Sydney_Fife

Officially TANK time!

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

nobody has to give up on andre, its more of a realization of what a player with his skill set should be paid and then getting him to focus on doing the things he does well.

This is true.

But the flip side is that in order to maximize Dre's potential, he needs to be surrounded by talented players that limit the need for him to try and do too much. Make him a 3rd/4th option. Because the Pistons have never been able to do this (they came closest last year before Blake got hurt...), they are now in a quandary.

Keep trying to get these players around Dre' (with almost no means to do so), and pay this man his money. (Option A).

Or try a different route. A reset. Trade Dre and try to rebuild around Sekou (Option B)... that's a (3?) years down-the-road plan before any kind of fruition takes hold... (The 3 years is just a guess but... in the ballpark?)

Gores might be actually open to Option B at this point, it sounds like.

3 hours ago, 313DetroitCity said:

In before "HE WON'T EVER DO IT AND HE WILL MARRY ANDRE DRUMMOND!!"

of course - can we tell from this whether it isn't just Blake or Reggie he wants to pivot away from?  :wink:

43 minutes ago, 84 Lives!!! said:

This is true.

But the flip side is that in order to maximize Dre's potential, he needs to be surrounded by talented players that limit the need for him to try and do too much. Make him a 3rd/4th option. Because the Pistons have never been able to do this (they came closest last year before Blake got hurt...), they are now in a quandary.

Keep trying to get these players around Dre' (with almost no means to do so), and pay this man his money. (Option A).

Or try a different route. A reset. Trade Dre and try to rebuild around Sekou (Option B)... that's a (3?) years down-the-road plan before any kind of fruition takes hold... (The 3 years is just a guess but... in the ballpark?)

Gores might be actually open to Option B at this point, it sounds like.

as much as i like drafting sekou, we dont know what he is at this point.  i wouldnt "build around him" until i knew better how he's going to develop.  the pistons just need to draft and develop as much talent as they can.

if they can keep andre on a reasonable deal, then by all means do so.  im not sure thats possible.  andre is still pretty young and has gotten a little bit better every year, but big rebounders on 27 million per probably isnt the best way to win.

and saying andre needs 3/4 guys around him to win means andre is a bit player.  27 million a year players should be more dominant than that, imo.

The most glowing scouting reports even said Sekou will probably not be a star.  No elite athleticism, no elite parts to his game, no elite handle.  He's probably more Tayshaun Prince than star player.

Hey, if you're landing a Prince type player at #15 you're doing pretty good.  Just don't sign him to that last contract!

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

The most glowing scouting reports even said Sekou will probably not be a star.  No elite athleticism, no elite parts to his game, no elite handle.  He's probably more Tayshaun Prince than star player.

Hey, if you're landing a Prince type player at #15 you're doing pretty good.  Just don't sign him to that last contract!

The most glowing reports compared him to Siakam, a guy who will be an All-Star this year. I can see him being a player like Deng - really valuable but not the guy to carry a franchise. 

But given his age, who really knows where he ends up. 

2 minutes ago, 313DetroitCity said:

The most glowing reports compared him to Siakam, a guy who will be an All-Star this year. I can see him being a player like Deng - really valuable but not the guy to carry a franchise. 

But given his age, who really knows where he ends up. 

They said like Siakam he got a lot start in basketball.  They did not compare his ability or ceiling. 

Remember when Pistons fans thought he was going to be great?  Those 4 meaningless games at the end of the 2017-18 season?  That was fun.

No pick, Stanley, Ellenson, Kennard, no pick and Sekeo.  Kennard has been pretty solid and obviously we don't know what Sekeou will turn out to be but damn unless Sekeou turns into atleast a solid regular that's about the worst 6 year stretch of picks you could ask for.  

Stanley is back healthy now.  But even with all of the Raptors injury problems he is still struggling to get playing time.

I'm going to buy a team in the Big 3 league.  My starters will be SJ, Ellenson, and Stuckey.  Darko coaching with Greg Monroe as an assistant.  

6 hours ago, Buddha said:

as much as i like drafting sekou, we dont know what he is at this point.  i wouldnt "build around him" until i knew better how he's going to develop.  the pistons just need to draft and develop as much talent as they can.

if they can keep andre on a reasonable deal, then by all means do so.  im not sure thats possible.  andre is still pretty young and has gotten a little bit better every year, but big rebounders on 27 million per probably isnt the best way to win.

and saying andre needs 3/4 guys around him to win means andre is a bit player.  27 million a year players should be more dominant than that, imo.

100% in agreement.

On 1/2/2020 at 8:21 PM, Gehringer_2 said:

Last time I was feeling good about the Pistons was the moment before Jennings popped his achilles.

Yeah that was a shame cause Jennings looked like he was starting to come into his own right before the injury.  In the five games leading up to the injury he had games of 37 points,  34pts 10 asts and the amazing 24pts 21 ast game.   Just a shame to get the most devasting injury a player of his skill set can get(or perhaps any player) right when you're playing the best ball of your career.  

If the Pistons can unload Drummond, get Blake to have season ending knee surgery, that should lead to bottoming out.

That should secure a pretty good draft pick. If Blake can come back with his knee fixed next year, adding a high draft pick and getting a decent free agent the Pistons might actually be decent next year.

does drummond actually help them win?

i dont think they'd be much worse off if drummond left.  maybe win 1 or 2 less games depending on what they got back.

I doubt they pass Atlanta, Golden State, Cleveland, or New York.  So #5 is the highest possible finish.  That would give them a 10% shot at the #1 pick in the lottery.  

So how much good does this actually do? We know it hurts a really bad team which will have a hard time recovering if they only get a #4, but does it really do much about tanking? I think it just moves it a bit. If you are in 5th position that still does you no particular good as compared to 3rd, so you are going to want to lose enough to get to 3rd place where the odds change is. So the 4th&5th place teams 'semi-tank' instead of the last place team fully tanking. I'm not sure how much better basketball that makes for going down the stretch.

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

So how much good does this actually do? We know it hurts a really bad team which will have a hard time recovering if they only get a #4, but does it really do much about tanking? I think it just moves it a bit. If you are in 5th position that still does you no particular good as compared to 3rd, so you are going to want to lose enough to get to 3rd place where the odds change is. So the 4th&5th place teams 'semi-tank' instead of the last place team fully tanking. I'm not sure how much better basketball that makes for going down the stretch.

Yep, there were a lot of complaints when it was introduced.  

Maybe the answer should be that the team with the worst record still gets the 1st pick, but they have to replace their owner/coach/and/or GM before they can have it. That might create a more righteous set of incentives and give the fans of really bad teams more hope on multiple fronts!