Motor City Sonics

Coaching Candidates

Just now, Hongbit said:

They need to hire an experienced GM this time around.   

I disagree.  Spielman is as tuned in as any other candidate.  John Lynch didn't have any experience when he went to SF.

30 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

John Lynch didn't have any experience when he went to SF.

He’s the exception and not the rule.   Are there other recent examples of GM’s that have had success without any prior front office experience?  

1 minute ago, Hongbit said:

He’s the exception and not the rule.   Are there other recent examples of GM’s that have had success without any prior front office experience?  

Rick Spielman, who was just a scout.  The best GM's have jobs right now, the best remaining talent are outliers imo.  Chris Spielman is the perfect person for this job right now.

the franchise that hired matt millen wants to hire another announcer with no nfl front office experience.

pass.

I think Quinn is doing something very similar to Randy Smith with the Tigers...............Hey, I worked for this team before, so I already know these players so I will load up on these guys and do things the way they did it.    That doesn't work.   

12 hours ago, cruzer1 said:

Rick Spielman, who was just a scout.  The best GM's have jobs right now, the best remaining talent are outliers imo.  Chris Spielman is the perfect person for this job right now.

Maybe his Wikipedia is wrong.  He had many years in front offices before getting both GM jobs.  

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rick_Spielman

35B42A1B-1A83-466E-B4D6-3203CE9059AE.png

3 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

I think Quinn is doing something very similar to Randy Smith with the Tigers...............Hey, I worked for this team before, so I already know these players so I will load up on these guys and do things the way they did it.    That doesn't work.   

Or maybe he's Dave Dombrowski bringing in all his Florida cronies and trading the farm for his boy Miguel Cabrera. 

Solid day thus far draft pick wise as most of the teams ahead of us won.   That week 1 tie is looming large right now though, currently we're in the 7 spot, if that tie would have been a loss we'd be in the 3rd spot.  

1 hour ago, RandyMarsh said:

Solid day thus far draft pick wise as most of the teams ahead of us won.   That week 1 tie is looming large right now though, currently we're in the 7 spot, if that tie would have been a loss we'd be in the 3rd spot.  

tankathon has us in the 6 spot

14 hours ago, RandyMarsh said:

That tie should have been a win, if anything.

16 hours ago, Keepleyland2 said:

tankathon has us in the 6 spot

If Chase Young is the guy we want I suspect we have be move ahead of the Giants, Falcons, and Redskins. I don't see Cincinnati nor Miami passing on a QB, so I don't think they'll be in the running for Young. The Giants, Falcons and Redskins are all quite possible landing spots for Young.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

If Chase Young is the guy we want I suspect we have be move ahead of the Giants, Falcons, and Redskins. I don't see Cincinnati nor Miami passing on a QB, so I don't think they'll be in the running for Young. The Giants, Falcons and Redskins are all quite possible landing spots for Young.

if young is going to be a top 3 pick were not going to get him.

besides, with our current management, i doubt they value a pure pass rusher over their usual "jack of all trades master of none" player they seem to target.

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

if young is going to be a top 3 pick were not going to get him.

besides, with our current management, i doubt they value a pure pass rusher over their usual "jack of all trades master of none" player they seem to target.

You're probably right. Quinn and Patrica certainly value the low ceiling type of player who fits their scheme more than just taking the BPA. They'll justify the pass rush getting better because of the scheme and guys understanding it better next season.

I can see the press conference now . . .

Wojo: So Bob, given that you had the 2nd worse pass rush in the league last season, why did you guys decide to pass on a dynamic pass rusher like Chase Young and go with the kid out of Clemson, the Safety, Isiah Simmons?

Quinn: Well you know what Bob, um, that's a um, that's a decision that Coach Patricia, the staff, and I made together. We really like the versatility of a guy like Isiah and think he can really um, do a lot for us on the football field. You've also got to, um, you've got to find guys who fit the culture and mentality you're trying to instill here. We feel he's a great fit in that regard. As for the pass rush, we feel we have the right guys and the right scheme in place, you know, um, to go and fix that.

• Thanks 1

It's funny to me that Avila has almost no supporters on the Tigers forum, but aside from the justifiable criticism that they are not doing enough for the current team, when I look at the long term direction of the team I find that I agree with all the things he is doing. OTOH, at this point I just don't anything in Quinn's 4 years other than a steady backslide both on the field but also in the long term direction of the team building process. 

Chris Petersen is available.     Though maybe in another year. 

He won two Pac-12 titles and had a playoff appearance with Washington.    He turned Boise State into a nationally relevant program capable of beating good Power 5 teams.          We could do worse.      He might want to go to the pros.    If I was making a list of Patricia replacements,  he'd be in my Top 5.   

Give me the right coordinators and assistants and I'll take almost any Head Coach.  Their ability to find and hire those people are one of, if not the most important aspect of their job. 

I would consider Rivera. Outside of that Super Bowl year, he actually has a sub 500 record and is 1-3 in the playoffs. That one playoff win was when the Panthers were 7-8-1 and beat an Arizona team with their 3rd string QB. Maybe bring him as a defensive coordinator with a new coach?