AlaskanTigersFan

Detroit Tigers Rule 5 Draft

Please oh Please! Here's my wish list from this list alone:
1. Wander Javier (Twins)
2. Jordan Sheffield (Dodgers)
3. Lolo Sanchez (Pirates)

If the Tigers take one of these 3, I'll be ecstatic. However, I'm sure they'll pick a guy that can't hit though that plays good defense....  Thoughts?

I think the Tigers should target a bat, preferably one that comes with a glove. Also, as great as it may be to snag someone with a good bit of upside even though they haven't played above A+ ball, I'm not sure that would work out well and seems kind of unfair to the player. So, I would disqualify anyone that hasn't at least played some AA.

I'm down with Ramos, he'd probably be just as good as anyone else the Tigers have to stick at 1B.

Also, Trent Giambrone, middle infielder with the cubs that has hit ok throughout minors.

http://www.milb.com/player/index.jsp?player_id=623508#/career/R/hitting/2019/ALL

Dude struck out 32% of the time. Heck he sounds like a Tiger already...... 

I'm hoping we claim Bird to be honest. Then we could draft someone else w/ rule 5. 

6 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

Dude struck out 32% of the time. Heck he sounds like a Tiger already...... 

I'm hoping we claim Bird to be honest. Then we could draft someone else w/ rule 5. 

Yeah, Bird has some pop. Also strikes out at 27% but has done so in the majors. It's an upgrade I guess.

• Like 1

This is an area where I’d expect the franchise to rely on its new found interest and investment in an analytics group.   It wouldn’t shock me to see the pick turn out to be a pretty random name that wasn’t on the radar.    

Giambrone might have some significant grit factor.  5'8".  Wears a beard.

7 hours ago, tater6 said:

What about this guy? 1B Roberto Ramos   Col.

He was mentioned in another thread, but he seems to be a popular suggestion around these parts.  PCL numbers might be suspect, but its not like there are a lot of other in house options and I doubt the Tigers are going to play much in free agency.  One thing about his numbers is that his OBP is consistently around 80 points higher than his AVG and he's had power in every level.

Some interesting pitchers available; Sterling Sharp, local boy, tremendous sinker, Zack Brown if he can recapture his yakker, and Luis Oviedo, a ways away, but a high ceiling.

I'd really like to see Al go with the highest ceiling player available here..... He's got nothing to lose. Pretty much why I want Wander most. He could be Lindor Jr. (without as much power). I'd be ok with that. 

28 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

I'd really like to see Al go with the highest ceiling player available here..... He's got nothing to lose. Pretty much why I want Wander most. He could be Lindor Jr. (without as much power). I'd be ok with that. 

Yes, he would be absolutely useless on the big league club, and you would set back a year of his development, but that's the type of talent you want to acquire.

55 minutes ago, AlaskanTigersFan said:

At some point ceiling has to come close to production. He's a 20 year old who hit below .200 with an OBP below .300. Who hasn't reached A+ ball. 

To compare Parades hit 282 at AA with a .368 OBP. Nobody is calling for him on the opening day roster. 

If we took Wander, he'd sit the entire year, so he'd be a 22 with two lost years (one at the major league level and one at injury) who we'd be sending to A+ or AA ball when he struggled in A. Does not sound like a recipe for success.

No rule 5 player is a recipe for success.  They are all recipes for failure.  However, when you have a 40-man roster with about 25 players who are pretty much worthless,  why not take a shot at a high ceiling player even if he likely won't amount to anything?

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

No rule 5 player is a recipe for success.  They are all recipes for failure.  However, when you have a 40-man roster with about 25 players who are pretty much worthless,  why not take a shot at a high ceiling player even if he likely won't amount to anything?

You can, but its silly to take someone with 1 percent shot of success when there are guys, maybe the ceiling is a little lower, but have a 10 percent shot of success.

If you keep swinging for the fences and missing all you get are strike outs. Sometimes a double is OK.

3 minutes ago, Keepleyland2 said:

You can, but its silly to take someone with 1 percent shot of success when there are guys, maybe the ceiling is a little lower, but have a 10 percent shot of success.

If you keep swinging for the fences and missing all you get are strike outs. Sometimes a double is OK.

They are likely to strike out either way.  

12 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

I would expect that most of these guys would benefit more from playing every day in the minors rather than do pregame drills and other training specific to them (rather than the rest of the MLB squad) and then not play in very many actual games.  Having the extra roster spot does help to carry someone that could go through that kind of a schedule, but as far as personal development, I'm not so sure how well it would work.  But I would also guess each case is different.

Maybe they decide to take a younger guy (say like Matais or Fermin from some of the guys that cruzer mentioned) to stash and play very little this season and an older guy (like Ramos or Rojas) that is probably more ready for reps and can reasonably have a shot at filling a current gap?

Lucas Erceg

Scouting grades: Hit: 45 | Power: 50 | Run: 50 | Arm: 70 | Field: 50 | Overall: 45

Erceg hit .308/.351/.639 with 20 home runs for NAIA Menlo College in 2016 before going to the Brewers in the second round and signing for $1.15 million. He reached full-season ball in pro debut, then delivered 15 homers and 33 doubles while ranking among the high Class A Carolina League leaders with 81 RBIs (first) and 207 total bases (second) in his first full season. Advancing to Double-A in 2018, Erceg struggled to find the same consistency on both sides of the ball that he'd shown the previous year.

Erceg has the physical tools to be an impactful left-handed hitter, including natural feel to hit and plus raw power that generates booming home runs. He frequently expanded his zone and made too much weak, often popped-up contact in 2018, and the Brewers believe he'll get back to his strengths after lowering the launch angle of his swing. Otherwise, Erecg's bat-to-ball skills, plate coverage and easy power are still there. He doesn't strike out much but will need to tighten his approach and become more selective. Defensively, Erceg is generally considered to be an athletic third baseman, with hands, footwork and plus-plus arm strength -- one that fired 93-94 mph fastballs as Menlo's closer -- though he still has gains to make in his overall consistency.

After a physically taxing 2018 season, Erceg spent the offseason training at the Brewers' spring complex in Florida, with his eyes set on beginning 2019 in peak condition. The Brewers have long been trying to develop a homegrown third baseman, and the hope is that Erceg still could be the answer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Keepleyland2 said:

At some point ceiling has to come close to production. He's a 20 year old who hit below .200 with an OBP below .300. Who hasn't reached A+ ball. 

To compare Parades hit 282 at AA with a .368 OBP. Nobody is calling for him on the opening day roster. 

If we took Wander, he'd sit the entire year, so he'd be a 22 with two lost years (one at the major league level and one at injury) who we'd be sending to A+ or AA ball when he struggled in A. Does not sound like a recipe for success.

it's borderline negligent to the player, but that's the system.  I guess the plus is that he would get, presumably, access to the best coaches in the organization and a feel for the big leagues, not to mention a nice salary.  However, his actual development would be compromised and he likely wouldn't sniff the majors again for a few more seasons.

1 hour ago, Lei Pong said:

Ramos...or Sharp

Stuffwise, Sharp reminds me of Mark Fidrych.

31 minutes ago, tiger337 said:

The significant thing is having the 1st pick. The odds are good that at least one team is being forced to expose a player better than someone you have.

1 hour ago, tiger337 said:

They are likely to strike out either way.  

Which is kind of my point.

Why take a guy with virtually no chance over a guy with a better chance?