Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

Coaching Candidates

Recommended Posts

20 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Exactly. He can't play until he heals. Did I misread your post? Do you mean done for the season or done as in for his career? Yes he should certainly be done for this season. Since he should not practice or work-out in any meaningful way, once he is cleared for activity he'll be out of football conditioning so this season should certainly be done. But barring unreported complications this is something that should fully heal before next season.

Looks like I picked the wrong week to see the Lions play for the first time. 

I mean, they’ll probably still beat the Washington R-words, but I kinda wanted to see Stafford. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Exactly. He can't play until he heals. Did I misread your post? Do you mean done for the season or done as in for his career? Yes he should certainly be done for this season. Since he should not practice or work-out in any meaningful way, once he is cleared for activity he'll be out of football conditioning so this season should certainly be done. But barring unreported complications this is something that should fully heal before next season.

im worried this will end his career like it ended romo's career.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Buddha said:

im worried this will end his career like it ended romo's career.

Was Romo's career ended more by his back or by his contract?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Was Romo's career ended more by his back or by his contract?

romo couldnt play anymore because of his back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the Lions lose to Washington and then to Chicago on Thanksgiving, I think Quinn and Patricia will be fired with that 10 day break.  Dareel Bevell will be elevated to Interim Head Coach.      

Patricia is a joke.    Worst defense in the league and that's supposed to be his strength.    

 

What's making them look even worse is that Driskell is playing pretty well and is not the reason they lost the last 2 games.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If the Lions lose to Washington and then to Chicago on Thanksgiving, I think Quinn and Patricia will be fired with that 10 day break.  Dareel Bevell will be elevated to Interim Head Coach.      

Patricia is a joke.    Worst defense in the league and that's supposed to be his strength.    

 

What's making them look even worse is that Driskell is playing pretty well and is not the reason they lost the last 2 games.  

I get that’s what many of us would like to see happen but is there anything that leads you to believe whoever is making this decision for the Lions is leaning towards firing both and doing it in season?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, Hongbit said:

I get that’s what many of us would like to see happen but is there anything that leads you to believe whoever is making this decision for the Lions is leaning towards firing both and doing it in season?  

i dont.  however, she did fire mayhew and lewand halfway through the season after an embarassing loss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think Quinn and Patrica will go to Rod and Martha and use the "Stafford got injured" excuse and buy themselves another year. MCS is right that Driskell isn't the reason they are losing, but I still think that excuse is going to buy them more time.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i dont.  however, she did fire mayhew and lewand halfway through the season after an embarassing loss.

True.  She also didn’t hire either of them so she wasn’t admitting her own error by firing them.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I think Quinn and Patrica will go to Rod and Martha and use the "Stafford got injured" excuse and buy themselves another year. MCS is right that Driskell isn't the reason they are losing, but I still think that excuse is going to buy them more time.

this is more than likely what will happen, but i dont think it should make a difference.  the exact things that quinn has supposedly targeted to be the strengths of the team are the weaknesses: poor running game, cant stop the run.  which is not to say they can stop the pass because they can't do that either.

nothing quinn has done leads me to believe he has the franchise heading in the right direction.  a couple good draft picks (golladay, walker looks ok) doesnt make up for the lack of high end talent at any position other than qb and maybe wr and maybe slay.  and he had nothing to do with stafford or slay.

so if he stays another year what do we get?  another left tackle from iowa in round one?  an sec cornerback?  does that really move the needle for this team?

or do you figure that if stafford were healthy they win the last two games and are 5-4-1 going into an easier stretch of games and that they should have been right there?

either way, its hard for me to justify him staying considering you have a good franchise qb and you STILL cant come close to winning the division, much less the playoffs.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

look what the packers have done in one season with a new head coach and a couple of free agent acquisitions on defense and look what the lions have done.

look what the vikings have done in three or four years to build that defense up and make the offense work even though their oline isnt that great and their qb isnt as good as detroit's.

the freakin bears went 12-4 last year with a TERRIBLE qb after 4 years of drafting high.  their gm at least built a talented defense and the defensive end they got made a huge difference whereas the won the lions got has not.

what has quinn done to keep his job?  to me, nothing, regardless of stafford being hurt.  he's WASTED stafford.  and now it might be too late if his injury is serious.

fire him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Quinn got everything he wanted this season. His head coach, his coordinators on offense and defense, his players married to his coaches scheme, and a blank checkbook in free agency the team still blows. No being suck with Caldwell or Coioter, no conservative off-season approach this year, no drafting players to fit anyone else's scheme but their own. 2019 was the year Quinn got everyone and everything he wanted coaching wise and went out and spent big in free agency and it hasn't worked. This team from the GM on down has both philosophical and concrete problems with the way they operate and how they are built. Would I blow up if Quinn came back next season, no, but I also don't see a pathway to success in the near future that warrants keeping him here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Hongbit said:

I get that’s what many of us would like to see happen but is there anything that leads you to believe whoever is making this decision for the Lions is leaning towards firing both and doing it in season?  

Because there were more Cowboys fans at last week's game and there would probably more Bears fans at Thanksgiving. 

Apathy is the enemy.   If your fanbase turns against you and you do nothing - you lose them next year too.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Because there were more Cowboys fans at last week's game and there would probably more Bears fans at Thanksgiving. 

Apathy is the enemy.   If your fanbase turns against you and you do nothing - you lose them next year too.   

Yeah, that was a problem. If Patricia's team lays an egg again on Thanksgiving, on national TV, and the stadium is full of booing Lions fans and "DEFENSE" chants when the Lions have the ball, all bets are off.

The problem with Quinn is that you don't win by picking the safest player at your slot in each draft. You need to be aggressive to get a playmaker. The Bears rolled the dice on Mack, and came up big. They also rolled the dice on Trubisky and it was a mistake. But guess what? Their big play for Mack still got them to the playoffs in spite of missing on Trubisky. 

Quinn has waited for players to come to him, and that's not how you get players in the NFL.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If the Lions lose to Washington and then to Chicago on Thanksgiving, I think Quinn and Patricia will be fired with that 10 day break.  Dareel Bevell will be elevated to Interim Head Coach.      

Patricia is a joke.    Worst defense in the league and that's supposed to be his strength.    

 

What's making them look even worse is that Driskell is playing pretty well and is not the reason they lost the last 2 games.  

I would feel better moving forward in which Bevell finishes out the season. IMO with the way Driskel has played, makes it even more obvious that MP & BQ needs to go.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Because there were more Cowboys fans at last week's game and there would probably more Bears fans at Thanksgiving. 

Apathy is the enemy.   If your fanbase turns against you and you do nothing - you lose them next year too.   

That’s a good point.   Empty seats are bad but seats filled with the opposition are an embarrassment.   I hope they pull the trigger on both of these clowns and give someone else a shot to same old Lion it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Because there were more Cowboys fans at last week's game and there would probably more Bears fans at Thanksgiving. 

Apathy is the enemy.   If your fanbase turns against you and you do nothing - you lose them next year too.   

wait until the packers come to town on the last week of the season...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, Buddha said:

wait until the packers come to town on the last week of the season...

Hey,  Quinn dug his own grave by firing a coach who had a winning record 3 out of 4 years and saying "9-7 isn't good enough".  Well, if you say that you'd better come up with something more than 6 wins seasons in your first couple of years.    It's Patricia's own stubbornness that will cost him.  Dude, your defensive scheme is a disaster - you've got the talent to be better but you won't let them play and don't give me any nonsense that it's Pasqueloni (sp?),   it's YOUR defense and we all know it

I just can't stand it.  That smugness,   you can be that when you are Bill Belichick and maybe Pete Carroll, but nobody else really, not even Sean Patyon, not even Andy Reid or Mike Tomlin.  

Fans are angry right now............lose the next one they will be irate........lose the next two and it's apathy and nothing is worse than that.   Ask the Pistons.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Knowing this franchise,  they’d fire Quintricia and hire Nick Caserio and Josh McDaniels from the Patriots and bring new meaning to Same Old Lions.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Yeah, that was a problem. If Patricia's team lays an egg again on Thanksgiving, on national TV, and the stadium is full of booing Lions fans and "DEFENSE" chants when the Lions have the ball, all bets are off.

The problem with Quinn is that you don't win by picking the safest player at your slot in each draft. You need to be aggressive to get a playmaker. The Bears rolled the dice on Mack, and came up big. They also rolled the dice on Trubisky and it was a mistake. But guess what? Their big play for Mack still got them to the playoffs in spite of missing on Trubisky. 

Quinn has waited for players to come to him, and that's not how you get players in the NFL.

There big roll of the dice got them a playoff loss. Quinn has that too. He rolled the dice on Flowers. There is no doubt fans would be calling for Quinn's head if he traded for Mack and traded up in the draft to draft Trubisky while passing on Mahomes and Watson. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There big roll of the dice got them a playoff loss. Quinn has that too. He rolled the dice on Flowers. There is no doubt fans would be calling for Quinn's head if he traded for Mack and traded up in the draft to draft Trubisky while passing on Mahomes and Watson. 

Obviously if I were a Bears fan, I would have wanted them to trade for Mack and pick Mahomes.

My point was that it took guts to make the trades that got them Mack and Trubisky. And a playoff loss with Mack is more than Quinn has achieved.

Quinn has not showed any guts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

There big roll of the dice got them a playoff loss. Quinn has that too. He rolled the dice on Flowers. There is no doubt fans would be calling for Quinn's head if he traded for Mack and traded up in the draft to draft Trubisky while passing on Mahomes and Watson. 

few bears fans are pissed about the mack trade, it helped get them to 12-4 and a nfc north title.  i doubt many lions fans would be pissed with that result seeing as the lions have NEVER won the nfc north.

few bears arent pissed at the trubisky trade.  the fact that the bears have been as good as they have been with that horrible qb even makes it starker at what a poor job quinn has done in putting a team around a very good qb.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Hey,  Quinn dug his own grave by firing a coach who had a winning record 3 out of 4 years and saying "9-7 isn't good enough".  Well, if you say that you'd better come up with something more than 6 wins seasons in your first couple of years.    It's Patricia's own stubbornness that will cost him.  Dude, your defensive scheme is a disaster - you've got the talent to be better but you won't let them play and don't give me any nonsense that it's Pasqueloni (sp?),   it's YOUR defense and we all know it

I just can't stand it.  That smugness,   you can be that when you are Bill Belichick and maybe Pete Carroll, but nobody else really, not even Sean Patyon, not even Andy Reid or Mike Tomlin.  

Fans are angry right now............lose the next one they will be irate........lose the next two and it's apathy and nothing is worse than that.   Ask the Pistons.   

i dont think many lions fans are pining away for jim caldwell, a fine dude and a decent ceo football coach.

i think lions fans were sold a bill of good about patricia/quinn/patriots and the results have not supported the hype.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

Obviously if I were a Bears fan, I would have wanted them to trade for Mack and pick Mahomes.

My point was that it took guts to make the trades that got them Mack and Trubisky. And a playoff loss with Mack is more than Quinn has achieved.

Quinn has not showed any guts.

LOL now it's guts. We would rather have a GM that blows the 3rd overall pick but has guts. If any team has guts, it's Oakland. They dusted off Gruden and traded their stars and were universally panned. Now, those players are starting to develop and Gruden has Carr playing at a high level. The Raiders may make the playoff before the Bears. 

Also ironic is that the Lions are criticized for having the defensive genius and a poor defense when Chicago has an offensive genius who can't develop their #2 overall pick and has one of the worst offenses. 

Quinn has made the playoffs. He didn't need to trade two first round picks for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...