RedRamage

Astro's stealing signs?

I'd suggest the largest concern is if the manager falls into a situation where he is either indebted to, or otherwise blackmailed by, gamblers, and now feels pressure to do as they say.

MLB came down hard.... very hard I think, at least much harder than I suspected, on the Astros:

Former GM, the one who taunted the reporters, is placed on baseball's ineligible list.

Harsh penalties but I wonder how they are going to enforce the Luhnow thing. Obviously he won't be able to to be in the office but it seems like it would be difficult to keep him from having any input on the team. 

I mean couldn't the interim GM just call him and ask for any input from him?

Edit: moot point now

1 minute ago, RandyMarsh said:

Harsh penalties but I wonder how they are going to enforce the Luhnow thing. Obviously he won't be able to to be in the office but it seems like it would be difficult to keep him from having any input on the team. 

I mean couldn't the interim GM just call him and ask for any input from him?

I'm sure that would be watched by the league, and any shenanigans would encounter further slaps.

Now that the Red Sox are going to be under scrutiny for stealing signs, I wonder if DD will encounter any suspension, per sort of a lack of institutional control kind of thing.

7 minutes ago, Oblong said:

Hinch and Lunhow fired by the Astros...

Ausmus is available....

The Tigers move up one spot with their 2nd round and comp B picks; and move up two spots with every other pick after.

1 hour ago, Oblong said:

MLB came down hard.... very hard I think, at least much harder than I suspected, on the Astros:

Not sure how to wrap my head around the punishment.  I guess the suspensions make sense.  The draft pick loss, OK.  $5M seems like a lot of chicken, but that's the cost of a bench player and that $5M was probably made easily from the success over the last few years.

5 hours ago, Casimir said:

Not sure how to wrap my head around the punishment.  I guess the suspensions make sense.  The draft pick loss, OK.  $5M seems like a lot of chicken, but that's the cost of a bench player and that $5M was probably made easily from the success over the last few years.

$5 mil is the max MLB is allowed to levy. 

1 hour ago, wolverinefan said:

Still some punishment coming for Cora too.

Wouldn’t surprise me if he gets put on the ineligible list.  Hinch got a year for knowing about it. What does the guy who actually implemented it get?  

10 hours ago, ben9753 said:

$5 mil is the max MLB is allowed to levy. 

Thank you.

I am not real sure how you do not take the title away from them.  5 mil, while a lot of money, is peanuts to an owner of an MLB team that has over 300 mil in revenue.  Just under 2%..I know it was the most they could levy.  If you make 50k a year it would be like paying for a speeding ticket basically.

Throwing 2 guys under the bus and firing them?  Big deal.

The draft picks can hurt for sure, but there is no cap...if they need something...they go buy it.

Jeff Passan had an article on ESPN this morning indicating the other owners are not happy about it but Manfred made it clear he wouldn't take any dissent...

1 hour ago, John_Brian_K said:

I am not real sure how you do not take the title away from them.  5 mil, while a lot of money, is peanuts to an owner of an MLB team that has over 300 mil in revenue.  Just under 2%..I know it was the most they could levy.  If you make 50k a year it would be like paying for a speeding ticket basically.

Throwing 2 guys under the bus and firing them?  Big deal.

The draft picks can hurt for sure, but there is no cap...if they need something...they go buy it.

I'm not sure taking the title away means much of anything now.  What happened on the field cannot be reversed.

It sucks for the Dodgers.  Maybe there was enough cheating done that it made a difference and the Dodgers win that series without the cheating?  Maybe the Astros still win anyway?

It sucks for Joe Girardi.  Maybe there was enough cheating that it made a difference and the Yankees win that series without the cheating and he is still manager of the Yankees?  Maybe the Astros still win anyway?

1 hour ago, Casimir said:

I'm not sure taking the title away means much of anything now.  What happened on the field cannot be reversed.

It sucks for the Dodgers.  Maybe there was enough cheating done that it made a difference and the Dodgers win that series without the cheating?  Maybe the Astros still win anyway?

It sucks for Joe Girardi.  Maybe there was enough cheating that it made a difference and the Yankees win that series without the cheating and he is still manager of the Yankees?  Maybe the Astros still win anyway?

Shame and the digging.  Doubt they win anyway or they would not have gone through all the trouble to cheat.  The edge in KNOWING if a fastball is coming is HUGE IMO.

Even if they won 4-0 you cannot discount the edge they got.  As is, they won 4-3.

55 minutes ago, John_Brian_K said:

Shame and the digging.  Doubt they win anyway or they would not have gone through all the trouble to cheat.  The edge in KNOWING if a fastball is coming is HUGE IMO.

Even if they won 4-0 you cannot discount the edge they got.  As is, they won 4-3.

I don't know.  Part of winning the World Series is all of the celebration and stuff that goes with it, and that cannot be taken away.  Winning the final game, the post game champagne, the victory parade, the adulation.  The can take the title away, but that stuff can't be.

And, so, its a vacated title, but big deal.  That's a few titles ago, so I'm not sure how much it really takes away from that season now.

And even if you assume that the cheating was the difference between Los Angeles and Houston, and Los Angeles should have won the World Series (which, I'm not sure how you can really prove that), then what?  Do you retroactively award the World Series to the Dodgers?  How does that work in a real and tangible sense?

Did the report say they cheated during the postseason?  Thought I read their system didn’t work because of crowd noise 

49 minutes ago, Casimir said:

I don't know.  Part of winning the World Series is all of the celebration and stuff that goes with it, and that cannot be taken away.  Winning the final game, the post game champagne, the victory parade, the adulation.  The can take the title away, but that stuff can't be.

And, so, its a vacated title, but big deal.  That's a few titles ago, so I'm not sure how much it really takes away from that season now.

And even if you assume that the cheating was the difference between Los Angeles and Houston, and Los Angeles should have won the World Series (which, I'm not sure how you can really prove that), then what?  Do you retroactively award the World Series to the Dodgers?  How does that work in a real and tangible sense?

A personal thing then maybe?  Having the title taken away would suck IMO.  You would look back on the memories and unless you KNEW the other team was doing that or something VERY similar then it would be a bitter memory, not bitter/sweet straight bitter.  Even now if I was on that team I would be embarrassed.  I would have been embarrassed back then as well, but most likely would have kept my mouth shut because of peer pressure.

Again it depends on the person.  For me, to have the title officially vacated would suck.

Then nothing.  The title for that year is vacated.  No one retroactively gets anything.  Tangibly?  You take away the trophy, you take the names off the history books, you take down the banners.  All of that would suck hard IMO.