Motor City Sonics

Coaching Candidates

36 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

“He’s doing stuff. I’m really excited about him,” Carroll said. “As a good player that’s got experience and good wherewithal and all that, he helps other players. He’s doing it. The confidence that comes from knowing he knows the game and knows what’s going on.”

That's Pete Carroll talking about Quandre Diggs.    

The Lions traded Diggs for a 5th round pick..........Why?   Because he spoke up about how bad this team's scheme was.     Get rid of this stupid Patriot Way cult.    I hope the Bears beat them 45-6 in front of the whole country on Thursday.   I absolutely hate these guys.  

According to PFF the two highest rated Seahawk defenders Sunday were Diggs and Ansah.   

I can't imagine Martha letting Bob Quinn go at this stage .. and I don't think Quinn will cut bait on Patricia this early. I also question whether constantly changing coaches while putting shlubs on the field will have any impact.  That said, Brian Schottenheimer or Eric Bienemy would intrigue me.  On the college level, PJ Fleck.

The problem I have with Bienemy is that he doesn't call the plays in KC, Andy Reid does. That said, the Reid coaching tree has fared fare better than the Belechik tree.

getting rid of ansah was a no brainer.

trading diggs 1/4 of the way through the season and when you were still competing (pre stafford injury) to swap late round picks now appears to be questionable.

40 minutes ago, djhutch said:

I can't imagine Martha letting Bob Quinn go at this stage .. and I don't think Quinn will cut bait on Patricia this early. I also question whether constantly changing coaches while putting shlubs on the field will have any impact.  That said, Brian Schottenheimer or Eric Bienemy would intrigue me.  On the college level, PJ Fleck.

I don't want anyone who has never been a Head Coach in the pros or high college level.   I don't think PJ Fleck's schtick would work in the NFL.  I think he's a great college coach, but it wouldn't translate.      At this point I'd take Al Golden over what we currently have.  At least he's been a Head Coach.    

I want a talking Matt Patricial doll for Christmas.   You pull the string and he says the same thing every time - whether it makes sense or not.     Because he's a genius. 

I don’t think the Lions make a change but I’d love to be wrong. 

Robert Saleh is doing historical things with the 49ers defense and will be the hot assistant.  He’s from Dearborn and went to Northern.   

It's 10:15 am and Patricia is still employed

Doug Karsch just read Mitchell Trubisky's QB-Rating game by game this year

vs. GB  62.1

DEN  70.0

WAS  116.5

MIN   70.1

OAK  (INJURED)

NO    86.3

LAC  75.1

PHI 66.6

DET  131.0

LAR   65.1

NYG  69.0

DET 118.1

The defensive genius can't even stop Mitch Trubisky...................Why is he still employed?  

On 11/28/2019 at 9:01 AM, Hongbit said:

I don’t think the Lions make a change but I’d love to be wrong. 

Robert Saleh is doing historical things with the 49ers defense and will be the hot assistant.  He’s from Dearborn and went to Northern.   

The tendy coordinator is always more appealing than the established coach. Jim Caldwell was as dull as they come but the players played hard for him and he won. It seems like we need to be inspired by a hired instead of just hiring a good coach. Matt Patricia was once the defensive guru and hot assistant. 

I never understood the appeal with Patricia to begin with considering the Patriots were never known for their defense or defensive creativity.   Even though it was only a couple years ago I don't really remember much about the whole coaching search, was he our number 1 choice the whole time or just the "consolation prize"?  

24 minutes ago, RandyMarsh said:

I never understood the appeal with Patricia to begin with considering the Patriots were never known for their defense or defensive creativity.   Even though it was only a couple years ago I don't really remember much about the whole coaching search, was he our number 1 choice the whole time or just the "consolation prize"?  

He was the Lions first choice. The Giants were also interested. Patricia had also been offered the Cleveland job and turned it down. 

Why not Bevell for head coach? He got a career year out of an old Brett Favre, scouted and developed Russell Wilson, and had Stafford playing at an MVP level. His offense has had success everywhere he's gone. He's got a chemistry with Stafford. Pat Shurmur has less of a resume and has had two head coaching jobs now. It's not the flashy pick but it makes sense. 

49 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The tendy coordinator is always more appealing than the established coach. Jim Caldwell was as dull as they come but the players played hard for him and he won. It seems like we need to be inspired by a hired instead of just hiring a good coach. Matt Patricia was once the defensive guru and hot assistant. 

given how much better new england's defense has been since he left, perhaps it was a mistake to call him a defensive genius?

if you come in as a defensive coach, it looks really bad that your defense is one of the worst in the league.

2 minutes ago, Buddha said:

given how much better new england's defense has been since he left, perhaps it was a mistake to call him a defensive genius?

Last year the Lions had the 10th ranked defense and New England 21st. I'm not sure New England sporting a top defense a year removed from Patricia leaving is proof he has a poor coordinator. 

1 minute ago, Motown Bombers said:

Last year the Lions had the 10th ranked defense and New England 21st. I'm not sure New England sporting a top defense a year removed from Patricia leaving is proof he has a poor coordinator. 

you just like to fight about everything.  its really ******* annoying sometimes.  i mean, you keep saying that you want patricia fired and everyone agrees with you and you STILL go out of your way to argue with people about it.  we agree for ****s sake!  stop fighting over every ******** line in a post.

but if you must pick a fight, so be it.  football outsiders had the lions defense ranked 27th last year and the pats as 16th.  the year before that - patricia's last year with the pats - detroit ranked 19th and the pats ranked 31st.  dead ******* last.  this year the pats are 1st and the lions are 24th.  

so in his time away from new england they have gone from dead last with him, to middle of the road the year after he left, to one of the best in history.

meanwhile the lions have gone from middle of the road to bottom third in the league.

can you agree with me that this is bad by patricia?  or must you nit pick this too?

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

you just like to fight about everything.  its really ******* annoying sometimes.  i mean, you keep saying that you want patricia fired and everyone agrees with you and you STILL go out of your way to argue with people about it.  we agree for ****s sake!  stop fighting over every ******** line in a post.

but if you must pick a fight, so be it.  football outsiders had the lions defense ranked 27th last year and the pats as 16th.  the year before that - patricia's last year with the pats - detroit ranked 19th and the pats ranked 31st.  dead ******* last.  this year the pats are 1st and the lions are 24th.  

so in his time away from new england they have gone from dead last with him, to middle of the road the year after he left, to one of the best in history.

meanwhile the lions have gone from middle of the road to bottom third in the league.

can you agree with me that this is bad by patricia?  or must you nit pick this too?

You could always ignore me if you get this butthurt about my posts. To be fair, Patricia was the defensive coordinator prior to 2017 and the Patriots defense was up and down like most defenses. Defenses, even the best ones, are a lot of the times all over the place. I would prefer to hire an offensive coach over a defensive coach anyways. I don't think the Patriots defense a year removed from Patricia means anything. 

I will say that the Patriots have played some terrible teams this year, they really have only played 2 good offenses and they gave up 37 in one of those games.   

Mike Vrabel had one of the worst defenses in Houston when he got hired. Houston in his first year gone finished with a top 10 defense. He has so far put up back to back winning seasons. Defensive rankings don't mean much to me. Patricia's claim to fame was his hybrid defense and I haven't seen any of that. 

25 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I don't think the Patriots defense a year removed from Patricia means anything. 

I think it does mean at least one thing - his presence there was not critical.

I would hire the GM first, and my pick for that would be Chris Spielman.  Let him make his own hires.

On 11/26/2019 at 3:49 PM, Mr.TaterSalad said:

The problem I have with Bienemy is that he doesn't call the plays in KC, Andy Reid does. That said, the Reid coaching tree has fared fare better than the Belechik tree.

Actually Bienemy is calling the plays this year.

3 minutes ago, cruzer1 said:

I would hire the GM first, and my pick for that would be Chris Spielman.  Let him make his own hires.

They need to hire an experienced GM this time around.