kdog

Cowboys at Lions 11/17

21 minutes ago, T&P_Fan said:

You has zero chance of getting the ball back with this defense.  Zero.  Punting meant that you gave up on the game.  He fully gave up.  

I'd say the punt at the 40 before the Dallas 4th TD was the dumbest. They had converted by pulling Dallas offside on  a 4th and 5 already, They were on the Dallas side of field and punted for only 25 yrs gain. That was just not worth giving the ball up for even if they needed 10 yds. 10 yds is nothing for an NFL pass play. And Dallas went down and scored after the punt.

49 minutes ago, number20 said:

Dear Santa,

Don't hold your breath.  He hasn't brought it the past 50 years.

I’m wondering what happened to the secondary. 

At the start of the season, they were allowing among the lowest completion % against in the league. 

Now every QB looks like Johnny Unitas against them. 

And Slay is (justifiably) spouting off, and uncharacteristically left two pretty sure interceptions on the field. 

Something is wrong back there. 

9 minutes ago, Jason_R said:

I’m wondering what happened to the secondary. 

At the start of the season, they were allowing among the lowest completion % against in the league. 

Now every QB looks like Johnny Unitas against them. 

And Slay is (justifiably) spouting off, and uncharacteristically left two pretty sure interceptions on the field. 

Something is wrong back there. 

Maybe teams needed to see some film documenting how poor the Lions pass rush was before they adjusted to take more advantage of it, more discipline about staying available after completed routes, delayed safety valve routes etc.

The pass rush has actually been better later in the season than at the start. 

1 hour ago, Gehringer_2 said:

No pass rush, then Slay lets the INT go right through his hands.

So in the biggest and most expensive program by Quinn they got one half of one good season out of Harrison and so far nothing out of Flowers or Harrison this season in terms of improving the DL. That is just outright front office failure. I don't care about Patricia one way or the other, but given the very middling draft results and the DL fiasco I don't know what else a GM should do to lose his gig.

QFT....Quinn Failure Total (quoting Yoda)

17 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Sounds like going for 2 was the right move.

Late and Trailing: Always Go For 2 Down Eight After a Touchdown

Yes, that was what the announcers were saying too. Even though I didn't,  and still don't,  agree. But the Lions actually played a closer game than I thought. It was a little exciting. Until we gave up by punting the ball. 4th and 23 and we don't make it? Dallas ball. Punt? Dallas ball. Either way we needed a defensive play if we didn't make the 4th and 23 yards to go. But yeah, our defense had already given up close to 500 yards.  Let's count on a 3 and out, our only chance after we punted. It would have been nice to get at least 1 offensive play, even if it was a Hail Mary.

Watching Pats vs Eagles, Wentz just sacked by 2 linebackers.

Patricia needs to watch some football on TV.

1 hour ago, sagnam said:

Watching Pats vs Eagles, Wentz just sacked by 2 linebackers.

Patricia needs to watch some football on TV.

What are linebackers? Haven't seen any in a Lions game recently. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

Sounds like going for 2 was the right move.

Late and Trailing: Always Go For 2 Down Eight After a Touchdown

Those analytics were wrong with Stafford not playing.     

The correct analytic in that situation is to always side with the choice that asks Jeff Driskel to make the fewest plays possible in order for you to take the lead     

16 hours ago, T&P_Fan said:

Also, simple math told you that by punting you wouldn’t get the 2 minute warning. It was garbage. 

As bad as the defense is, you have a better chance of pinning them down getting a stop and getting the ball back around midfield or so with a little over a minute left than you do converting a 4th and 26. I didn't have a problem with him punting there as much as I'd love to pile on Patricia who deserves every bit of criticism for what's transpired this season.

As far as going for 2 is concerned, there's something in the analytics book that says the proper play is to go for 2 down by 8 late in the 4th. I saw another coach doing that this season too (Ron Rivera I believe?). It's stupid but that's the analytics geeks for ya. The smartest guys in the room according to themselves.

Here, I found an article on it...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/28100383/going-2-8-points-why-nfl-teams-keep-doing-why-analytics-backs-up

The  conclusion supported by my application of analytics:  The Lions lost and the Patriots won, so all's right with the world. 

I am glad I completely missed what must have been a debacle on that last drive before the punt...I have no more interest....I am not coming here to rub it in to those who, but the only reason I am even watching anymore (not just this year, but in general over the past season or 2) is because my brother comes and hangs out for game time and it is one of the only times I see him.

I watch with (what I think to be) a more unbiased opinion of the games because before it was every foul screwed us and now I see some on both sides not being called and even when they are pretty blatant I just laugh now...it is what it is.  I am just upset at myself that I cared for as long as I did.

Apparently Bevell criticized Hockenson to the Fox broadcast crew after the game according to Valenti. I don't recall seeing anything so I wonder what Valenti is referencing.

1 hour ago, Mr.TaterSalad said:

Apparently Bevell criticized Hockenson to the Fox broadcast crew after the game according to Valenti. I don't recall seeing anything so I wonder what Valenti is referencing.

I don't see that anyone has reported on the alleged criticism online or in print.  

If Bevell wants Hockenson to do better, the Lions should trade him to one of the other NFC North teams, so he can face the Rocket Science defense six times a year.   

• Confused 1

13 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

I don't see that anyone has reported on the alleged criticism online or in print.  

If Bevell wants Hockenson to do better, the Lions should trade him to one of the other NFC North teams, so he can face the Rocket Science defense six times a year.   

How would he face them more than twice a season? Maybe three times if they met in the playoffs.

1 hour ago, Sports_Freak said:

How would he face them more than twice a season? Maybe three times if they met in the playoffs.

My bad.  He would have to be shuffled among all three of the other NFC North teams to face the Lions six times.  Math class is hard.

16 hours ago, six-hopper said:

I hated the idea of picking a Tight End in the top 10 and I hated the pick of Hockenson when they made it. It's hard to judge a Tight End year one, but I can't say that Hock has impressed me much this year.

After doing some digging on the internet I found a scouting report on Hockenson that I think is a fair assessment of who we actually drafted versus the hype we were sold by Mel Kiper, the media and the Lions propaganda machine. I think this is an honest assessment how who he really is as a player, i.e. not Gronk.

https://uploads-ssl.webflow.com/5988f684fda8db00017f4dee/5c8aa02c84944a75d0423498_CFM19_TE_Hockenson_TJ.pdf

thats a little much.

lets give him at least more than one year before we kill the pick.  but he does have some of the characteristics of a bob quinn pick: safe, not great at anything but not horrible, low ceiling high floor, big school.

and i would say that all of his first round picks have been average at best, and bad (jarrad davis).

Good player with a bright future.   Not worth the #8 overall pick.