Casimir

11/12/2019 7:30 Detroit Pistons at Miami Heat

31 minutes ago, Sydney_Fife said:

Best course of action is to trade Drummond. Get something for him before you let him walk away. 

Best course of action is for Gores to sell to an owner who has a clue and/or can form a coherent sentence and/or can refrain from looking like a drunk/high fool in public.

1 minute ago, Deleterious said:

To a nursing home?

Probably shots a better percentage in the paint than Bruce Brown

So, how many more loses do we need for Gores to allow this front office to become sellers in January?

5 minutes ago, Betrayer said:

So, how many more loses do we need for Gores to allow this front office to become sellers in January?

Fat chance of that happening. Gores has made it very clear that he believes in this "core". He might sell off an expiring contract.

• Sad 1

Dont fall behind by so much and you wont have to mount a desperate come back. 

is anyone really surprised that the pistons are 4-8 and blake has barely played?

5 hours ago, Buddha said:

is anyone really surprised that the pistons are 4-8 and blake has barely played?

I am.  Only in the sense that people tell me how great Andre is.  Or how he is a max player, an all start, etc.

Let me delete Andre and pick any other max/great/all start type player and they win a lot more than 33% of their games in the east.

8 hours ago, Aaron said:

Dont fall behind by so much and you wont have to mount a desperate come back. 

This sounds very similar to something my dad would say when trying to accomplish a task.  "If you do it right the first time, you won't have to do it again."

3 hours ago, Deleterious said:

I am.  Only in the sense that people tell me how great Andre is.  Or how he is a max player, an all start, etc.

Let me delete Andre and pick any other max/great/all start type player and they win a lot more than 33% of their games in the east.

This.

But Gores likes him, so that's nice.

4 hours ago, Deleterious said:

You've been reading too much DBB.

I think Andre is a talented player with limitations, and that his particular talent isn't all that valuable in today's game as other talents are.  I also think he is a physically talented defensive player, but that he makes a lot of mistakes and bonehead plays because he IS so physically talented (like reaching for steals because he can, but then fouling people 15 feet from the basket).

He's gotten a little bit better at everything almost every single year of his career.  While still not a great player and still a limited player in many respects, there's something to be said for that.  Conversely, he does seem to fail to realize what his great gift is and what his limitations are, which results in a lot of dumb Andre "coast to coast" or a period of time when it was "I'm going to shoot threes".  Really annoying little things like that instead of "I'm going to roll to the basket and God help you if you get in my way."

Relatedly, it never ceases to amaze me when athletes are either unaware of, or are unwilling to, simply play to their strengths and try to mask their weaknesses.

Seems such an obvious thing to do.

11 minutes ago, Buddha said:

He's gotten a little bit better at everything almost every single year of his career.  While still not a great player and still a limited player in many respects, there's something to be said for that.  Conversely, he does seem to fail to realize what his great gift is and what his limitations are, which results in a lot of dumb Andre "coast to coast" or a period of time when it was "I'm going to shoot threes".  Really annoying little things like that instead of "I'm going to roll to the basket and God help you if you get in my way."

3 minutes ago, Mr. Bigglesworth said:

Relatedly, it never ceases to amaze me when athletes are either unaware of, or are unwilling to, simply play to their strengths and try to mask their weaknesses.

I guess there are two things that are true that are always in tension. You do need a player to play to his strengths, but you also want him to work on/try to get better at what he doesn't do well if he can. Andre is a poster child both ways. Look at his FT shooting this season. Who would have made any kind of bet on him getting to 69% in 2017? Maybe it's as much a matter of understanding the appropriate timing. I don't mind if Andre tries a jump shot in a game once in a while if he is working on them every day in practice - it's doing it when  you just can't tolerate a bad possession.

All of which is not even the main issue with Andre which is less his skill or game tactics than his inconsistent mental energy.

From a Q&A with James L. Edwards III:

Why is Christian wood’s minutes keep being inconsistent. Why is thon maker seemingly ahead of wood on the rotation when it seems that thon maker has not been as good statistically as Wood this season

As I said in a earlier comment, I can pinpoint three or four plays a game where Wood doesn’t know where he’s supposed to be. I’d imagine that drives a coach crazy. Thon has physical deficiencies, but at least the coach can trust him to be in the right spot — in most cases.

Later on he said expect to see a lot more zone from Detroit.  They simply can't guard anyone on-ball.

55 minutes ago, Deleterious said:

Westbrook has 4 fouls in the 1st quarter.

and still chucking up midrange jumpers.