed case that he should be fired for this or that move/non-move. But after 4 yrs that no longer matters. The mechanics of how he got the team to where it is doesn't matter, the facts speak for themselves that he was given a middling team and has made it a bad one and he didn't even have to find a QB.

We know he drastically misrated Teez Tabor because he told us so. Quinn said "I probably watched more film on him than any prospect that I could ever remember watching film on."

6 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

We know he drastically misrated Teez Tabor because he told us so. Quinn said "I probably watched more film on him than any prospect that I could ever remember watching film on."

All of us except one hated that pick.