AlaskanTigersFan

Detroit Tigers Rule 5 Draft

1 hour ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

What assumptions are you talking about?

The point of my post is specifically that no assumptions can be made.

You can believe that he cannot sign a quality free agent, or trade for a quality player, or that he'll turn into Randy Smith...

Those are all assumptions. I don't have any beliefs about AA whatsoever. Except that we'll find out what he can, or cannot do, over the next few years. If I believe anything, it's that Ilitch will see this thing through with AA to see what exactly AA can create. I'm guessing that will be roughly the next three years to find out whether AA can, or cannot build, a contending team. But that's just a guess.

Agreed. What we know is that Chris has now known Al for a long time. What we can assume is that he has well formed opinions about Al's abilities and plans, and likewise I would assume he also has criteria by which he is judging what Al is doing. In the end team success always comes down to either the competence -- or luck -- of ownership in hiring their front office management. The Tigers will get better as fast as Ilitch's judgments about or moves wrt his GM turn out to be correct.

10 hours ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

What assumptions are you talking about?

The point of my post is specifically that no assumptions can be made.

You can believe that he cannot sign a quality free agent, or trade for a quality player, or that he'll turn into Randy Smith...

Those are all assumptions. I don't have any beliefs about AA whatsoever. Except that we'll find out what he can, or cannot do, over the next few years. If I believe anything, it's that Ilitch will see this thing through with AA to see what exactly AA can create. I'm guessing that will be roughly the next three years to find out whether AA can, or cannot build, a contending team. But that's just a guess.

Where have you been the last few years?  Plenty of data points to formulate an opinion on his competence 

2 hours ago, Tenacious D said:

... Plenty of data points to formulate an opinion on his competence 

Which data points? The ones where age/ injuries stripped this team of any chance to compete, and therefore AA had to strip this team down in a rebuild? The ones where AA has rebuilt this farm system with a boatload of high-end pitching prospects and "maybe" some position prospects. The ones where it is too premature to judge whether any of our drafted prospects will make or break in MLB. And too premature to evaluate the prospect returns he received in sell-off trades (in a subpar market for prospect returns).

None of these tell me whether AA is capable, or not, of building a championship team.

I see no data point, observation, opinion, or assumption... that isn't a premature conclusion at this point.

And I know his history of subpar FA signings (in a last gasp Ilitch directive to compete for one more year/ title...) that AA made... but those were not for a realistically playoff caliber team (using 20/20 hindsight, of course...).

I'm on the same page as G2, just above, BTW.