CMRivdog

Looks like Erie is on Manfred’s “Hit List”

8 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

One of two Eastern League teams expected to get the boot.....

https://www.goerie.com/sports/20191117/erie-could-lose-seawolves-in-mlbs-minor-league-purge

Revenge of the coastal elites. TPTB in NYC are jealous that a midwest team owns all that pitching talent at Erie that was showing up the rest of the league.

• Like 1

I was trying to find the full list. I guess the NYT posted one yesterday, I haven’t hit my wife up for her password yet.

I understand the concept, just hate to see some longtime iconic MILB cities loose franchises that have been around for a long time

8 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

I was trying to find the full list. I guess the NYT posted one yesterday, I haven’t hit my wife up for her password yet.

I understand the concept, just hate to see some longtime iconic MILB cities loose franchises that have been around for a long time

The part I don't follow why this should be a league mandate. If a team like Houston thinks they have too many affiliates, they should be free to reduce that, but if an MLB team wants to spend the cost of what amounts to one major league minimum salary to support an affiliate, what business is that of Manfred's office?

If it's a matter of controlling overall MLB franchise operating cost, add MiLB expenses to the salary cap and let teams decide where to spend it.

• Thanks 1

What’s to stop a MLB franchise to enter into an agreement with one or more of the Independent Dream League teams?

The plan seems to be a desire to cut costs, make some cities upgrade facilities and give a raise to minor leaguers.

If each team gets 5 affiliates altogether for their prospects, it seems like there may be a bit of a throwback to the days when clubs “bought” contracts from independence teams. Just not sure how it would work in the 21st century economics compared to the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s. The current setup has been fairly stable since the early ‘60s

13 minutes ago, CMRivdog said:

What’s to stop a MLB franchise to enter into an agreement with one or more of the Independent Dream League teams?

The plan seems to be a desire to cut costs, make some cities upgrade facilities and give a raise to minor leaguers.

If each team gets 5 affiliates altogether for their prospects, it seems like there may be a bit of a throwback to the days when clubs “bought” contracts from independence teams. Just not sure how it would work in the 21st century economics compared to the 20’s, 30’s and 40’s. The current setup has been fairly stable since the early ‘60s

I imagine there is more money today in broadcast than in tickets even at the MiLB level. So the 'independents' can only be viable if they can succeed in selling media rights. Will they be able to do that without the cachet of MLB affiliation?

Likewise, a kid is more likely to keep playing for the pauper's wages in the MiLB because he at least 'belongs' to an MLB org. I have a hard time seeing how the independents support their players well enough to keep them.

In fact thinking about this whole effort, I would guess the outcome would be to drive US players who really want to keep playing into out of country leagues - much like the flow of US college basketball players to Euro leagues.

I’m not even sure there is that much money in broadcast at the minor league level. I would imagine most teams set up an arrange where they pay the stations for time and sell their own advertising. Or broadcast the games over the internet. 

Baseball is the only sport I can think of that uses an extensive minor league system. The NFL’ s uses colleges primarily, as does the NBA (although there is the developmental league and Europe)

Hockey still has the AHL, but do any of the other leagues (ECHL, and developmental leagues)have NHL arrangements like MLB?

23 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

MLB is going to spend more in court than they are going to save for any number of years....

I don’t think this is true.

22 hours ago, tiger337 said:

Does this mean the Connecticut Tigers won't need a new nickname?

The GoneZos?

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRHWE6Us5IqtJN9-MHB09Q