Motor City Sonics

Better Call Saul - Season 5

1 hour ago, lordstanley said:

Kim got a job with the Kansas City Royals and then George Brett stole her away from Jimmy.

I figured it was Mike Sweeney

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

I feel like I must have watched a different episode than you.

Not going to elaborate?

2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Kim got a job with the Kansas City Royals and then George Brett stole her away from Jimmy.

Brockmire reference?

Well, I took from the episode than Kim just isn't along for the ride with Jimmy, she is more than willing to take over at the wheel if Jimmy gets a little squeamish about a minor thing like destroying someone's career and business practice.

1 minute ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Well, I took from the episode than Kim just isn't along for the ride with Jimmy, she is more than willing to take over at the wheel if Jimmy gets a little squeamish about a minor thing like destroying someone's career and business practice.

I completely agree. I don't know how what I said refutes that in any way.

Regardless, I'm pretty confident she's completely out of the picture during the BB years and isn't just hanging around town. 

1 minute ago, Yoda said:

Regardless, I'm pretty confident she's completely out of the picture during the BB years and isn't just hanging around town. 

If I had to bet on it I would agree with you. I guess I just don’t share the same level of confidence. I don’t think it would be unreasonable for her to still be hanging around town, or even still being involved with Jimmy in one way or another.

The earlier discussions seemed to focus on things like “I don’t see Kim sticking around in Jimmy’s life given the type of person he turns into.” But now it appears clear that isn’t shy about that kind of stuff and may be involved in pushing Jimmy to be even more shady than he already is. 

45 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I took your comment to mean she would open up her pro bono practice, stop being shady and leave Jimmy.

6 hours ago, Shelton said:

At the risk of opening up yet another Kim’s fate can of worms, why does this ensure she is out of the picture?

Exactly,  BB never went into Saul's life beyond the connection to the BB characters.   Kim might have been in his life the whole time. 

I love the technical stuff in the podcast.    I learn just how much goes into every single scene, every single shot.  

For instance, the episode where the guys who robbed Jimmy's phones were hanged upside down in the pinata store, I didn't realize that actors can only be held upside down for 30 seconds at a time, so it was really important to get shots right quickly because if they blow it they have to wait 2 full minutes to hang them upside down again.   Small things like that - or leaning what "pocket dialogue" is.  

4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Exactly,  BB never went into Saul's life beyond the connection to the BB characters.   Kim might have been in his life the whole time. 

Absolutely not happening. If that's the case, I don't think he skips town without her.

12 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I love the technical stuff in the podcast.    I learn just how much goes into every single scene, every single shot.  

For instance, the episode where the guys who robbed Jimmy's phones were hanged upside down in the pinata store, I didn't realize that actors can only be held upside down for 30 seconds at a time, so it was really important to get shots right quickly because if they blow it they have to wait 2 full minutes to hang them upside down again.   Small things like that - or leaning what "pocket dialogue" is.  

That kind of stuff is neat.... in the one where they were in the desert you learn they were actually out there in JULY!   That must have been brutal.  Jonathan Banks talked about the importance of stuntmen.  I like that kind of thing... but sometimes they will spend too long on other things I don't care about.

I would say with 80% confidence that Kim is either killed or jailed next season. Then a 19% chance she is disappeared incognito or leaves town voluntarily. Not out and about during BB.

On 4/21/2020 at 11:22 AM, lordstanley said:

Kansas City is just down the road a couple hours from Omaha. Just sayin' ...

On 4/21/2020 at 1:41 PM, Shelton said:

If I had to bet on it I would agree with you. I guess I just don’t share the same level of confidence. I don’t think it would be unreasonable for her to still be hanging around town, or even still being involved with Jimmy in one way or another.

The earlier discussions seemed to focus on things like “I don’t see Kim sticking around in Jimmy’s life given the type of person he turns into.” But now it appears clear that isn’t shy about that kind of stuff and may be involved in pushing Jimmy to be even more shady than he already is. 

Didn't we get a glimpse of Bad Kim in the beginning of the series when she and Saul were running game on some guy in a bar and they got him to write a big check to them? Wasn't she fully invested in that scam?

9 minutes ago, chasfh said:

Didn't we get a glimpse of Bad Kim in the beginning of the series when she and Saul were running game on some guy in a bar and they got him to write a big check to them? Wasn't she fully invested in that scam?

I believe so, yes. She’s been game to go along, and even encourage him from time to time. 

What if the "something bad" that happens to Kim is her going to prison?  She was **** bent on doing some real shady stuff to Howard and seems like she is "breaking bad" a bit herself.   It would seem a little far fetched for a person with her influence and stature to get a prison sentence but she seems to keep wanting to engage in more riskier schemes every time so maybe she gets to the point where she does something really bad.  

Also just want to add as far as the finale goes I thought it was great.   One minor complaint I have is Mike telling Jimmy something like "Lalo Salamaca is going to be killed at 3AM tonight, this time tomorrow he will be a dead man."  and then Jimmy sharing the news with Kim and them sharing relief.   I mean going into the episode I highly suspected that he was going to end up alive and be back for season 6 but that quote and the following actions of Jimmy and Kim all but assured it for me.  

My criticism with that is Mike telling Jimmy that level of detail.

I would have thought he would say something ominous like the Lalo situation is being addressed and leave it at that.

Minor quibble.

Kim has already broke bad even if she has done anything as of yet.

Sounds like they've been writing remotely and still plan to air Season 6 next year, in the fall. And sounds like it'll be 12 episodes. That could change during filming but right now that's the plan according to co-creator Peter Gould. 

On 4/22/2020 at 5:36 PM, VegasTiger said:

Damn, she's 47 years old. I never would have guessed. Bravo!

Lalo approves of this message

• Like 1

On 4/22/2020 at 4:36 PM, VegasTiger said:

Damn, she's 47 years old. I never would have guessed. Bravo!

Apropos of nothing, there are some clips of her in some no-account sitcom that ran on network TV in maybe the early 2000s or so. She does not particularly distinguish herself in it.

I don't think Howard is a bad guy like they want to paint him in the show.  I know the two leads hate him but I think he has tried to help both of them in the past.   Remember, he wanted to hire Jimmy right after he got his law degree and sided with Chuck (because any of us would side with a partner who is a legal star).    The scene last week might have been condescending but he really is trying to help Kim.   I know he's kind of an empty suit, but I don't think he deserves what's about to happen to him in the next season.   I think he has this air of corporate nepotism which makes him seem not genuine, but I think he's trying - in his way.   

How have they wanted to paint him as a bad guy?

If anything they have gone out of their way to show he is a flawed but likable individual.

Jimmy doesn't like him and Kim is playing off of it.  That is all.

Yeah I didn't get that either. He's probably been the nicest person in the series. 

Howard comes across real disingenuous to me but I guess compared to the flaws of the other characters on the show that isn't the worst thing in the world.