Motor City Sonics

Coaching Candidates

18 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Aaron Curry was highly regarded, but most thought he couldn't go #1 because it tied too much money up on a linebacker.

Also, he was a linebacker from Wake Forest.

12 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Why am I not surprised by the people who would have picked Aaron Curry or Mark Sanchez or traded for Jay Cutler over Stafford?

Anyway, for the last time, I did not suggest that Bob Quinn should make a “bold move” just to make a move. 

I said that he is playing it too safe in his drafts and his record shows it. 

Ryan Pace made a few bold moves. One paid off and his team made a playoff run. Another did not.

If you think you’re working for a franchise where missing the playoffs for three or four years will probably get you fired, you better do everything you can to get to the playoffs. If you think you’ll get as long as Bill Belichick has gotten at NE, well, go ahead and arbitrage your aging and expensive vets for mid-round draft picks. 

For the record, I never had Curry or Sanchez ahead of Stafford. I only had Cutler ahead of Stafford because Cutler was already a Pro Bowl QB and only 25 years old. He seemed like a sure thing.

Ryan Pace has as many playoff appearances as Quinn does in more seasons. He has a worse record than Quinn. Pace has missed the playoffs likely 4 out of 5 seasons. He spent huge dollars on an underperforming pass rusher, traded away multiple 1st round picks, and passed on two elite QBs. I'm just not sure where you are going with this. His moves have been worse than Quinn's.

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

For the record, I never had Curry or Sanchez ahead of Stafford. I only had Cutler ahead of Stafford because Cutler was already a Pro Bowl QB and only 25 years old. He seemed like a sure thing.

Ryan Pace has as many playoff appearances as Quinn does in more seasons. He has a worse record than Quinn. Pace has missed the playoffs likely 4 out of 5 seasons. He spent huge dollars on an underperforming pass rusher, traded away multiple 1st round picks, and passed on two elite QBs. I'm just not sure where you are going with this. His moves have been worse than Quinn's.

Quinn does not deserve a significant deal of credit for putting together the team that went to the playoffs in his first season. 

His moves are responsible for turning a team that had been competitive, but not excellent, into a team that is barely competitive. 

He brought in a "defensive genius" as head coach who currently presides over the worst defense in the league, and who appears to have alienated some of his best players.

One could argue they are just a few injuries and a blown 2nd round draft pick away from being improved over the team he inherited. And I do think that he and Patricia should get one more year (unless there is a clear and obvious upgrade available.) But I think you're drinking the kool-aid to think Quinn has accomplished anything worth defending.

15 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Quinn does not deserve a significant deal of credit for putting together the team that went to the playoffs in his first season. 

His moves are responsible for turning a team that had been competitive, but not excellent, into a team that is barely competitive. 

He brought in a "defensive genius" as head coach who currently presides over the worst defense in the league, and who appears to have alienated some of his best players.

One could argue they are just a few injuries and a blown 2nd round draft pick away from being improved over the team he inherited. And I do think that he and Patricia should get one more year (unless there is a clear and obvious upgrade available.) But I think you're drinking the kool-aid to think Quinn has accomplished anything worth defending.

I'm talking about this ridiculous notion of having to make a bold move just for the sake of making a bold move. The Bears have been worse than the Lions during Pace's tenure but that's ok because he made a bold move and made the playoffs once and lost to an inferior team at home.

Pace brought in the offensive genius Matt Nagy and Chicago has one of the worst offenses in the league.

quinn brought in the defensive genius matt patricia and detroit had the worst defense in the league.

your move chicago!

37 minutes ago, Buddha said:

quinn brought in the defensive genius matt patricia and detroit had the worst defense in the league.

your move chicago!

That was already noted in the post I quoted. I was responding to that point. Follow along.

38 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

That was already noted in the post I quoted. I was responding to that point. Follow along.

learn how to take a joke.  lol.

On 11/19/2019 at 10:52 AM, Motor City Sonics said:

Dareel Bevell will be elevated to Interim Head Coach. 

Just want to address this, I would think it would be Paul P. 

Has HC experience, allows Bevell just to focus on the offense and then if they lose a bunch he's not saddled with that heading into looking for a new job. 

i dont think quinn and patricia will be fired because i think the lions will win their next two games.

7 hours ago, Buddha said:

i dont think quinn and patricia will be fired because i think the lions will win their next two games.

wrong again.

• Haha 2

the lions should go to the nfl and ask them for help finding a front office leader.  at least that way the nfl might have a modicum of a stake in the lions' success and might stop having the refs **** them every year.

1 hour ago, Buddha said:

the lions should go to the nfl and ask them for help finding a front office leader.  at least that way the nfl might have a modicum of a stake in the lions' success and might stop having the refs **** them every year.

They did when they hired Quinn. 

1 hour ago, Motown Bombers said:

They did when they hired Quinn. 

and what would you do?

On 11/22/2019 at 2:38 PM, Jason_R said:

One could argue they are just a few injuries and a blown 2nd round draft pick away

every NFL team is just a few injuries from being better than it is.  With 16 games, plus exhibitions plus playoffs (soon to be 17 ) building depth is probably as important as anything a GM needs to be doing.

On 11/22/2019 at 2:58 PM, Motown Bombers said:

I'm talking about this ridiculous notion of having to make a bold move just for the sake of making a bold move. The Bears have been worse than the Lions during Pace's tenure but that's ok because he made a bold move and made the playoffs once and lost to an inferior team at home.

Pace brought in the offensive genius Matt Nagy and Chicago has one of the worst offenses in the league.

Either you don’t know how to read, or you are intentionally distorting my words. 

Your boy Quinn has been here long enough to leave his stamp on the roster. And he has. His highest picks have so far been mediocre at best, and busts at worst. Because he has sat back and waited for players to come to him. 

In four years, he has not acquired a true franchise player. 

Who is the best player he’s brought in over four drafts? Kenny Golladay? A good #2 WR? In the third round? When he picked Tabor in the second, and passed over Juju Smith-Schuster?

Your guy is not going to cut it drafting like that. He’s had four years to bring in a cornerstone player, but it seems like, as a result of sitting on his hands, the team will get a crack at it the old fashioned way — by finishing at the bottom of the league. 

Patricia and Quinn are both getting another year. They just are, I don't like it , you might not like it. But it is pointless arguing who the Lions should bring in or what other bad GM/Coach combo compares to the Lions.

Mooch was fired with the same record as Patricia.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Either you don’t know how to read, or you are intentionally distorting my words. 

Your boy Quinn has been here long enough to leave his stamp on the roster. And he has. His highest picks have so far been mediocre at best, and busts at worst. Because he has sat back and waited for players to come to him. 

In four years, he has not acquired a true franchise player. 

Who is the best player he’s brought in over four drafts? Kenny Golladay? A good #2 WR? In the third round? When he picked Tabor in the second, and passed over Juju Smith-Schuster?

Your guy is not going to cut it drafting like that. He’s had four years to bring in a cornerstone player, but it seems like, as a result of sitting on his hands, the team will get a crack at it the old fashioned way — by finishing at the bottom of the league. 

Speaking of not know how to read or intentionally distorting words, this whole word salad is a perfect example. This isn't about Bob Quinn. It was about the Bears making a bold move and putting themselves in a worse position going forward just so they could get that one playoff appearance.

The Lions have a true franchise player. They need better players around him and depth. There was a time the Lions had three franchise players and it resulted in nothing. Anyways, the point is, there would be no way you would be praising him if he traded two firsts and spent $140 million on an underperforming pass rusher. You just complained about passing on JuJu for Tabor when Chicago was bold and traded up for Trubisky and passed on franchise players such as Mahomes and Watson.

10 hours ago, Buddha said:

and what would you do?

The same? What's the question? Martha went to the NFL and consulted with Ernie Accorsi and interviewed multiple qualified candidates from winning teams. She did every thing right. Hiring a GM is a crapshoot.

36 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Speaking of not know how to read or intentionally distorting words, this whole word salad is a perfect example. This isn't about Bob Quinn. It was about the Bears making a bold move and putting themselves in a worse position going forward just so they could get that one playoff appearance.

The Lions have a true franchise player. They need better players around him and depth. There was a time the Lions had three franchise players and it resulted in nothing. Anyways, the point is, there would be no way you would be praising him if he traded two firsts and spent $140 million on an underperforming pass rusher. You just complained about passing on JuJu for Tabor when Chicago was bold and traded up for Trubisky and passed on franchise players such as Mahomes and Watson.

You do not win with one franchise player. When the Lions fielded their best team in a generation, they had three franchise players.

Go ahead and defend Bob Quinn as a genius and the future of the franchise. Maybe he will earn us another franchise player the old fashioned way... by assembling the worst team in the league. But at least they had depth. 

1 minute ago, Jason_R said:

You do not win with one franchise player. When the Lions fielded their best team in a generation, they had three franchise players.

Go ahead and defend Bob Quinn as a genius and the future of the franchise. Maybe he will earn us another franchise player the old fashioned way... by assembling the worst team in the league. But at least they had depth. 

Again, there goes that reading comprehension. My point is, what team has had sustained success trading multiple first round picks for a "franchise" player that wasn't a QB? The Rams may be in the same boat as the Bears trading away 1st round picks for a CB.

4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

The same? What's the question? Martha went to the NFL and consulted with Ernie Accorsi and interviewed multiple qualified candidates from winning teams. She did every thing right. Hiring a GM is a crapshoot.

unfortunately it is for the lions.  :(

“He’s doing stuff. I’m really excited about him,” Carroll said. “As a good player that’s got experience and good wherewithal and all that, he helps other players. He’s doing it. The confidence that comes from knowing he knows the game and knows what’s going on.”

That's Pete Carroll talking about Quandre Diggs.    

The Lions traded Diggs for a 5th round pick..........Why?   Because he spoke up about how bad this team's scheme was.     Get rid of this stupid Patriot Way cult.    I hope the Bears beat them 45-6 in front of the whole country on Thursday.   I absolutely hate these guys.