Sign in to follow this  
Casimir

11/23/2019 8:30 EST Detroit Pistons at Milwaukee Bucks

11/23/2019 8:30 EST from Milwaukee, Wisconsin...

DET-2020.png  MIL-2020.png

Detroit Pistons (5-10) at Milwaukee Bucks (12-3)

I would love a playoff with no conference affiliation.  Big fan of that.

The in-season tournament?  Why?  

They mention European soccer in-season tournaments.  But aren't those the entire continent and not just teams from the same league playing each other?  Seems dumb to have an in-season tournament and a finals if the in-season tournament doesn't include some different teams somehow.  

50 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

I would love a playoff with no conference affiliation.  Big fan of that.

The in-season tournament?  Why?  

They mention European soccer in-season tournaments.  But aren't those the entire continent and not just teams from the same league playing each other?  Seems dumb to have an in-season tournament and a finals if the in-season tournament doesn't include some different teams somehow.  

each country has its own inter-season cup competitions (one game elimination tournaments).  england has two of them: fa cup and carabao cup.  the nba's proposal would be akin to these competitions.

that's in addition to the european-wide competitions between the top teams from the season before like the champions league and europa league.

OK.  

I don't understand the appeal of a tournament at Thanksgiving.  I'm probably in the minority on that.

Tanking is probably the best route for them anyway with KD out.  Get a cheap and talented player for next year.  They owe Atlanta their #1 pick but its lottery protected this year.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Tanking is probably the best route for them anyway with KD out.  Get a cheap and talented player for next year.  They owe Atlanta their #1 pick but its lottery protected this year.

no kd and no irving and theyre still better than the pistons.

13 hours ago, Deleterious said:

OK.  

I don't understand the appeal of a tournament at Thanksgiving.  I'm probably in the minority on that.

I don't understand it either.  It seems contrary to the theory of players saving themselves for the real playoffs.  Frankly I find it ridiculous.

I like the idea of seeding based on overall rather than geography.  I know it isn't quite what is on the table.  But I don't see any reason to arrange teams in conferences anymore.  Maybe divisions to cut down on some travel.  Maybe you rearrange into 5 divisions of 6 teams, or maybe even 3 of 10.  Play home and homes against every team outside of the division (therefore a team like Detroit can still offer its fans a chance to see a star play), and then more within the division to fill out the schedule.

I don't understand going from 82 games to 78.  Doesn't seem like much of a concession.  But then I also don't blame owners,.... uhm, excuse me, governors, from offering up something ridiculous like 60 games without economic concessions from players.

Maybe we're going about this all wrong.

As Pistons fans we should embrace any tournament that allows all 30 teams in.  Next is designing a tournament that guarantees one win.

37 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

As Pistons fans we should embrace any tournament that allows all 30 teams in.  Next is designing a tournament that guarantees one win.

Can't wait for the "tournament participant" banner.

Since you brought up banners.  When do we retire Gores number?

They retired Bill Davidson with "Mr. D"  Daly with the number 2 for titles he won.  And McCloskey with "GM".  

Those are three giants of the organization and Gores obviously belongs next to them.  I'm thinking "8 Ball" or "Fifth" for his banner number.

2 hours ago, Deleterious said:

If we're doing this silly soccer thing, how about relegation to the G league?

17 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Since you brought up banners.  When do we retire Gores number?

They retired Bill Davidson with "Mr. D"  Daly with the number 2 for titles he won.  And McCloskey with "GM".  

Those are three giants of the organization and Gores obviously belongs next to them.  I'm thinking "8 Ball" or "Fifth" for his banner number.

I was thinking 0.08 because that's probably his minimum at any particular moment.

40 minutes ago, Casimir said:

If we're doing this silly soccer thing, how about relegation to the G league?

Not sure the NBA has that authority.  But I'm all for regulating soccer to the G-League.  

if american sports become more dependent upon international money, i wonder if they'll start adopting some of their sporting traditions?  like cup tournaments?

you know, instead of doing what they do now and just forbidding anyone to criticize their murderous governments?

has steve kerr checked with his brother in law about china yet?  just wondering.

cup tournaments in europe have the same sort of mystique as the ncaa tournament here: underdogs getting their shot at the big teams.  not sure how that will play here.

if they did implement it here, i could see nba teams not taking it seriously, sitting all their stars for those games and letting a g league roster play them.  im not sure it will have the desired effect.

It isn't adopting a tradition, but it's definitely catering to the international crowd.  And that is the 3:30PM game on Sunday afternoon during football season.  Usually just one game, big teams or a star foreign player.  

This week they have two Texas teams tipping off 30 minutes before the Cowboys kickoff.  But that puts the game on in Europe at 8:30 at night so they can watch Luka, Porzingis, and Harden in primetime.  

1 hour ago, Deleterious said:

It isn't adopting a tradition, but it's definitely catering to the international crowd.  And that is the 3:30PM game on Sunday afternoon during football season.  Usually just one game, big teams or a star foreign player.  

This week they have two Texas teams tipping off 30 minutes before the Cowboys kickoff.  But that puts the game on in Europe at 8:30 at night so they can watch Luka, Porzingis, and Harden in primetime.  

european leagues are doing the same thing.  putting some prime games on early in the morning in europe so it can be seen in prime time in china.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

european leagues are doing the same thing.  putting some prime games on early in the morning in europe so it can be seen in prime time in china.

Makes sense.

Just now, Deleterious said:

Makes sense.

there are a whole bunch of teams straight up sponsored by chinese companies.

like how the rockets used to have a bunch of ads in chinese until daryl morey ****** it all up?

This kid is stupid good.

He isn't a very good shooter yet.  32% from three last year, 34% this year.  Turns it over a bit much and needs to get better on D.  Not saying this to nitpick.  I'm saying it because he's having an MVP type season and there is a lot of room to improve still.

Beat Houston tonight 137-123.