Motor City Sonics

Coaching Candidates

3 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

LOL now it's guts. We would rather have a GM that blows the 3rd overall pick but has guts. If any team has guts, it's Oakland. They dusted off Gruden and traded their stars and were universally panned. Now, those players are starting to develop and Gruden has Carr playing at a high level. The Raiders may make the playoff before the Bears. 

Also ironic is that the Lions are criticized for having the defensive genius and a poor defense when Chicago has an offensive genius who can't develop their #2 overall pick and has one of the worst offenses. 

Quinn has made the playoffs. He didn't need to trade two first round picks for it. 

oh come on.  

1) the bears have already made the playoffs so im not sure how the raiders can make it before them.  that said, the raiders are looking a lot better than the tire fire many predicted.

2) quinn "made the playoffs" with mayhew's team.  as the team has developed into quinn's team with more and more of his picks and his coach, its gotten worse even as his franchise player has gotten better (this year).

3) i dont disagree with you regarding ryan pace's "guts."  trading up for trubisky is going to get him fired.  but i think pace has done a nice job in the later rounds of finding good players and building a good team.  but he made the cardinal mistake at the most important position and it has killed his team this year.  they have a super bowl defense and a pop warner offense.

4) im not sure the lions could have traded for mack (im not saying you said they could have) because with stafford's salary it might have been prohibitive to sign him.  but if they did, he probably would have given them a much better defense last year.

that said, mack hasnt exactly set the world on fire this year and that contract is really really expensive...

12 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

LOL now it's guts. We would rather have a GM that blows the 3rd overall pick but has guts. If any team has guts, it's Oakland. They dusted off Gruden and traded their stars and were universally panned. Now, those players are starting to develop and Gruden has Carr playing at a high level. The Raiders may make the playoff before the Bears. 

The Raiders are almost identical to the Lions.  Good offense and broken defense.   The difference is they play in a division with the Chargers and Broncos and had the luxury of having the Lions, Bengals, and Jets on their schedule.   I doubt they would be any better than 3-6-1 if they played in the NFC North 

1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

The Raiders are almost identical to the Lions.  Good offense and broken defense.   The difference is they play in a division with the Chargers and Broncos and had the luxury of having the Lions, Bengals, and Jets on their schedule.   I doubt they would be any better than 3-6-1 if they played in the NFC North 

I still think their future looks better than the Bears right now. They have multiple 1st round picks left to improve their defense and have a much better QB. The Bears for the 2nd straight year won't have a 1st round pick barring a trade. I'm just not sure the Bears are the ones to use as an example. They got one good season relying on a defense that scored a lot of points. Kudos for them but the Bears this year were the Bears I expected last year.

32 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I still think their future looks better than the Bears right now. They have multiple 1st round picks left to improve their defense and have a much better QB. The Bears for the 2nd straight year won't have a 1st round pick barring a trade. I'm just not sure the Bears are the ones to use as an example. They got one good season relying on a defense that scored a lot of points. Kudos for them but the Bears this year were the Bears I expected last year.

would you rather be the lions or the bears?

8 minutes ago, Buddha said:

would you rather be the lions or the bears?

The Lions. Give me Stafford over Trubisky. Pretty easy decision honestly. The Lions almost beat the Bears with Driskel.

11 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

The Lions. Give me Stafford over Trubisky. Pretty easy decision honestly. The Lions almost beat the Bears with Driskel.

bears are going to get rid of trubisky and then they'll be better.

i'd rather be the bears cause they went 12-4 last year than be the lions who have never won the division.  they also have a good defense and we do not.

and as bad as trubisky is, he's lit up the lions the last two times he's played them.

btw, it brings me great joy to see the bears lose and have to listen to all the local slappies who predicted them to be 13-3 this year eat their crow.

as a lions fan, all i have to make me happy is other people's pain.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Buddha said:

bears are going to get rid of trubisky and then they'll be better.

i'd rather be the bears cause they went 12-4 last year than be the lions who have never won the division.  they also have a good defense and we do not.

Wake me when they do. Maybe they'll trade multiple draft picks for Cutler? They'll likely end up with the corpse of Philip Rivers or Eli Manning. Don't really care what they did last year. Last year is more of an outlier.

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Wake me when they do. Maybe they'll trade multiple draft picks for Cutler? They'll likely end up with the corpse of Philip Rivers or Eli Manning. Don't really care what they did last year. Last year is more of an outlier.

i'd be very happy if the lions had that type of "outlier" year rather than being medicore at best almost every year.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i'd be very happy if the lions had that type of "outlier" year rather than being medicore at best almost every year.

They did in 2014.

Just now, Motown Bombers said:

They did in 2014.

the year they didnt win the division?

i would have rather been the lions than the bears in 2014.  but we dont have calvin or suh anymore.

you cant honestly be happy with this season are you?  are you really pleased with quinn?

37 minutes ago, Buddha said:

the year they didnt win the division?

i would have rather been the lions than the bears in 2014.  but we dont have calvin or suh anymore.

you cant honestly be happy with this season are you?  are you really pleased with quinn?

No but I'm not envious of the Bears and their bold moves that left them without a 1st round pick and a potential bust at QB.

The NFC was also better in 2014 than it was last year. The Lions were an 11 win team and the last team in the playoffs. The outcome was still the same. The Lions had a great defense and lost a close playoff game they should have won. Also, the 12 win Bears were at home against a 9 win team without their starting QB and still lost. The Lions were on the road against a 12 win team and should have won if not for bad officiating.

21 hours ago, Buddha said:

this is more than likely what will happen, but i dont think it should make a difference.  the exact things that quinn has supposedly targeted to be the strengths of the team are the weaknesses: poor running game, cant stop the run.  which is not to say they can stop the pass because they can't do that either.

nothing quinn has done leads me to believe he has the franchise heading in the right direction.  a couple good draft picks (golladay, walker looks ok) doesnt make up for the lack of high end talent at any position other than qb and maybe wr and maybe slay.  and he had nothing to do with stafford or slay.

so if he stays another year what do we get?  another left tackle from iowa in round one?  an sec cornerback?  does that really move the needle for this team?

or do you figure that if stafford were healthy they win the last two games and are 5-4-1 going into an easier stretch of games and that they should have been right there?

either way, its hard for me to justify him staying considering you have a good franchise qb and you STILL cant come close to winning the division, much less the playoffs.

Not that Quinn has been A+ material but this is more a coaching/scheme issue than a GM issue IMO.

Think about it, Quinn has used a lot of resources on players who were very good at their previous stops. Flowers was one of the highest rated DEs last season and the eye test matched, dude was living in the backfield last season. Harrison was the premier run stuffer in the league, Coleman the best slot corner, Daniels still a high level player, they have used a 1st and 2nd rounder to fill out the linebacker corp., Slay is a proven top 10 if not top 5 corner. While the talk of top 10 defense was a little rich, there's no way in **** this should be the worst defense in the league relative to talent level even with the injuries.

My issue with Quinn was his refusal to address the O-Line and thus forcing their top 10 pick to block most of the time because the tackles need all the help they can get instead of abusing linebackers in the slot like he has done the few times they had him running pass route.  He also didn't sign or draft a true edge rusher which was head scratching but I think this is a team that should be better defensively than they've shown.

With all that said, there's no way that Patricia is getting the axe only 2 years in. As frustrating as this recent stretch has been, the Lions have been very competitive even after Stafford went down so I don't think they are THAT far off from being a good team. What they need is an offseason to build up that defense with the cap space and draft and get Kerryon healthy (he hasn't been healthy all year even when he was in). I'd also settle for Pasqualoni getting the boot, somebody has to take the fall for the failures of this defense that on paper should be better.

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

few bears fans are pissed about the mack trade, it helped get them to 12-4 and a nfc north title.  i doubt many lions fans would be pissed with that result seeing as the lions have NEVER won the nfc north.

few bears arent pissed at the trubisky trade.  the fact that the bears have been as good as they have been with that horrible qb even makes it starker at what a poor job quinn has done in putting a team around a very good qb.

They had a fluke year where they caused an absurd amount of turnovers and feasted on a division that was down, it was entirely unsustainable and completely predictable that they would fall back to earth this season. The Bears are hardly a franchise to aspire to be.

On the other hand, a team like the Vikings that is loaded at every position is an example of a well built team that can sustain long term success.

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

They had a fluke year where they caused an absurd amount of turnovers and feasted, it was entirely unsustainable and completely predictable that they would fall back to earth this season. The Bears are hardly a franchise to aspire to be.

On the other hand, a team like the Vikings that is loaded at every position is an example of a well built team that can sustain long term success.

There’s really not a lot of long term success in this league.   

3 hours ago, NYLion said:

Not that Quinn has been A+ material but this is more a coaching/scheme issue than a GM issue IMO.

Think about it, Quinn has used a lot of resources on players who were very good at their previous stops. Flowers was one of the highest rated DEs last season and the eye test matched, dude was living in the backfield last season. Harrison was the premier run stuffer in the league, Coleman the best slot corner, Daniels still a high level player, they have used a 1st and 2nd rounder to fill out the linebacker corp., Slay is a proven top 10 if not top 5 corner. While the talk of top 10 defense was a little rich, there's no way in **** this should be the worst defense in the league relative to talent level even with the injuries.

My issue with Quinn was his refusal to address the O-Line and thus forcing their top 10 pick to block most of the time because the tackles need all the help they can get instead of abusing linebackers in the slot like he has done the few times they had him running pass route.  He also didn't sign or draft a true edge rusher which was head scratching but I think this is a team that should be better defensively than they've shown.

With all that said, there's no way that Patricia is getting the axe only 2 years in. As frustrating as this recent stretch has been, the Lions have been very competitive even after Stafford went down so I don't think they are THAT far off from being a good team. What they need is an offseason to build up that defense with the cap space and draft and get Kerryon healthy (he hasn't been healthy all year even when he was in). I'd also settle for Pasqualoni getting the boot, somebody has to take the fall for the failures of this defense that on paper should be better.

quinn has drafted two offensive linemen in the first round and another in the third.  then spent huge money on a right guard and a right tackle.  

he did address the offensive line, he just didnt do it effectively.

• Like 1

Frank Ragnow is one of the better Center's in the league and Decker is solid if not unspectacular. Wagner just hasn't been good. Glasgow has also been solid considering his draft position.

No but I'm not envious of the Bears and their bold moves that left them without a 1st round pick and a potential bust at QB.

The NFC was also better in 2014 than it was last year. The Lions were an 11 win team and the last team in the playoffs. The outcome was still the same. The Lions had a great defense and lost a close playoff game they should have won. Also, the 12 win Bears were at home against a 9 win team without their starting QB and still lost. The Lions were on the road against a 12 win team and should have won if not for bad officiating.

i think that khalil mack trade worked out well for the bears.  it was a major catalyst to winning the division last year.

there's definitely a hierarchy in the nfc north, and the lions are on the bottom of it.

3 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Frank Ragnow is one of the better Center's in the league and Decker is solid if not unspectacular. Wagner just hasn't been good. Glasgow has also been solid considering his draft position.

theyre so good that the lions are one of the worst teams in the league at running the ball.

the lions are 3-6-1 and headed towards another season of nothing and all you do is argue with people who think they might not be awesome.  i dont get it.

3 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i think that khalil mack trade worked out well for the bears.  it was a major catalyst to winning the division last year.

there's definitely a hierarchy in the nfc north, and the lions are on the bottom of it.

Two first round draft picks to win a division and lose in the wild card round of the playoffs to an inferior team with a backup QB. Color me impressed with that move.

theyre so good that the lions are one of the worst teams in the league at running the ball.

the lions are 3-6-1 and headed towards another season of nothing and all you do is argue with people who think they might not be awesome.  i dont get it.

I don't get why you think the Bears are the team to aspire to be. The Bears are heading towards another season of nothing and uncertainty of who their QB will be.

You want to hear something funny? Khalil Mack has only 0.5 more sacks than Flowers. At least Quinn didn't give two first round picks for Flowers.

51 minutes ago, Buddha said:

quinn has drafted two offensive linemen in the first round and another in the third.  then spent huge money on a right guard and a right tackle.  

he did address the offensive line, he just didnt do it effectively.

I was talking about this offseason specifically. His O-Line drafting has been fine (Ragnow and Glasgow are good enough), it's the tackles that are the bigger problem and the guard opposite of Glasgow.

I think part of the problem with the running game is the running backs. Kerryon hasn't been healthy all season (you can clearly see his lack of burst compared to last season) and the backups have been putrid. Hopefully Scarbrough is a keeper, I liked him coming out of college but just can't stay healthy.

The Bears are almost the same pitiful franchise except they’ve had 2 more great seasons in the last 50 years than the Lions.  

Two first round draft picks to win a division and lose in the wild card round of the playoffs to an inferior team with a backup QB. Color me impressed with that move.

I don't get why you think the Bears are the team to aspire to be. The Bears are heading towards another season of nothing and uncertainty of who their QB will be.

i dont think the bears are the franchise the lions should aspire to be.  i think the bears suck.

and having said all that, theyre better than the lions!