Jump to content

MAROTH4MVP

Lions @ Redskins

Recommended Posts

20 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I don't think Patrica should be fired just yet, that should be for the next GM to decide. I do think Quinn could and possibly should be fired if we get embarrassed tomorrow.

If you fire Patricia, Quinn has to go too.    He fired a fairly successful coach (especially by Lions standards) to bring in Patricia.  

If you fire Quinn, Patricia may last the season but you can't force the new GM to keep the coach.  Not again.    If you are going to make a clean sweep - go all the way.     

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If you fire Patricia, Quinn has to go too.    He fired a fairly successful coach (especially by Lions standards) to bring in Patricia.  

If you fire Quinn, Patricia may last the season but you can't force the new GM to keep the coach.  Not again.    If you are going to make a clean sweep - go all the way.     

If you let Quinn stay and hire a new coach, that means you believe the Lions actually have enough talent to have been a winning team this season. Does anyone think that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

If you let Quinn stay and hire a new coach, that means you believe the Lions actually have enough talent to have been a winning team this season. Does anyone think that?

There is talent on this team but his 1st and 2nd round picks have been average to underwhelming and he overspent on a few free agents to make up for it.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If you fire Patricia, Quinn has to go too.    He fired a fairly successful coach (especially by Lions standards) to bring in Patricia.  

If you fire Quinn, Patricia may last the season but you can't force the new GM to keep the coach.  Not again.    If you are going to make a clean sweep - go all the way.     

Right, I'm not saying make the new GM keep Patricia. It should be up to the next GM as to what his fate is.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

There is talent on this team but his 1st and 2nd round picks have been average to underwhelming and he overspent on a few free agents to make up for it.   

And it seems the defensive talent on this team is under-utilized. 

The worst personnel decision Quinn has made was hiring his crony Patricia. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how Patricia is a crony just because they have a previous connection. Patricia was a qualified candidate. He was offered a head coaching position before the Lions. The team has lead every game it has played and that includes late leads against good teams. The team is not that far off. It doesn't need to be burned to the ground. You have a franchise QB. Fire Patricia and look for a coach outside the Patriots orbit. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I like how Patricia is a crony just because they have a previous connection. Patricia was a qualified candidate. He was offered a head coaching position before the Lions. The team has lead every game it has played and that includes late leads against good teams. The team is not that far off. It doesn't need to be burned to the ground. You have a franchise QB. Fire Patricia and look for a coach outside the Patriots orbit. 

Patricia was brought in to rebuild the defense according to the Patriots model.

This model is designed to be versatile and situational, tightening up on third down and in the red zone. Instead, they cannot make a stop in these situations. 

This model is designed not to need a dominant edge rusher, given that this is the rarest and most expensive defensive talent. Instead Patricia evidently asked for, and was given, $90 million to spend on a Patriots castaway. 

Also, have you seen what happened to the Patriots defense since Patricia (and Flores) left? 

It is clear to me that Patricia is not the right coach. I thought then, and I still think, that Quinn should not have been allowed to hire a coach whose experience — and inexperience — was so similar to his own. It was a mistake by Rod Wood, and by Mrs. Ford, to have a management structure where the only professional football experience at all three levels — HC, GM, president — was under the same franchise, and the same coach, and with no NFL playing experience. 

Quinn has not been nearly as bad as Patricia. I do not believe that, under Patricia, the players he has picked are as good as the sum of their parts. 

I would be OK with Quinn staying, but Patricia needs to go. (And I don’t buy the nonsense about Quinn picking “his guy.” It is not his team.)

But under no circumstances should Quinn be allowed to trade Stafford. If he broaches the subject, I hope Rod Wood would have the guts to recommend his termination. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

I like how Patricia is a crony just because they have a previous connection. Patricia was a qualified candidate. He was offered a head coaching position before the Lions. The team has lead every game it has played and that includes late leads against good teams. The team is not that far off. It doesn't need to be burned to the ground. You have a franchise QB. Fire Patricia and look for a coach outside the Patriots orbit. 

The fact they’ve led in every game they lost is just as easily viewed as a huge knock against Patricia. It shows an inability to make in game adjustments and also a failure to create a disciplined team that loses composure with blown assignments and dumb penalties when the game is in the balance.  

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

The fact they’ve led in every game they lost is just as easily viewed as a huge knock against Patricia. It shows an inability to make in game adjustments and also a failure to create a disciplined team that loses composure with blown assignments and dumb penalties when the game is in the balance.  

Yup I'm not disagreeing here. I literally said fire Patricia. However, there are some people who have blood in their eyes and want to go scorched earth. I think this team is better than their record. It's not an instance of them getting down early and scoring garbage points to make the games closer than they were. They are only one of three teams to lead every game. I've come around to the idea of firing Patricia now and promoting Bevell. Bevell got a career year out of Brett Favre at the end of his career, was by all accounts the main guy who convinced Seattle to draft Wilson and subsequently develop him, and he had Stafford playing at an MVP level. If he has a good chemistry with Stafford, turn it over to Bevell and hire an experienced defensive coordinator. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

They need to get better at every OL position other than C.   They need to get much better at ILB.  They need another Edge rusher.   They need another corner and maybe 2 depending on what they choose with Slay.  He will need an extension or he is 100% to sit out training camp and maybe more.  They need to either extend Amendola or find another 3rd WR.   They also will need to either extend Jones or he will walk after next season.    
 

Barring injury, they are good for a while at QB, RB, WR1, TE, C, DT, S.    

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...