Jump to content

RedRamage

Astro's stealing signs?

Recommended Posts

Gotta wonder how Verlander feels about all of this. Probably the most vocally anti-cheating guy in baseball. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Even then, so what?  Ed wanted to give Chris money in exchange for access to Chris.

Chris took it.

Whatever.

This impacts literally nobody negatively outside of the NCAA world of adhering to arcane rules in a transparent attempt to pass themselves off as an amateur athletics governing body while garnering massive profits in some sports.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

yeah I don't have an issue with it.... I do have an issue with Mitch Albom writing a book about them and pretending he didn't know and then getting high and mighty over it years later, like he was a victim too... or maybe Mitch wasn't really around it and his ghostwriter was.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Yoda said:

Gotta wonder how Verlander feels about all of this. Probably the most vocally anti-cheating guy in baseball. 

Verlander signed an extension with Houston in 2019. I cannot believe he didn't know this was going on in 2017 so it doesn't appear to have bothered him very much.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

Verlander signed an extension with Houston in 2019. I cannot believe he didn't know this was going on in 2017 so it doesn't appear to have bothered him very much.

I'm not 100% certain every player on the team, inc pitchers, knew what was going on. But who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'm not 100% certain every player on the team, inc pitchers, knew what was going on. But who knows. 

I would assume one of the team leaders such as Verlander would know. One would think he would at least be curious who the **** keeps banging a trash can in the dugout. I'm guessing the players didn't think it would be as serious as it is. They had to know they would get caught at some point. Sign stealing in and of itself isn't cheating. It's the technology piece that makes it cheating. Maybe that is why Verlander didn't have a hard stance since sign stealing is accepted in baseball.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Oblong said:

Mike Fiers is who started all of this isn't he?

 

Good point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Oblong said:

As a Fab Five fan I think nothing less of the 1992-1994 seasons... they happened and I had fun.

 

Nor should you...it was not a big deal.  Technically cheating....I guess, not like they were the only ones.

I said as much before, if Houston KNEW the other team was doing the same kind of things then no biggie really.

You have fan perspective, player and owner.  As a fan UofM forfeiture means little because everyone knows everyone was doing it and there really is no edge there.  As an institution I am guessing it means a lot because it questions the honor of the school.  As the players?  Seems to be a big deal for some reason.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Yoda said:

I'm not 100% certain every player on the team, inc pitchers, knew what was going on. But who knows. 

If I were to make an assumption, I'd assume every regular player knew what was going on in the dugout.

If it were a one off thing, maybe.  This was going on day after day for months.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

If I were to make an assumption, I'd assume every regular player knew what was going on in the dugout.

If it were a one off thing, maybe.  This was going on day after day for months.

Gotta be this.

I mean, beating a trash can throughout a game probably isn't normal activity, so players outside of the know probably asked about it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Motor City Sonics said:

Thats a cop out - he was not in the same situation as the others.........not even close.  His parents had money - maybe not wealthy, but they had enough.    He was just a crook.    

actually IIRC correctly, wasn't it Mrs. Webber that had the hand outstretched the furthest. If you are Chris that maybe  puts you in tough spot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I read according to the report when the White Sox pitcher noticed something was up, the Astro players scrambled to take the monitor off the wall and hide it. I find it hard to believe someone like Verlander didn't know this was happening. It will be interesting to hear his take on this. He willing signed an extension to remain with this team and kept quiet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Yoda said:

I'm not 100% certain every player on the team, inc pitchers, knew what was going on. But who knows. 

How could they not?  If someone is repeatedly beating on a trash can in your dugout just before the opposing pitcher delivers, that would be pretty hard to miss.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
58 minutes ago, Motown Bombers said:

I read according to the report when the White Sox pitcher noticed something was up, the Astro players scrambled to take the monitor off the wall and hide it. I find it hard to believe someone like Verlander didn't know this was happening. It will be interesting to hear his take on this. He willing signed an extension to remain with this team and kept quiet.

It will probably be the same as his opinion of the Astros acquiring Roberto Osuna.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Astros have really made themselves an unlikeable team haven't they? From the acquisition of Osuna, to the assistant GM taunting a female reporter, to them blocking a reporter from Verlander, and now cheating, they are really becoming disliked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Casimir said:

It will probably be the same as his opinion of the Astros acquiring Roberto Osuna.

Yeah, I remember that. He was basically like “I have said strong things about this type of thing before, but I don’t know the whole story so I’m going to reserve judgment.”

I bet if he was pressed for comment on this, he will say that cheating has no place in the game and he supports the ruling. He will probably mix in something like he didn’t know it was going on, or maybe the stuff happened before he got there and he didn’t know about it. And he’ll probably say that when he is in the dugout there are a lot of noises from all over the place and didn’t know what the players in the tunnel were up to. Maybe something like “when I’m in the dugout I’m focusing on my own pitching or scouting the other team’s hitters.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Someone somewhere has to be writing a satirical piece about the Houston Astros being renamed the Houston Asterisks, right?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, Yoda said:

Gotta wonder how Verlander feels about all of this. Probably the most vocally anti-cheating guy in baseball. 

I think he is okay with it.  Remember, it benefited him.  

He is a great pitcher, but I don't think he is some moral high tower.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Shelton said:

Yeah, I remember that. He was basically like “I have said strong things about this type of thing before, but I don’t know the whole story so I’m going to reserve judgment.”

I bet if he was pressed for comment on this, he will say that cheating has no place in the game and he supports the ruling. He will probably mix in something like he didn’t know it was going on, or maybe the stuff happened before he got there and he didn’t know about it. And he’ll probably say that when he is in the dugout there are a lot of noises from all over the place and didn’t know what the players in the tunnel were up to. Maybe something like “when I’m in the dugout I’m focusing on my own pitching or scouting the other team’s hitters.”

The chances that only the hitters knew about it and the pitchers were in the dark are about the same as the chances of Michael Moore getting down to one chin.  The players practice together, travel together, and spend a lot of time in the dugout and the clubhouse (which are not very big places) together.   Plus the trash-can symphony had to be loud enough for the batters to hear it over all the "other noise," which means that everyone in the vicinity had to hear it. 

Therefore, I have very high confidence that everybody on the team knew about it.   So if Justin "The Dean of Baseball Integrity" Verlander says that he didn't know about it, I will be disinclined to believe him. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, six-hopper said:

The chances that only the hitters knew about it and the pitchers were in the dark are about the same as the chances of Michael Moore getting down to one chin. 

Well that is the weird thing, the way players come and go something like this has to eventually leak out if the whole team knows, so you might think there would be motivation for the org to keep it in a small circle of hitters that they expect will be with the team for some time, but that doesn't seem to be the case as Fiers' knowledge shows. 

The best JV can do is say "I knew about. I didn't like it. But it was my team and this came from my management and I couldn't throw my teammates under the bus over it"

 Now none of that may be true - but that is still the best thing he can say! xD

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Forum Statistics

    • Total Topics
      96,672
    • Total Posts
      2,977,293
  • Who's Online (See full list)

  • Upcoming Events

    No upcoming events found
×
×
  • Create New...