Motor City Sonics

Coaching Candidates

Pittsburgh had key injuries, including to their QB, and they are in the playoff hunt. What is our excuse? They are starting Duck Hodges at QB and still in the mix. They are simply a better constructed and better coached team with Kevin Colbert and Mike Tomlin running things.

Open letter to Lions fans

Our 2019 season has not gone as anticipated by anyone in our organization. Our team has played hard and well enough to be very competitive. It has been well-documented that we are one of only three teams to have held the lead in each of our first 12 games. Unfortunately, all too often, we have come up a few plays short of victory. Our current win-loss record is ultimately very disappointing.

As we evaluate this season, we look beyond just our record. We are striving to build a team with a strong foundation of high-character players and coaches, that is physically and mentally tough, with depth at every position and one that can be successful over many years, not just one season. We see signs of this foundation in our team’s toughness, competitiveness and culture. Injuries happen in the NFL and are never an excuse. Nonetheless, our team has played through serious injuries this season to some of our best players. Despite the injuries, we have remained competitive in each game and our team depth showed up as a strength.

We also believe that the most successful teams in our league have a long-term plan, stability in leadership and exhibit patience to follow their plan. To that end, we are committed to year three of Coach Patricia’s plan. To be clear, our expectation is for the Lions to be a playoff contender in 2020.

To our dedicated fans: You deserve a winning team that you are excited to cheer for and proud to represent. Our entire organization is working to make the Lions a consistently winning team.

To our loyal season ticket members: Thank you for your continued support. We are announcing today that once again there will be no price increases for season tickets at Ford Field and several sections at the stadium will see price decreases. We want our fans to fill Ford Field for every game, continuing to make it the great home field advantage that inspires our players and makes it difficult for our opponents.

Thank you for your continued support, Happy Holidays and GO LIONS!

Sincerely,

Martha Firestone Ford

Sheila Ford Hamp

Rod Wood

https://www.detroitlions.com/news/open-letter-martha-firestone-ford-rod-wood-sheila-ford-hamp

I would have preferred Patricia fired, but it seems like it's playoffs or else for Patricia and possibly Quinn. I can't recall under WCF ever seeing this sort of ultimatum.

13 hours ago, Jason_R said:

I agree with everything you say. 

I did not agree with the decision of hiring Matt Patricia, because I believed he and Quinn would not challenge each other’s thinking (they haven’t) and because I believed he would not be able to win over a locker room of NFL players (he hasn’t).

But it is true they were competitive early in the season and have had a disastrous run of injuries. 

It is also true that nobody is coming in to take over this roster, tailor made for the Patriot-lite system, and retool it on the fly into a winner. 

If Quinn can patch up the roster, Patricia can get the defense to turn the corner, and they have good luck health wise, maybe they make the playoffs. But if they brought a new regime in now, it would be a complete tear down. 

I find it hard to believe that a coach at the NFL level cant come in with the existing personnel along with a couple of changes and run a 4-3 or 3-4 and be 100x better. 

The current D scheme is the worst I've ever seen. 

24 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I would have preferred Patricia fired, but it seems like it's playoffs or else for Patricia and possibly Quinn. I can't recall under WCF ever seeing this sort of ultimatum.

That's an awful ultimatum on their part. Seattle made the playoffs as a 7-9 team and there is a chance the NFC East winner has a losing record as well. The ultimatum should be a playoff win if you are going to make playoffs part of the formula. So if the NFC North has a down year next year and this team makes the playoffs at 7-9, 8-8 that is acceptable?

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

That's an awful ultimatum. Seattle made the playoffs as a 7-9 team and there is a chance the NFC East winner has a losing record as well. The ultimatum should be a playoff win if you are going to make playoffs part of the formula.

I highly doubt the NFC North will be won with a 7-9 record next year and even more unlikely a wild card will be won with a 7-9 record. Regardless, this isn't some binding contract. She can still fire them in the extremely unlikely even the Lions make the playoffs with a 7-9 record.

19 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I think Quinn deserved another chance. I wanted Patricia fired. At the very least I guess they will replace the defensive coordinator. Maybe they pick up Dan Quinn if he gets fired by Atlanta. It sounds like Martha gave a playoffs or bust ultimatum.

I tend to agree. I know that many are down on Quinn and there's certainly some merit to that but this is a roster that should be better than what it is.

The thing with the NFL is that there's such a fine line between winning and losing and that especially applies to the '19-'20 Lions with every game outside of the Tampa game pretty much coming down to the wire. This is where coaching comes in. When all else is fairly equal, you need a good scheme and a coach who can makes smart in game decisions on the fly to get over the hump and I've found that way too often, Patricia gets out coached. Poor scheme, poor use of timeouts, poor use of challenges, looking despondent on the sideline. The guy looks overwhelmed in the head role and I think he's a big part of the reason why Lions lose a lot of close games. Not that it's the primary reason for failure but they've also been ravaged by injuries. Stafford, Hockenson, KJ, Jones missed a few games, the entire defensive line really, Slay at times, almost all the safeties, Davis. Every team has injuries but the Lions have been particularly hard hit.

Anyway, I wouldn't have batted an eyelash if Quinntricia got the boot but I feel like Patricia is the bigger problem. Of course Quinn is the one who hired Patricia and swears by him so that's on Quinn. Regardless, if/when they get fired, it will be both not just one of them I'd think.

44 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Why?

They have drafted two pass rusherers/DEs in four years of Quinn drafting. That was Austin Bryant this past year and Jeremiah Ledbetter in 2017. Add onto that, they don't appear to value the pass rush and getting after the QB with their rush three philosophy. Flowers is more of the type of DE player they are looking for, some who is more versatile against the run and pass than a pure rusher. Quinn and Patricia seem to value a player who is a scheme fit over drafting for talent and making it work.

1 minute ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

TheI have drafted one pass rusher/DE in four years of Quinn drafting. That was Austin Bryant this past year. Add onto that, they don't appear to value the pass rush and getting after the QB with their rush three philosophy. Flowers is more of the type of DE player they are looking for, some who is more versatile against the run and pass than a pure rusher.

They franchised Ansah who is more of a pure pass rusher. I see no reason to believe they wouldn't draft Young if he is available.

Edge Rusher was a huge need going into the draft last year and they passed on Oliver, Sweat, and Burns for a TE. In all likelihood they would have passed on Josh Allen for Hockenson too.

As for Ansah, once Patricia came in with his 3-4, rush 3 scheme they let Ziggy walk.

Just now, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Edge Rusher was a huge need going into the draft last year and they passed on Oliver, Sweat, and Burns for a TE. In all likelihood they would have passed on Josh Allen for Hockenson too.

Hockenson was a top 10 pick by most people but because they drafted Hockenson after signing a $90 million pass rusher means they will never draft a pass rusher.

Yeah I'm as down on management as anybody but unless something happens with Young from now until the draft that would hurt his stock I don't think that they would pass on him if he was available.   

• Like 1

Listen if they take Derrick Brown out of Auburn that is a great pick. Chase will gone by their pick and they have a huge need at DT too.

7 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

They franchised Ansah who is more of a pure pass rusher. I see no reason to believe they wouldn't draft Young if he is available.

ansah is not a pure pass rusher.  he's a good run defender.

6 hours ago, kdog said:

Listen if they take Derrick Brown out of Auburn that is a great pick. Chase will gone by their pick and they have a huge need at DT too.

At least as of right now, assuming Chase Young isn't there when we pick and assuming there isn't another elite pass rusher worth taking at #3-4-5, Derrick Brown is the guy I want. The guy is an elite level run defender, a big body to clog the middle of the interior, and has at least a minimal pass rushing capability.

21 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

At least as of right now, assuming Chase Young isn't there when we pick and assuming there isn't another elite pass rusher worth taking at #3-4-5, Derrick Brown is the guy I want. The guy is an elite level run defender, a big body to clog the middle of the interior, and has at least a minimal pass rushing capability.

i still think it is more likely that they will take a cb or even an ot over any defensive lineman not named young.

and im not convinced they take young either.

23 minutes ago, Buddha said:

i still think it is more likely that they will take a cb or even an ot over any defensive lineman not named young.

and im not convinced they take young either.

I have almost zero faith that Quinn would take Young if given the chance. This team and Patrica's scheme doesn't value the pass rush and having a dedicated edge rusher goes against the Genius's rush 3 philosophy. Furthermore, beyond the Flowers signing, the Patriot Way does not usually involve investing big money and resources into the interior line and on the edge.

The draft board is going to change a lot between now and April. However, knowing what Quinn and Patrica seems to value I could see a hypothetical Lions 1st round big board looking something like this . . .

1.  Isiah Simmons/S-Hyrbid LB, Clemson
  2.  Andrew Thomas/OT, Georgia
  3. Tristan Wirfs/OT, Iowa
  4. Jeffrey Okudah/CB, Ohio State
  5. Jerry Jeudy/WR, Alabama
  6. CeeDee Lamb/WR, Oklahoma
  7. Chase Young/DE, Ohio State

We should be less worried about the 1st pick. Quinn will do something reasonably defensible, then proceed to be lucky to get one more useful player in the succeeding 5 rounds.

9 minutes ago, Gehringer_2 said:

We should be less worried about the 1st pick. Quinn will do something reasonably defensible, then proceed to be lucky to get one more useful player in the succeeding 5 rounds.

Seems like there are unreasonable expectations on what to expect in later rounds. Golladay, Robinson, Hand, Walker, Glasgow and even Agnew have been useful. Jury is still out on Tavai and I didn't even include Kerryon. 

2 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Seems like there are unreasonable expectations on what to expect in later rounds. Golladay, Robinson, Hand, Walker, Glasgow and even Agnew have been useful. Jury is still out on Tavai and I didn't even include Kerryon. 

Even to grant that Quinn is average, which I wouldn't, he has to able to do better than average in the draft to take a team from bad to good. There is no other choice. If you are an average drafter you are the wrong hire for a bad team. "Average" draft expectations for the Lions just means it will be more years in the wilderness.

2 hours ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

I have almost zero faith that Quinn would take Young if given the chance. This team and Patrica's scheme doesn't value the pass rush and having a dedicated edge rusher goes against the Genius's rush 3 philosophy. Furthermore, beyond the Flowers signing, the Patriot Way does not usually involve investing big money and resources into the interior line and on the edge.

The draft board is going to change a lot between now and April. However, knowing what Quinn and Patrica seems to value I could see a hypothetical Lions 1st round big board looking something like this . . .

1.  Isiah Simmons/S-Hyrbid LB, Clemson
  2.  Andrew Thomas/OT, Georgia
  3. Tristan Wirfs/OT, Iowa
  4. Jeffrey Okudah/CB, Ohio State
  5. Jerry Jeudy/WR, Alabama
  6. CeeDee Lamb/WR, Oklahoma
  7. Chase Young/DE, Ohio State

i would put okudah 1 and move everyone else down a slot.  they may value brown over young.