AlaskanTigersFan

Detroit Tigers Rule 5 Draft

56 minutes ago, Tenacious D said:

I’d rather see him get starts vs Zimmerman.  See what he can do before calling up Mize, etc...

In McCosky's last web cast he was carrying on about what a trooper good teammate Zimmermann has been trying to pitch through all his serious back issues. It's wonderful that he is a noble guy, I'd be just as happy if he were a little less noble but safely retired. Better for him and Tigers.

2 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Garcia looks like someone who could develop into the Tigers fat reliever.  

They've struggled to fill that spot lately.  Have they had one since Joba Chamberlain?

Rondon held the fat reliever spot down briefly and Jimenez is a couple weeks of Miggy's diet away from being there too.  

3 hours ago, Charles Liston said:

They've struggled to fill that spot lately.  Have they had one since Joba Chamberlain?

we really missed out when franklyn german flamed out.

MLB Pipeline puts him at 21, between A Castro and B Garcia

Scouting grades: Fastball: 55 | Curveball: 55 | Cutter: 50 | Changeup: 40 | Control: 45 | Overall: 45

Signed by the Yankees in July 2015, Garcia made a slow but steady climb through New York's system, making his full-season debut in '17. The Dominican right-hander began to turn the developmental corner the following year while reaching Class A Advanced Tampa, then showed improved stuff in 2019 while playing most of the season as a 21-year-old in the Double-A Eastern League, where he twice was named the circuit's Pitcher of the Week. The uptick in Garcia's stuff fueled his improved strikeout rate and overall effectiveness, and the Tigers, believing that he has even more untapped potential, took him with the No. 1 overall pick in the Rule 5 Draft in December.

After operating in the low 90s early in his career, Garcia sat more in the 92-94 mph range and bumped 96 mph early in his starts in 2019. While he hasn't yet shown that he can maintain that velocity deep into games, Garcia's age and size (6-foot-3, 200 pounds) suggest he may do so as he continues to add strength to his frame. His breaking ball is an above-average pitch with consistent shape at its best, and he has bursts of effectiveness with a raw changeup that he throws firmly in the mid- to upper 80s. Garcia's cutter, which he added to his arsenal in 2019, already profiles as an average pitch.

Garcia doesn't have the cleanest or most efficient delivery, but he did do a better job of repeating his mechanics in his first Double-A campaign. And while Garcia's quick, three-quarters arm action gives him some natural deception, it does lead to some syncing issues between his upper and lower half. Garcia has a chance to start, but he'll need to further refine his delivery, improve his control and figure out how to be effective against left-handed hitters. A multi-inning relief role may be a better fit for him, while some evaluators envision his stuff playing up in shorter bursts out of the bullpen.

2 hours ago, Buddha said:

we really missed out when franklyn german flamed out.

Oh man, Franklyn German, big fat right-handed reliever.  And I just checked some rosters, he was on that 2004 staff with Steve Colyer, big fat left-handed reliever.  Sigh.

Toolshed: Judging Rule 5 Draft stickiness. Orioles, Tigers selections on strongest paths; Sox pick weakest

[T]his edition of Toolshed evaluates the stickiness level of all 11 players taken in the Rule 5 Draft on a rating of one (least likely) to five (most likely).

Rony Garcia, RHP, Tigers: Simply put, the Tigers could use all the talent they can get their paws on. Detroit is coming off a 47-win season and doesn't seem to plan on contending in 2020, holding off on that talk until the likes of Casey MizeMatt ManningTarik Skubal and other top prospects join the big club for good. In other words with all the talent available, the Tigers wouldn't take Garcia unless they had plans on keeping them. Garcia entered the conversation because of an improved above-average mid-to upper-90s fastball that he pairs with a solid breaking ball -- typical Rule 5 stuff. (He also has a cutter and changeup he can mix in.) He has worked as a starter in the Yankees system, but all of his stuff would work better in shorter stints. He's especially good against right-handed hitters, holding them to a .189 average at Double-A in 2019. Whether it's as a spot starter, multi-inning reliever or situational reliever, the Tigers have options with Garcia, and it's going to take some a real downturn for Detroit to let its new No. 21 prospect walk away. Stickiness level: Four

Excuse my noobness. But for the AAA Rule 5 draft, is it basically the same as the majors except that player has to stay on the AAA team? The guy the Tigers got in the AAA portion of the Rule 5 draft looks like a stud....

13 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Excuse my noobness. But for the AAA Rule 5 draft, is it basically the same as the majors except that player has to stay on the AAA team? The guy the Tigers got in the AAA portion of the Rule 5 draft looks like a stud....

From https://www.mlb.com/breaking-news/rule-5-draft-2019

The Triple-A phase was busier than the Major League one. It costs just $24,000 to make a pick and there are fewer restrictions involved. A player can be placed on any roster in the Minor Leagues and does not have to be offered back to the original club. A total of 42 players were taken in that phase on Thursday.

SO what is the story with him. He spent two years in A ball with only a total of 30 IP. Is there a surgery sandwiched in there or something?

also notable the Tigers lost no-one. That could mean our system is just overrated, or Al did a decent job of figuring out who he didn't need to protect.

14 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I found the same rule 5 minor league draft info that G2 found on bbref.

And here is Ruben Garcia's numerals.  So, it looks like we have our hard throwing reliever with control problems.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Gehringer_2 said:

also notable the Tigers lost no-one. That could mean our system is just overrated, or Al did a decent job of figuring out who he didn't need to protect.

It could be a little bit of timing, too.  It might be that a majority of the prospects that might be worth it are ineligible for this draft.

OK, OK, its probably because there wasn't anyone worth drafting.

Reuben Garcia didn't pitch much in 2018 because of a 50 game suspension for amphetamine use. Still not clear why only 17 IP in 2017. 

In any case this is a guy with almost no wear and tear on his arm yet. OTOH that means it will be a minor miracle if he throws strikes consistently.

9 hours ago, chasfh said:

Good thing they created a 26th roster spot.

I'm surprised there wasn't more action in the rule 5 because of it.  I guess, however, the extra spot might have enticed teams to be more protective of a guy or two going into the draft?  Or the extra spot simply had absolutely no impact on the draft at all.

13 hours ago, Casimir said:

I found the same rule 5 minor league draft info that G2 found on bbref.

And here is Ruben Garcia's numerals.  So, it looks like we have our hard throwing reliever with control problems.

Lots of strikeouts, lots of walks.  And only one home run allowed in 77.2 career innings.  But Matthew Boyd can mentor him out of that home-run stinginess.

31 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

Lots of strikeouts, lots of walks.  And only one home run allowed in 77.2 career innings.  But Matthew Boyd can mentor him out of that home-run stinginess.

I don't think Rueben will see the big leagues this yr - Matt will have to tutor him in ST, but then again there aren't exactly a ton of promising relievers in Det or the rest of the system. I guess at this point they aren't concerned since there will be a lot of starters left over to be converted to relief (or traded): Burrows, Funk, Shore, Rony Garcia, maybe Turnbull, etc.. Gardenhire keeps talking about Norris in relief - I think that has to be an absolute last resort - he's  one guy on the staff with 'face a hitter multiple times' stuff. Or it might also be a little mind gaming going on.

On 12/12/2019 at 3:44 PM, Charles Liston said:

A*****o S***n.  Can't type out the full name, still too painful.

4 minutes ago, Los Gatos said:

A*****o S***n.  Can't type out the full name, still too painful.

Good choice, although I think of him more as a big fat righthanded starter.

55 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Dan Szymborski's 2020 projections for Rule V pitcher picks.

1990081348_ronygarciaprojection.jpg.17dce08c7f253bdfbbe759ae2d64f6b8.jpg

24 starts seems a little aggressive.  And 136 hits in 117.3 innings seems pessimistic based on his MiLB track record.  

It's hard to be down on the Garcia pick; certainly more intriguing than say, Garrett or Stumpf.  Reading more about Sharp post-draft, I kind of wish they'd gone that way.  Though pre-draft I wanted a high risk/reward position player like Javier or Ruiz.  Reyes is showing some promise; I would have repeated that course.  Honestly, with the low net cost of the Rule 5 and the lack of roster talent, they should have picked 4-6 guys with hope that 2-3 might materialize.

8 minutes ago, Charles Liston said:

Good choice, although I think of him more as a big fat righthanded starter.

I wish that trade was a non-starter.  Time to book some therapy just thinking about it again.  

15 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

I don't think its against the system, few guys in teams top 10 are left un protected. 

I think its a matter of knowing which guys are unlikely to be taken. Elvin is a pitcher who hasn't made it further than A ball and lacks a true plus pitch. It be different if he had a really good pitch and a team thought they could stash him in the bullpen for a season and then send him to triple A. Jake, is on his best day, a fourth outfielder and every system has about 8 of them guys.