Motor City Sonics

Coaching Candidates

11 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

At least as of right now, assuming Chase Young isn't there when we pick and assuming there isn't another elite pass rusher worth taking at #3-4-5, Derrick Brown is the guy I want. The guy is an elite level run defender, a big body to clog the middle of the interior, and has at least a minimal pass rushing capability.

In a league in which the vast majority of yards and touchdowns come through the air, drafting a "run defender" that high would make no sense, in my opinion.  So I could see the Lions going that way.

13 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

In a league in which the vast majority of yards and touchdowns come through the air, drafting a "run defender" that high would make no sense, in my opinion.  So I could see the Lions going that way.

Except for the fact that we have to lineup against guys like Aaron Jones and Dalvin Cook twice a season. Having a guy in the middle like Brown opens up other opportunities up front to get after the passer and tighten the pocket.

12 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

At least as of right now, assuming Chase Young isn't there when we pick and assuming there isn't another elite pass rusher worth taking at #3-4-5, Derrick Brown is the guy I want. The guy is an elite level run defender, a big body to clog the middle of the interior, and has at least a minimal pass rushing capability.

Not that interested in drafting another Snacks or another A'Shawn that high in the 1st round. This guy is not the next Aaron Donald and you better be sure you're getting a high sack guy if you're drafting a DT that high.

I like Brown for what he is but a 320+ pound run stuffer and pocket collapser is not what they need at least not in the top 5 of the draft. They need speedy playmakers, game changers. Edge rusher and linebacker are their two biggest needs.

Unfortunately, I could see Quinntricia picking Brown because they love those big space eaters.

6 minutes ago, NYLion said:

Not that interested in drafting another Snacks or another A'Shawn that high in the 1st round. This guy is not the next Aaron Donald and you better be sure you're getting a high sack guy if you're drafting a DT that high.

I like Brown for what he is but a 320+ pound run stuffer and pocket collapser is not what they need at least not in the top 5 of the draft. They need speedy playmakers, game changers. Edge rusher and linebacker are their two biggest needs.

Unfortunately, I could see Quinntricia picking Brown because they love those big space eaters.

I would throw CB as a big need. Slay has been regressing and has probably only one more season left on the Lions. I would consider drafting a CB 5th and trading Slay if they can get a late 1st for him.

22 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would throw CB as a big need. Slay has been regressing and has probably only one more season left on the Lions. I would consider drafting a CB 5th and trading Slay if they can get a late 1st for him.

I don't think I'd draft a CB that high either unless it's a surefire star. That's a position that's very hit or miss.

5 hours ago, NYLion said:

I don't think I'd draft a CB that high either unless it's a surefire star. That's a position that's very hit or miss.

Yep.  The principal way to thwart a passing game is not with a secondary, it's with a pass rush.  If you give a quarterback a lot of time to throw, even the best coverage guys don't mean that much.

I am not opposed to a CB that high if you think he is an elite level defender. Patrick Peterson was pick #5 overall several years back, as were Denzel Ward and Jalen Ramsey. It certainly beats taking a TE in the Top 10.

15 hours ago, Buddha said:

i would put okudah 1 and move everyone else down a slot.  they may value brown over young.

I’d like him here just so everyone can call him Jeff for 7 seasons when he prefers to be called Jeffrey.