Jump to content

Motor City Sonics

Coaching Candidates

Recommended Posts

If this season continues to circle the drain with astonishing speed,  we speculate if Marth Vader would be willing to fire The Mighty Quinn and Brutus.   I kind of doubt she would, but there is nothing lese to really think about this season.........Who would be your top candidates?      For me it HAS to be someone with Head Coaching experience either in the NFL or Power 5 NCAA.  

Mike McCarthy would be #1 on my list.   yeah, it ended badly in Green Bay but Aaron Rodgers is a ***** and everyone knows it.     #2 would be Gary Kubiak,  he won a Super Bowl.  He brought Houston from expansion to the playoffs.     If I was thinking of any college guy right now it would be David Shaw.       I don't want to see anyone from the Patriots,  I don't want to see anyone with only coordinator experience and if a firing happens it has to be a clean sweep.   New GM gets to hire their coach........New coach gets to hire their staff.............No forced holdovers.    

Who is out there,  available, that would interest you?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

If this season continues to circle the drain with astonishing speed,  we speculate if Marth Vader would be willing to fire The Mighty Quinn and Brutus.   I kind of doubt she would, but there is nothing lese to really think about this season.........Who would be your top candidates?      For me it HAS to be someone with Head Coaching experience either in the NFL or Power 5 NCAA.  

Mike McCarthy would be #1 on my list.   yeah, it ended badly in Green Bay but Aaron Rodgers is a ***** and everyone knows it.     #2 would be Gary Kubiak,  he won a Super Bowl.  He brought Houston from expansion to the playoffs.     If I was thinking of any college guy right now it would be David Shaw.       I don't want to see anyone from the Patriots,  I don't want to see anyone with only coordinator experience and if a firing happens it has to be a clean sweep.   New GM gets to hire their coach........New coach gets to hire their staff.............No forced holdovers.    

Who is out there,  available, that would interest you?  

As I’ve said before, I don’t know who is actually making decisions for the Lions.   Is it just mainly Martha, is it the daughters, is Bill Jr in secret,  is it a family affair, or do they let Rod Wood make the call?   That would tell me a lot on the possibility of change as I don’t see them cutting Quinn now.  If Quinn stays then Patricia does too. 

I like your list but David Shaw is too smart to get involved in this S show.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have no clue who would be a good fit were Bob Quinn to be fired because I know nothing about NFL front office staff. Last time, when Quinn was brought in, I went with the conventional wisdom of "get someone from a successful organization and they can bring that success here" so that obviously is flawed logic. On the coaching front though, given that we see these guys work on the sidelines each and every week, I feel better qualified to give an opinion. 

Given what we have witnessed from previous failed regimes, there are 4-5 core things, in no particular order, I want out of our next head coach. Certainly, there are a million and one other things to want out of a coach, but given our biggest failings with Schwartz, Caldwell, and now Patricia, these are some core elements to being successful.

1. Are you willing to adjust your scheme to fit the players currently on the roster?

2. Are you willing to take the most talented players in the draft even if they are not a perfect schematic fit for what you're trying to run?

3. Can you develop and ultimately command the respect of the players in the locker room?

4. Do you understand the rules of the NFL and can you manage the clock and your timeouts wisely?

5. Do you have an understanding of what makes a  coordinator or position coach successful and if someone is failing to live up to expectations, are you willing to get rid of them, in spite of where your initial loyalties lie?

In the past I have really been hyped up by getting the "insert top young coordinator from the flavor of the month staff" and I have certainly cooled on that idea. Given that we have a veteran roster to work with that could still, potentially, be competitive with the right coach and a few more pieces, I would lean towards bringing in a veteran/college coach or coordinator over the latest flavor of the month this time around. With all of that said, these are guys I would like to see Quinn or the next GM actively pursue for the  job . . .

1. Lincoln Riley/Oklahoma Sooners

2. Urban Meyer/Unemployed

3. Mike McCarthy/Former Packers HC

4. Chuck Pagano/Former Colts HC

5. Greg Roman/Ravens OC, former 49'ers OC during their good years with Harbaugh

6. Chris Petersen/Washington Huskies

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Mike McCarthy!?! 🤣🤣🤣

Yes, Super Bowl winner, 10 time playoff game winner, and .618 career winning percentage Mike McCarthy. Also, even though Aaron Rodgers feuded with the guy, how much of the Packers woes were his fault and how much were the fact that GM Ted Thompson built a team largely devoid of talent the last 3-4 seasons because he signed like one free agent as GM in 10 years there?

We could do a lot worse than McCarthy. Is he too conservative at times? Yes, that's likely the case. Did he have a bad relationship with his QB? He did, but Rodgers doesn't exactly seem like the easiest guy to get along with either.

Ted Thompson, not Mike McCarthy, Deserves the Blame

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

How about Jim Caldwell? Guy had a winning record over 4 seasons and made the playoffs twice. 

It’s funny but what about Jim Schwartz?  
 

Failure is often the best teacher and I think enough time has passed that he’s ready for another shot at a head coaching job somewhere.   He knows exactly what he’s getting into here and there won’t be any surprises.   I like the idea of a guy that has been humbled before who can come in and truly appreciate the task.  The next coach will also probably have to be a defensive guy in order to find a way to transition the parts acquired for the current failed system into one that works.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Hongbit said:

It’s funny but what about Jim Schwartz?  
 

Failure is often the best teacher and I think enough time has passed that he’s ready for another shot at a head coaching job somewhere.   He knows exactly what he’s getting into here and there won’t be any surprises.   I like the idea of a guy that has been humbled before who can come in and truly appreciate the task.  The next coach will also probably have to be a defensive guy in order to find a way to transition the parts acquired for the current failed system into one that works.   

I never thought Caldwell should have gotten fired in the first place. I am surprised Schwartz hasn't gotten another job. He inherited an 0-16 team and got them to 10 wins and a playoff appearance in 3 seasons. He just couldn't get them to the next level and it hurt that Caldwell came in and immediately won 11 games. Schwartz has been a good coordinator since he left. His biggest issues as a head coach were maturity which is something that can be learned. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

never thought Caldwell should have gotten fired in the first place

yeah - and the fixation on his sideline demeanor was ridiculous. No-one ever complained that Tom Landry was stone-faced and tight lipped on the side lines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

I never thought Caldwell should have gotten fired in the first place. I am surprised Schwartz hasn't gotten another job. He inherited an 0-16 team and got them to 10 wins and a playoff appearance in 3 seasons. He just couldn't get them to the next level and it hurt that Caldwell came in and immediately won 11 games. Schwartz has been a good coordinator since he left. His biggest issues as a head coach were maturity which is something that can be learned. 

Schwartz going 2-8 to end the season probably got him fired. That team cratered after a 5-3 start

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Jason_R said:

Aaron Rodgers is going to the HOF. 

Mike McCarthy is not. 

So it's all on the QB and the coach gets no or minimal credit? Also, what are the specific things that people have against McCarthy?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

So it's all on the QB and the coach gets no or minimal credit? Also, what are the specific things that people have against McCarthy?

1. Yes.

2. He had TWO HOF QBs in thirteen seasons and won one Super Bowl. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jason_R said:

1. Yes.

2. He had TWO HOF QBs in thirteen seasons and won one Super Bowl. 

So Brady is a HOF QB but Billy B is a schlub if the coach gets no credit? Also, Sean Payton is a garbage head coach than too correct? Because he has only won one Super Bowl.

Assuming it is all Rodgers and McCarthy gets no credit for a 8 year run of success that included a +.600 winning percentage, 10 playoffs wins, multiple NFC Championship games, and a Super Bowl victory, presumably any coach could have done what McCarthy did.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Does Mike McCarthy get no credit for developing Aaron Rodgers after many teams passed on him? Winning multiple Super Bowls is not easy. I guess guys like Sean Payton, Mike Tomlin, Tony Dungy etc. are not very good coaches. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But but but...

If Mike McCarthy was such a great coach, why did his QB throw him off the bus?

And why did nobody in the NFL hire him?

And why, when people talk about his offense, do they use words like “archaic”?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Jason_R said:

But but but...

If Mike McCarthy was such a great coach, why did his QB throw him off the bus?

And why did nobody in the NFL hire him?

And why, when people talk about his offense, do they use words like “archaic”?

Maybe the same reasons Belichick was fired from Cleveland.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Motown Bombers said:

Maybe the same reasons Belichick was fired from Cleveland.

Belichick was fired because he threw the QB (Bernie Kosar) off the bus, and because Art Modell wanted to start his franchise's midnight move to Baltimore with a new coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Jason_R said:

But but but...

If Mike McCarthy was such a great coach, why did his QB throw him off the bus?

And why did nobody in the NFL hire him?

And why, when people talk about his offense, do they use words like “archaic”?

Don't be shocked if McCarthy ends up getting a HC job this coming off-season. We could do a lot worse than Mike McCarthy. He isn't my top choice, that's Lincoln Riley, but I certainly think McCarthy deserves consideration.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

mike mccarthy, jim schwartz, and jim caldwell.  good lord we have reached rock bottom.  might as well just keep patricia.

if stafford is done for good, it wont matter one lick who the coach is, this team will be on the long rebuild.

again.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Buddha said:

if stafford is done for good,

Unless something is there they have not disclosed, a non-displaced vertebral fracture should fully heal by itself as long as he doesn't do anything to it that turns it into a displaced fracture before it can heal.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Gehringer_2 said:

Unless something is there they have not disclosed, a non-displaced vertebral fracture should fully heal by itself as long as he doesn't do anything to it that turns it into a displaced fracture before it can heal.

like play football?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Buddha said:

like play football?

Exactly. He can't play until he heals. Did I misread your post? Do you mean done for the season or done as in for his career? Yes he should certainly be done for this season. Since he should not practice or work-out in any meaningful way, once he is cleared for activity he'll be out of football conditioning so this season should certainly be done. But barring unreported complications this is something that should fully heal before next season.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...