Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

Better Call Saul - Season 5

Recommended Posts

Does Lalo suspect Nacho knows about what really happened to Saul in the desert and/or that Nacho has betrayed the family, and he's therefore taking him to Mexico?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, lordstanley said:

Does Lalo suspect Nacho knows about what really happened to Saul in the desert and/or that Nacho has betrayed the family, and he's therefore taking him to Mexico?

I want to know who Nacho was speaking to on the phone.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m still not quite fully following the various cartel factions. Salamanca family is adverse to fring, and they both report to eladio. Nacho works for Salamanca. But I’ve already forgotten how he got involved with fring. Saul going to pick up the money is intercepted by this other group that is not fring and not Salamanca. It seems clearly aimed at Salamanca to get his money and also keep him in prison. Somehow mike also knew Saul was going to get the money and followed him. But why? Fring didn’t know the hit was about to happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Shelton said:

 Nacho works for Salamanca. But I’ve already forgotten how he got involved with fring. 

Wasn't it when Fring discovered that Nacho had tried to kill Salamanca by sabotaging his pill bottle? So Fring told Nacho to work with us as a spy or else.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Shelton said:

I’m still not quite fully following the various cartel factions. Salamanca family is adverse to fring, and they both report to eladio. Nacho works for Salamanca. But I’ve already forgotten how he got involved with fring. Saul going to pick up the money is intercepted by this other group that is not fring and not Salamanca. It seems clearly aimed at Salamanca to get his money and also keep him in prison. Somehow mike also knew Saul was going to get the money and followed him. But why? Fring didn’t know the hit was about to happen.

I'm so slow on the uptake that the first time I watched the ambush scene two episodes ago, I thought the hijackers had greedily turned on each other and were shooting each other. I didn't realize Mike was gunning them down.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Wasn't it when Fring discovered that Nacho had tried to kill Salamanca by sabotaging his pill bottle? So Fring told Nacho to work with us as a spy or else.

Yup. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, lordstanley said:

Does Lalo suspect Nacho knows about what really happened to Saul in the desert and/or that Nacho has betrayed the family, and he's therefore taking him to Mexico?

Kim's speech was all about how Lalo couldn't trust his own family to bring the money, and I think we are supposed think that something clicked in Lalo's head to make him realize it must have been Eladio (i.e. his crime family) that attempted to rob Saul in order to keep Lalo in prison.

Further, Lalo is going to presume this means Eladio favors Fring and keeping Lalo in prison is a clean (and blameless) way to remove the Salamancas from Alburquerque.

I think Lalo is bringing Nacho as support for a showdown with Eladio.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shelton said:

I’m still not quite fully following the various cartel factions. Salamanca family is adverse to fring, and they both report to eladio. Nacho works for Salamanca. But I’ve already forgotten how he got involved with fring. Saul going to pick up the money is intercepted by this other group that is not fring and not Salamanca. It seems clearly aimed at Salamanca to get his money and also keep him in prison. Somehow mike also knew Saul was going to get the money and followed him. But why? Fring didn’t know the hit was about to happen.

Fring allowed Nacho burn a store down and steal money from a drop in order to maintain the illusion that Nacho was loyal to Lalo (after Lalo instructed Nacho to do those things, with the goal of making Fring look weak to Eladio).

I think we are to supposed to gather that news of the loss of income and store damage got to Eladio, Eladio presumed correctly Lalo was behind it, and Lalo would continue hitting Fring's businesses.

Eladio decides that he doesn't want Fring's revenue stream to him messed with, and figures if Lalo stays in jail, things will return to normal with Fring.  So Eladio decided the best way to do that without pissing the Salamancas off would be to steal the bond money once it came into America and make it look like nameless thieves did it.  Ancillary benefit is the crime family wouldn't be forced to pay (in part, or full - not clear which based on Gus' call?) the $7M bond.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't know how Mike knew to wait at the hijack point at the exact time, but this is the best I can reason.

Gus knew the family fronted at least some of the money for the bond per his phone conversation with Eladio late in the episode, so Gus knew the money was coming over to cover bond.

I think Gus sent Mike to make sure the money arrived in Albuquerque safely, because if it didn't, Gus was afraid he would be presumed guilty by the cartel because Gus had a big reason to want to keep Lalo in prison and the opportunity because he knew money was coming over.  To say nothing of $7M.

Suspension of disbelief can argue Mike would know about the well meeting place due to past dealings with the cartel and further he knew that hairpin turn was the best place for a hijacking on the return trip, so he tailed Saul initially and set up there on the chance a hijacking would go down, which it did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's a pretty solid guess though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not only that, but Lalo also probably correctly guessed Gus' men prevented the money from being stolen because *nobody else* could have.  He wanted confirmation from Jimmy when Kim snapped him out of focusing on that with her commentary and instead focus on who tried to rob Jimmy. 

If Gus protected it, it meant he knew it was coming, which means Eladio trusted him with that information at a minimum.

Also, if Gus didn't rob it, and nobody else knew it was coming, who else could be behind it?

Lalo figured out Eladio was backing Gus without Gus' knowledge.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Lalo's last line to Hector before he left the nursing home was 'family is everything'.

That’s the same line hector said to the cousins in the breaking bad flashback scene of them. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Remember when the cousins picked up the money there was a guy there watching and I think he made a call. And mike knew where Saul would be due to the gas cap being bugged.  He took it off before they dumped the car.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's what might happen with the BB time line.........................either the show ends with Saul, there's a Mr. Mayhew to see you or they some how show some kind of montage to weave into the BCS timeline over the course of a couple of episodes.        They need to somehow bridge things to Gene, because I really do think next year we get a lot more Gene scenes and maybe full Gene episodes before it ends.     I think this show ends with Jimmy/Saul/Gene's death or him going to jail.    This won't have a happy ending - it can't, it would cheapen it.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just know I am going to be very bummed that it's going away and who knows for how long.   Wasn't there a really long gap between the last 2 seasons of Breaking Bad?     I'll try to find some void-filling show.    It'll be tough to see the Breaking Bad universe come to an end with the last season of BCS, but I trust that whatever Vince Gilligan does next, it'll be great.   The level of detail in his shows is impressive and I am sure he and AMC will come up with something really good in the future.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This show is the kind that you could watch again and have it still feel fresh the second time because the story was so complicated and quite different in the early seasons.  There's a lot I forgot.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, Oblong said:

This show is the kind that you could watch again and have it still feel fresh the second time because the story was so complicated and quite different in the early seasons.  There's a lot I forgot.  

 

I’m still slightly torn on this show. I think it got off to a pretty rocky start. It’s great to look at, and that’s worth something. Performances are very good. But it still feels like it is missing something story-wise. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Shelton said:

I’m still slightly torn on this show. I think it got off to a pretty rocky start. It’s great to look at, and that’s worth something. Performances are very good. But it still feels like it is missing something story-wise. 

Hot take alert: Bob Odenkirk just isn't a leading actor. He's good at playing a scoundrel, but any scenes with actual dramatic acting, not so much. And being the main character, they ask him to do that too often. They've done a good job with surrounding him with legit dramatic talent at least. That, to me, is the biggest problem with the show. I still love it anyhow. But if I had to nitpick one aspect, that'd be a big one. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Yoda said:

Hot take alert: Bob Odenkirk just isn't a leading actor. He's good at playing a scoundrel, but any scenes with actual dramatic acting, not so much. And being the main character, they ask him to do that too often. They've done a good job with surrounding him with legit dramatic talent at least. That, to me, is the biggest problem with the show. I still love it anyhow. But if I had to nitpick one aspect, that'd be a big one. 

He would be a fine leading actor in a sitcom, imo.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Edman85 said:

He would be a fine leading actor in a sitcom, imo.

Agreed. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I fear the worst for Kim Wexler. Is Lalo, a highly placed cartel official doing business in a macho culture, really going to let a little woman just lip off to him like that, especially in front of a man whose respect he must have, and let her get away with it?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...