Motor City Sonics

Coaching Candidates

6 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would consider Rivera. Outside of that Super Bowl year, he actually has a sub 500 record and is 1-3 in the playoffs. That one playoff win was when the Panthers were 7-8-1 and beat an Arizona team with their 3rd string QB. Maybe bring him as a defensive coordinator with a new coach? 

Why would you not include the year he went 15-1 and went to the super bowl in his record?  ****, he also went 12-4 and 11-5.

The Lions have won 12 games in a season once in 85 years.

At this rate, it will take Patricia about 3 more years to win 15 games in his career...

10 hours ago, kgeorge78 said:

bring him in as( Rivera) DC keep patricia another year and draft Chase young

I was thinking more of promoting Bevell and bringing on Rivera as a defensive coordinator but Rivers will certainly get another HC job.

9 hours ago, Buddha said:

Why would you not include the year he went 15-1 and went to the super bowl in his record?  ****, he also went 12-4 and 11-5.

The Lions have won 12 games in a season once in 85 years.

At this rate, it will take Patricia about 3 more years to win 15 games in his career...

I know how you are enamored with single seasons, but the Panthers peaked that year and haven't been the same. Lots of coaches went to the Super Bowl. Jim Caldwell did. Dan Quinn has. John fox has been to multiple Super Bowls with multiple teams. Rivera would probably be on my short list with McCarthy and Bevell. I don't follow college football to know about the college coaches. My guess is Rivera lands in New York.

If we are talking college football Lincoln Riley and Matt Rhule would probably be the two top choices in the college game that I would want to consider. I'd be interested to see if Urban Meyer would jump to the NFL as well, but I think he is going to end up as the next coach at USC.

12 hours ago, kgeorge78 said:

bring him in as( Rivera) DC keep patricia another year and draft Chase young

Why do you dislike Chase Young? Talent comes to Detroit to rot. First you need to find the talent to draft them and then develop that talent. Detroit has failed to do any of that in my lifetime and I'm old as dirt. Just trade all your picks, every season, for proven players. That way, at least they may have been developed properly.

quinn wont take young and instead will take a safety with a top 5 pick.  or a guard.  some other low ceiling player who will a good character fit.

14 hours ago, Buddha said:

quinn wont take young and instead will take a safety with a top 5 pick.  or a guard.  some other low ceiling player who will a good character fit.

Agreed. I mean this in all seriousness, I would be very surprised if Quinn went with a pick like Chase Young or a Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert type pick. He would deem those as too aggressive or find some character flaw in them.  If he goes with defense he will want what he deems as a safer, low-ceiling pick as you said. Someone who fits the scheme Patrica is running because both Quinn and Patrica seem to believe you can teach talent but scheme trumps talent. I could easily see the kid out of Clemson Isaiah Simmons being the pick. If he goes offense I think you're correct that it will be an O-lineman. Andrew Thomas the Tackle out of Georgia, Tristan Wrifs the Guard out of Iowa, someone safe like one of those guys.

Valenti straight up said it yesterday on the Ticket saying he doesn't trust Bob Quinn with a Top 5 pick.

10 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Agreed. I mean this in all seriousness, I would be very surprised if Quinn went with a pick like Chase Young or a Joe Burrow/Justin Herbert type pick. He would deem those as too aggressive or find some character flaw in them.  If he goes with defense he will want what he deems as a safer, low-ceiling pick as you said. Someone who fits the scheme Patrica is running because both Quinn and Patrica seem to believe you can teach talent but scheme trumps talent. I could easily see the kid out of Clemson Isaiah Simmons being the pick. If he goes offense I think you're correct that it will be an O-lineman. Andrew Thomas the Tackle out of Georgia, Tristan Wrifs the Guard out of Iowa, someone safe like one of those guys.

Valenti straight up said it yesterday on the Ticket saying he doesn't trust Bob Quinn with a Top 5 pick.

Picking that high might give him an opportunity to get an even better tight end than T.J. Hockenson.   Or maybe he could actually luck into a fullback, like the Lions did with their first-round pick in 1983, while Dan Marino and Jim Kelly were still on the board.

Just now, six-hopper said:

Picking that high might give him an opportunity to get an even better tight end than T.J. Hockenson.   Or maybe he could actually luck into a fullback, like the Lions did with their first-round pick in 1983, while Dan Marino and Jim Kelly were still on the board.

I don't think he's at a Russ Thomas level of stupidity to pick a Fullback. But the point still stands that I think he will go with a lower risk-lower reward, scheme fit type guy with the pick.

35 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I rank that as my "worst draft decision" in Lions history. Mostly because they actually needed a QB.

My #2 would be Mike Williams over Demarcus Ware in 2005. The entire NFL was scratching their head over that one. The next five draft picks after Williams? All Pro Bowlers.

#3: The Ebron pick. No DTs under contract, Suh in a walk year. And Aaron Donald falls to them, gift-wrapped on a gold platter. I rank this behind the Mike Williams pick because at least we got a little production from Ebron. With Williams we got nothing. 3rd worst decision, but probably #1 on the most galactically stupid list

5 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Valenti is a moron.  Listening to that stuff rots your brain.

Meanwhile, the Packers 2nd round OL pick (Elgton Jenkins) and the Vikings 2nd round TE pick (Irv Smith Jr.) are both OROY candidates

59 minutes ago, number20 said:

Meanwhile, the Packers 2nd round OL pick (Elgton Jenkins) and the Vikings 2nd round TE pick (Irv Smith Jr.) are both OROY candidates

Neither of these players would be in the top 10 for OROY

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

Neither of these players would be in the top 10 for OROY

You're right, and I should've said NFL all rookie team (not OROY). Point is...   well, you know

5 hours ago, sagnam said:

Valenti is a moron.  Listening to that stuff rots your brain.

What??? Valenti's been spot on all season.

• Like 1

I find him very entertaining, which is what his job is all about.  And he is especially so when things are not going well for Michigan State or the Lions.  It makes him one of only three things associated with MSU that I like, the other two being Kirk Gibson and Sparty's very nice baseball and softball complex (especially the baseball field), where I  go just about every year for the high-school state championship games. 

On 12/5/2019 at 1:51 PM, number20 said:

I rank that as my "worst draft decision" in Lions history. Mostly because they actually needed a QB.

My #2 would be Mike Williams over Demarcus Ware in 2005. The entire NFL was scratching their head over that one. The next five draft picks after Williams? All Pro Bowlers.

#3: The Ebron pick. No DTs under contract, Suh in a walk year. And Aaron Donald falls to them, gift-wrapped on a gold platter. I rank this behind the Mike Williams pick because at least we got a little production from Ebron. With Williams we got nothing. 3rd worst decision, but probably #1 on the most galactically stupid list

James Jones turned out to be a decent runner.  They should have drafted a QB that year.

Great article and video on McCarthy and what he’s been doing with his free season.   I wonder if he is planning on bringing Haslett with him to the next gig.  

4. Detroit Lions

Biggest strength: Quarterback
Biggest weakness: Ownership

The Ford family has generally been very patient with head coaches, which is the biggest reason Matt Patricia is likely to get a third year in Detroit. The Lions hired him after a season in which Jim Caldwell went 9-7 and had the league's 19th-ranked defense by DVOA. Patricia's Patriots defense when he was coordinator ranked 31st in DVOA that same season. Since then, the Lions have gone 9-19-1. Patricia's defenses have ranked 28th and now 24th in DVOA despite trading for defensive tackle Damon Harrison and signing pass-rusher Trey Flowers to a big-money deal in free agency. The Patriots' defense hasn't exactly suffered since Patricia left town, either.

The only coach the Ford family has fired after two seasons since 1980 is Marty Mornhinweg, who went 5-27 in 2001-02. (Even then, the Lions suggested Mornhinweg would be back before changing their mind and hiring Steve Mariucci.) The patience ownership typically affords coaches here is a huge positive for new coaches, and the Fords might look at the 3-4-1 record the Lions posted before Matthew Stafford went down injured and write off what happened afterward as the product of middling quarterback play.

Of course, the Lions probably should have had a better Plan B behind Stafford than Jeff Driskel and David Blough, and the defense wasn't very good when Stafford was around, either. The Lions were 14th in points scored per drive on offense with Stafford in the lineup. Their defense was 28th in the same category. Patricia inherited a competent-to-good team and has dragged it down in the area in which he was expected to offer specific expertise.

The defense doesn't look closer to being fixed than it was when Patricia arrived. General manager Bob Quinn has curiously continued to invest first-round picks on offense, having used three of his four since taking over the job on players surrounding Stafford. The one player Quinn has drafted to achieve a Pro Bowl or an All-Pro nod is return man Jamal Agnew, although both center Frank Ragnow and wideout Kenny Golladay have had breakout 2019 seasons.

The draw for most coaches here will be Stafford, who provides a built-in floor as one of the league's most consistently competent quarterbacks. He was in the middle of one of the best stretches of his career before getting injured, and given that he hadn't missed a game since 2010, it seems fair to call his 2019 back injury an aberration until we see more evidence to the contrary. Stafford isn't cheap -- he has the league's highest cap hit at $29.5 million this year and is penciled in for the fifth-highest hit in 2020 at $31.5 million -- but this version of the quarterback and a solid defense would be a playoff team. If they could just fix that defense.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28276535/ranking-best-worst-potential-nfl-head-coaching-openings-2019

1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Martha Ford & Rod Wood will have a Press Conference before the last game of the season to announce everyone will be back next year.  

Why not just announce it now? Are they worried apathy will set in and no one will show up? Just another way to make suckers of the fans by the Fords.

52 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Why not just announce it now? Are they worried apathy will set in and no one will show up? Just another way to make suckers of the fans by the Fords.

You want Logic from this ownership?  

6 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Martha Ford & Rod Wood will have a Press Conference before the last game of the season to announce everyone will be back next year.  

you said they would be fired after they lost to the bears and the skins...

16 minutes ago, Buddha said:

you said they would be fired after they lost to the bears and the skins...

and they weren't, which means they'll keep them.